“Amazing Service for our wedding weekend!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8080 S Main Street, Houston, TX 77025   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #169 of 451 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Amazing Service for our wedding weekend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the weekend of April 20th, 2013. This was my wedding weekend and we reserved a block of 20 rooms for the bridal party, family and out of town guests. We chose this location because it was extremely close to our wedding venue, its free breakfast buffet (which is tough to find in the medical center) and the size a quality of its rooms.

We contacted the hotel approximately 2 months before our wedding regarding the rooms. From then on we were in constant contact with Walker and the entire staff. We were a rather complicated reservation which involved 20 rooms, varying check in and check out dates and multiple master credit cards which were used only for specific rooms. We provided Walker with a “rooming list” but there were adjustments that needed to be made and Walker was willing to accommodate our last minute changes without difficulty.

From check-in, we were extremely impressed by the organization and hospitality of the entire staff. They had our room reservations pre-printed and ready to go which made the process extremely quick and efficient. We arranged for our hair & makeup artists to arrive to the hotel at 5am to begin hair and makeup. The hotel provided us with a meeting room so we could get our hair and makeup done with plenty of space as well as privacy. The person at the front desk even prepared 2 pots of coffee at 5am just for us because he knew we were waking up so early and had a long day ahead.

Everyone truly enjoyed the breakfast that began at 6:30am. My maid of honor does not eat pork and she asked if the eggs contained bacon. When she was told they did, she easily found other items to eat because there were so many other options. While we were in the meeting room during hair and makeup, a hotel employee came to us and said that they made a special batch of bacon free eggs and that they were ready for us to eat whenever we were ready. We were all EXTREMELY shocked at how thoughtful that was. We never experienced such kindness and hospitality from any hotel.

Due to past experiences with other hotel chains, we expressed to Walker that the brides side and grooms side would be on different master credit cards and that the guests were not to be shown their bills or allowed to pay no matter how much they insisted. The entire staff honored our request without fail.

My husband & I returned to the hotel the day after the wedding to “settle the bill” and make sure everything was taken care of. They already prepared for us a folder with all our bills, separated by master credit card. They were more excited to see us and see wedding pictures than to talk about the bills!

Needless to say, this hotel went above and beyond our expectations. We were extremely satisfied with the quality of rooms and exceptional service we received this weekend. Everyone knows that weddings are quite stressful and we are thankful that we chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Walker V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Fi Matthew,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us here. We know you had other options in the area, and are grateful to have had the opportunity to host you during your wedding.

While we often get reviewed, very few are as touching and thoughtful as yours. It will be shared with the entire staff, to encourage them along our goal of being a leader in service for the Medical Center.

Thank you again for staying, and for your very kind review, if you anyone else in your family ever needs a place to stay in Houston, we would be more than honored to host yall again.

Walker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Covington, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

It is clean, comfortable, love the rooms, very spacious. The people at the front desk very helpful and friendly. It is just very convinient, quite, just a nice place to stay the night for business or medical trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Walker V, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Abb265,

Thank you very much for reviewing us here. It means a lot to us. We know your time is valuable, and you had a number of lodging options in the area.

We are super pleased you enjoyed your rooms, our staff, and the location. It is always a pleasure to hear that we are doing our job well. Your comments will be shared with staff, as reinforcement to continue our efforts to make our hotel a leader in Medical Center service.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful and kind comments. We hope we have the honor of serving you again in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

To start let me say that I am not a hotel snob and we stay in hotels 25-30 nights per year. I was in Houston for a food show that was being hosted at the Crown Plaza. I called the reservation desk and the only room available in the area was at this hotel. It was a king suite. Was told it was a two room suite. I was traveling with an employee. Not my first choice, but we would make it work.
When we got to the show, the gentleman handling the convention at the Crown informed me that he had some openings, due to cancellations, at the Crown. When he found out that we were staying at the Holiday Inn Express he asked for my reservation number to see if they would do a courtesy move to the sister property at the Crown. When he called the Holiday Inn Express he spoke to a woman named Debbie. She said no, I could not change my reservation (it was past the cancellation date and time). He asked to talk to the manager of the hotel to go above her. She said no, the manager was in a meeting. She would not give the message to the manager. I thanked him for trying.
We went to the hotel, and while waiting in line watched 2 different people come in and ask for a room - they were refused because they had no rooms available. We also witnessed a man who had lost his room keys and asked Debbie for a new room key. She scolded him for loosing his keys and then gave him one key. He asked for another key, she said no, he could only have one key. Really?? We checked in and went to our room. The room did not have a separate bedroom, it did have a pull out sofa, but it was so dirty I was not about to let my employee sleep on it. We ended up sharing a single bed. Awkward!!!!!!!

At check in we were told that the shuttle ran at the top of the hour, so we caught the shuttle to the Crown where the dinner for the convention was being hosted. The shuttle was filthy. Stains on the seats, dirt everywhere. We were dropped off and the shuttle driver gave us a card to call to get picked up. The driver told us that if he wasn't busy that the 8:00p.m. shuttle may be the last shuttle that he would run, and that we could catch a cab back. Not what we were told when I made the reservation.

Called the number on the card at 7:40 to schedule a ride back at 8:00. No one answered, so I left a message. I also called the hotel at 7:50 to make sure we would get picked up. At 8:20 we called the hotel again (we were only 1.7 miles away), to make sure we were getting picked up. Finally picked up at 8:37. The shuttle driver was talking to us and then said that the people at the hotel were f***ing stupid. I agreed with him but really?

We didn't use any of the facilities, including breakfast because that was part of the convention at the Crown. The room was nothing special but ok, but I have never had an experience like this at a Holiday Inn. I run a small business, and customer service is the name of the game. If I ever caught any of my employees talking to my customers the way this crew did, I would fire them on the spot. If I had been allowed to change my reservation to the Crown, I would have gotten 2 rooms and IHC corporation would not have been out one penny.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Walker V, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Deb78063,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and you had a number of options for lodging in the area.

We apologize for issues encountered with shuttle and staff. We assure you your experience was not standard operating procedure for our establishment, and that we will immediately address your concerns here at property.

We take the comments and feedback of valued guests, like you, very seriously. We will use your comments to target opportunity areas. Thank you again for choosing us, and taking the time to share your feedback. We hope you continue to choose IHG properties in the future.

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed here for my daughters DR. appointments and was very pleased with the location and the staff.We have stayed at other area hotels and this one is by far the best for the price and location. We will try to stay here when we have to come back to houston area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Walker V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Andrew M,

Thanks for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and that you had a number of lodging options in the area.

We are glad you enjoyed our facilities and staff. We are even more pleased that you found us to be superior to the hotels nearby.

Thank you again for your review. It was kind and thoughtful, and we hope we have the honor of hosting you again soon

Walker Valco
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was a nice hotel to stay at during a weekend trip to Houston. It is next door to the Medical Center and Reliant Stadium. It's a little "out of the way" from the heart of the city, but there is a free shuttle that takes you to the lite rail and from there it is easy to get to downtown.
We really appreciated the mini fridge in the room and the free parking. The rooms were clean and staff very friendly.
The only negative thing about our stay was the slamming doors. Unfortunately, the doors don't slow down when you let go, and if you don't close the door carefully it slams shut. Our partying neighbors had their doors opening and shutting late into the night. However, when I reported this problem to the front desk, security came up and spoke to them.
Overall, this is a nice hotel for budget conscious travelers, business people or somebody going to the Medical Center or a sporting event/concert. I don't believe it is ideal for a romantic getaway or somebody wanting to party late into the night in the Uptown area.
(NOTE: We booked this hotel through a third-party system so we got a discounted rate. I am unsure of the normal rates of this hotel. For our rate I believe we got excellent value for our money)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Walker V, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Gillis47,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and you had a number of lodging options in the area.

We are glad you found our staff to be friendly, and the rooms to be clean. We apologize for your noisy neighbors, but are glad we were able to address it in some measure. We also apologize for the slamming doors. The concerns of valued guests, like you, help us to target opportunity areas. We will work to find a solution to the automatic door-closers, to make them less jarring.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us here, we hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future.

mobile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night in order to keep a doctor's appt at MD Anderson. When making the reservation, we asked if a medical rate was available which we were subsequently given. Upon check-in, we were asked for "proof" of a medical reason for our stay in order to be given that rate. I had to show the desk clerk my appointment schedule at the medical center. I was so stunned at the request that I simply showed her my appointments. However, I consider that request to be the highest breach of privacy. Had I the opportunity to rethink my response, I would have refused and would have gone elsewhere. I will not choose to stay at this hotel again because of my experience. Nor will I recommend this hotel to anyone. I have had appointments at MD Anderson for the past 2 1/2 years and have stayed a couple of different area hotels. Never have I been asked for "proof".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Walker V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Mobile 22

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable

We apologize if you perceived our rate policies to be intrusive. We prefer only people with genuine medical issues such as yourself utilizing the very deep discount.

Thank you for staying and we hope you choose us again in the future. If you wish to speak more about your experience, management is happy to speak with you at your leisure.

At Your Service

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Excellent location to stay when attending to business at the Baylor College of Medicine. Hotel provides a shuttle to the medical centers; hotel is near to many restaurants within walking distance. Room was spacious and clean; free breakfast provided.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Walker V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
QueenBee,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We know your time is valuable, and you had many options for your trip to Baylor.

We are glad you found our shuttle, location, and rooms to be satisfying.

Thank you again for staying with us, and your kind review. We hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the near future.

Walker V

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center? Share your experiences!