Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8080 S Main Street, Houston, TX 77025   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #175 of 454 Hotels in Houston
“No Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

To start let me say that I am not a hotel snob and we stay in hotels 25-30 nights per year. I was in Houston for a food show that was being hosted at the Crown Plaza. I called the reservation desk and the only room available in the area was at this hotel. It was a king suite. Was told it was a two room suite. I was traveling with an employee. Not my first choice, but we would make it work.
When we got to the show, the gentleman handling the convention at the Crown informed me that he had some openings, due to cancellations, at the Crown. When he found out that we were staying at the Holiday Inn Express he asked for my reservation number to see if they would do a courtesy move to the sister property at the Crown. When he called the Holiday Inn Express he spoke to a woman named Debbie. She said no, I could not change my reservation (it was past the cancellation date and time). He asked to talk to the manager of the hotel to go above her. She said no, the manager was in a meeting. She would not give the message to the manager. I thanked him for trying.
We went to the hotel, and while waiting in line watched 2 different people come in and ask for a room - they were refused because they had no rooms available. We also witnessed a man who had lost his room keys and asked Debbie for a new room key. She scolded him for loosing his keys and then gave him one key. He asked for another key, she said no, he could only have one key. Really?? We checked in and went to our room. The room did not have a separate bedroom, it did have a pull out sofa, but it was so dirty I was not about to let my employee sleep on it. We ended up sharing a single bed. Awkward!!!!!!!

At check in we were told that the shuttle ran at the top of the hour, so we caught the shuttle to the Crown where the dinner for the convention was being hosted. The shuttle was filthy. Stains on the seats, dirt everywhere. We were dropped off and the shuttle driver gave us a card to call to get picked up. The driver told us that if he wasn't busy that the 8:00p.m. shuttle may be the last shuttle that he would run, and that we could catch a cab back. Not what we were told when I made the reservation.

Called the number on the card at 7:40 to schedule a ride back at 8:00. No one answered, so I left a message. I also called the hotel at 7:50 to make sure we would get picked up. At 8:20 we called the hotel again (we were only 1.7 miles away), to make sure we were getting picked up. Finally picked up at 8:37. The shuttle driver was talking to us and then said that the people at the hotel were f***ing stupid. I agreed with him but really?

We didn't use any of the facilities, including breakfast because that was part of the convention at the Crown. The room was nothing special but ok, but I have never had an experience like this at a Holiday Inn. I run a small business, and customer service is the name of the game. If I ever caught any of my employees talking to my customers the way this crew did, I would fire them on the spot. If I had been allowed to change my reservation to the Crown, I would have gotten 2 rooms and IHC corporation would not have been out one penny.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Walker V, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Deb78063,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and you had a number of options for lodging in the area.

We apologize for issues encountered with shuttle and staff. We assure you your experience was not standard operating procedure for our establishment, and that we will immediately address your concerns here at property.

We take the comments and feedback of valued guests, like you, very seriously. We will use your comments to target opportunity areas. Thank you again for choosing us, and taking the time to share your feedback. We hope you continue to choose IHG properties in the future.

Walker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed here for my daughters DR. appointments and was very pleased with the location and the staff.We have stayed at other area hotels and this one is by far the best for the price and location. We will try to stay here when we have to come back to houston area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Walker V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Andrew M,

Thanks for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and that you had a number of lodging options in the area.

We are glad you enjoyed our facilities and staff. We are even more pleased that you found us to be superior to the hotels nearby.

Thank you again for your review. It was kind and thoughtful, and we hope we have the honor of hosting you again soon

Walker Valco
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was a nice hotel to stay at during a weekend trip to Houston. It is next door to the Medical Center and Reliant Stadium. It's a little "out of the way" from the heart of the city, but there is a free shuttle that takes you to the lite rail and from there it is easy to get to downtown.
We really appreciated the mini fridge in the room and the free parking. The rooms were clean and staff very friendly.
The only negative thing about our stay was the slamming doors. Unfortunately, the doors don't slow down when you let go, and if you don't close the door carefully it slams shut. Our partying neighbors had their doors opening and shutting late into the night. However, when I reported this problem to the front desk, security came up and spoke to them.
Overall, this is a nice hotel for budget conscious travelers, business people or somebody going to the Medical Center or a sporting event/concert. I don't believe it is ideal for a romantic getaway or somebody wanting to party late into the night in the Uptown area.
(NOTE: We booked this hotel through a third-party system so we got a discounted rate. I am unsure of the normal rates of this hotel. For our rate I believe we got excellent value for our money)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Walker V, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Gillis47,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and you had a number of lodging options in the area.

We are glad you found our staff to be friendly, and the rooms to be clean. We apologize for your noisy neighbors, but are glad we were able to address it in some measure. We also apologize for the slamming doors. The concerns of valued guests, like you, help us to target opportunity areas. We will work to find a solution to the automatic door-closers, to make them less jarring.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us here, we hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future.

mobile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night in order to keep a doctor's appt at MD Anderson. When making the reservation, we asked if a medical rate was available which we were subsequently given. Upon check-in, we were asked for "proof" of a medical reason for our stay in order to be given that rate. I had to show the desk clerk my appointment schedule at the medical center. I was so stunned at the request that I simply showed her my appointments. However, I consider that request to be the highest breach of privacy. Had I the opportunity to rethink my response, I would have refused and would have gone elsewhere. I will not choose to stay at this hotel again because of my experience. Nor will I recommend this hotel to anyone. I have had appointments at MD Anderson for the past 2 1/2 years and have stayed a couple of different area hotels. Never have I been asked for "proof".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Walker V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Mobile 22

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable

We apologize if you perceived our rate policies to be intrusive. We prefer only people with genuine medical issues such as yourself utilizing the very deep discount.

Thank you for staying and we hope you choose us again in the future. If you wish to speak more about your experience, management is happy to speak with you at your leisure.

At Your Service

Walker V
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Excellent location to stay when attending to business at the Baylor College of Medicine. Hotel provides a shuttle to the medical centers; hotel is near to many restaurants within walking distance. Room was spacious and clean; free breakfast provided.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Walker V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
QueenBee,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We know your time is valuable, and you had many options for your trip to Baylor.

We are glad you found our shuttle, location, and rooms to be satisfying.

Thank you again for staying with us, and your kind review. We hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the near future.

Walker V
Paramus, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights back in late December. The hotel is conveniently located near many convenience stores and familiar chain and fast food restaurants. However, you'll need a car to get to these places as Main Street is not very pedestrian friendly and the immediate area around the hotel was not entirely safe.

The lobby area is compact, with a small seating area in front of the front desk. Check in was quick. My room was on the second floor of the two story hotel, which can be accessed by the elevator or by staircase within the lobby.

The rooms are up to current Holiday Inn Express standards, with subdued creme colored walls, modern decor and furniture. There is a separate wetbar area near the entryway and bathroom that houses a microwave oven and small fridge. My king bedded room had a small sofabed. The desk was right by the window. There is a huge 46 inch LCD TV, which I thought was too large for the room, but works fine.

Room amenities are: Iron/ironing board, microwave oven, safe, refrigerator, clock radio without mp3 connections.

Bathroom amenities are: hair dryer, coffee maker, shampoo, conditioner, lotion.

My gripes about the room are: (1) It's too dark. Although the photos of the rooms in the website are bright, In reality, my room (facing the next door apartment complex) was pretty dark during the day, even though I had all of the lights on in the room. (2) The wifi is unreliable and inconvenient: There is an annoying acknowledgement screen that you have to agree to, and it has to be renewed every time you turn your computer on. In addition the connection is slow...even downloading attachments to e-mails took a while! So, if you're staying for a couple nights on business and need to get work done....this may not be the hotel for you.

The complimentary breakfast is served in a small pantry/dining area at the back of the lobby, behind the staircase. Again, it was standard Holiday Inn Express fare...cinnamon buns, a selection of cereals, eggs, biscuits, bacon or sausage (changes every day), pastries, breads, yogurt..etc. Since it was small room, the dining area can get full when the hotel is busy.

Overall, the service is OK...the hotel staff was responsive to my needs, but generally I didn't feel welcome or get a friendly response. Maybe that's just the culture of the local area or the hotel itself. If you're just need a place to crash for a night or two, this is a perfectly fine place to stay. If you are going to be in town for a couple of nights, and need to get some work done in your room, perhaps you should look elsewhere!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Walker V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Mr Krispies,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us here. Your review was thorough and thoughtful. We know your time is valuable, and you had a number of lodging options in the area, and are glad we had the honor of hosting you.

We are happy you found our rooms to be up to standard, and that check in was quick and hassle free. Your catalog of our rooms amenities and features was quite complete. Thank you very much for mentioning your concerns about the internet and lighting. Feedback from valued guests, like you, allow us to target opportunities for improvement. We will address these opportunity area's shortly.

We want everyone's service experience to be better than OK, and assure you, if you visit us again, we will make your stay. If you wish to speak with management further about your experience, we are happy to make time whenever you are available. Thank you again for your thoughtful and complete review. We hope you continue to choose Holiday Inn Express

Carrollton, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I chose this location based on reviews and I was dissappointed. I have stayed at several Holiday Inn Express locations and unfortunately this one was the worst. Let me start with the positives, the staff was very friendly, especially the lady who coordinates the breakfast. The breakfast selection was good and my daughter and I especially enjoyed the cookies in the lobby. Upon checking in, I was able to get a better rate than I orginally made the reservation for just by asking. The location near Reliant Park and the restaurants are a huge plus which is why I gave a 3 star rating.

The negatives. The first impression upon walking in was the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke at the entrance and front desk. I later realized it was the staff who was smoking at the entrance. Ugh!!. Our room was on the first floor and it had a sour smell as soon as we walked in. I turned on the ac and lit our travel candle to take care of the smell. I could have requested another room, but after our long drive, I was too tired. The bed was extremely uncomfortable. I am not picky but it was equivalent to sleeping on the floor. I have stayed at other HI Express, even since this location and had no problems with the beds.

Would I come back? No. For the money, you can do better at several locations within a couple mile radius.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
TxBarb3,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and you have a number of option in the area for lodging and hotels.

We are happy you enjoyed our breakfast, cookies, and staff. We take pride in all three. We are also glad we were able to negotiate a better rate for you.

We apologize about your experience at the hotel entrance, and your experience with the bed being too firm. We recently purchased pillow top mattresses, and they will be available should you choose us again in the future, we have also moved the employee smoking area farther from the entrance. Feedback from valued guests, like you, helps us to target these opportunity area's and we appreciate your candor.

Thank you again for staying, and your review. We hope you continue to choose Holiday Inn Express for your future lodging needs.

Walker V.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Medical Center? Share your experiences!