“Cute and quaint just west of downtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Houston West University

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Houston West University to your Saves list
Residence Inn Houston West University
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2939 Westpark Drive, Houston, TX 77005 (Greenway/ Upper Kirby)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #120 of 451 hotels in Houston
Bulverde, Texas
“Cute and quaint just west of downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

I really liked this hotel although I think it was a little overpriced for the size of the room. I stayed in the queen suite with my 6 yr old and a 13 yr old. I liked the suite because it had 2 tv's, and they are the lcd tvs. this was a very nice option...very large tvs too. The rooms are very tightly done, but manageable. The one thing I didn't like it that you have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom, so even though the room has a door on it , well you get the picture. The staff was wonderful and even though the clerk got me a little lost, he was so sweet and apologetic. He knew alternate ways to get to the galleria, which is about a 10 minute drive if you don't take the highway. I would recommend taking the highway. Even though there are toll roads, I did not hit a single toll coming from San Antonio, to Highway 610 South, to Highway 59 north. The hotel is just off this highway. The pool area was well maintained and is open until 10 pm. the hot tub temperature was way too warm and very uncomfortable.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

I searched long and hard for the best hotel for the money for my solo leisure trip to Houston/Galveston. I wanted a considerably nice room at a hotel that offered free wireless Internet service, free breakfast, free parking, and at least a microwave in the room. While many of the "upscale" hotels may offer more luxurious rooms, they charge ridiculous daily fees for Internet usage and parking and do not offer the free breakfast or even have microwaves in the rooms. After too many hours of researching hotels, I finally settled on this particular Residence Inn. Because I was somewhat leery of the hotel due to some of the reviews posted here, the hotel's overall rating on this site, and my prior stay at a different Residence Inn some months ago. So my intent was to check into the hotel for one night and find another hotel the next day.
I have a GPS so finding the hotel was not a problem. I was not alarmed to see a Courtyard Hotel when I turned into the parking lot because at the lot entrance was a sign for both the Courtyard and the Residence Inn. I parked without a fee.
I was warmly greeted by a member of the staff at the front desk and my registration was quickly processed. She gave me the key to my room, a map, and directions to my room.
First, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had to go through a door that led me back inside the hotel to an elevator that took me to my room on the 2nd floor. At the last Residence Inn I stayed, the door to my room was accessed from the outside, which does not feel as safe. The hotel still looks and smells new (no strange odors). The corridor was spotless.
I entered my room - a studio with a queen bed - and my eyes widened with surprise. The room was very nice. It was nicely furnished with matching pieces and color-coordinated quite well. The studio has a full kitchen with bar table/2 bar-sized chairs, fridge, microwave, stovetop, dishwasher, coffee maker, pots, pans, silverware, cooking utensils, and cupboards that match the wood furnishings.
The sink countertop in the bathroom, the shower wall and the window sills are all made of granite.
The room also has a flat-screen television.
I instantly knew I would not be going anywhere, that I would be staying at this hotel.
Now, as I prepare to leave the hotel, I can say that I highly recommend this Residence Inn to all who are seeking a hotel with a total package, nicley priced. I have thoroughly enjoyed my five-day, four-night stay here. The free breakfast with waffles and strawberry topping and whip cream, along with several other breakfast items, was quite good. The staff is friendly and eager to assist. I should also add here how I wanted to attend the 8:30a Sunday service at the Lakewood Church (Pastored by Joel Osteen) and called the front desk about 8:10a to request the shuttle service (I knew the church was only 2 minutes away per my GPS). I was initially told that the shuttle only does drop-offs at the top of every hour, but after hearing the disappointment in my voice I was told to come on down and the shuttle would take me to the church. By the way, the service was great. After it ended, I called for the shuttle to pick me up, and the driver was there in less than five minutes.
I honestly have no complaints about this hotel (well, maybe one - the iron in the room didn't iron too well but was sufficient for the casual clothes I wore. Otherwise, I would have requested another one).
This hotel thought of it all and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Florida Alps
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Great place, hard to find because of signage restrictions. It's behind the Courtyard at the same entrance. West Park is a parallel road to Hwy 59.

Great staff. Lots of folks staying there that go to Texas Medical Center or Anderson Clinic. Super friendly staff and great shuttle service.

Guadalajara, Chick Fil A, and Goode Seafood restaraunts across highway. Krogers, HEB and large collection of shops and restaraunts just down the street.

Close to TMC, Anderson Clinic, Rice University, Lakewood Church, Museums and not to far from Galleria.

Only negative large church/school groups that stay there overwhelm the breakfast area and pool/noise.

Not spectacular but on of the best places to stay for convienence and comfort. D Snyder

Caithness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I have just spent a 5 week stay followed by a 6 week stay at this hotel, I was on business but was so impressed by the hotel and location, I flew my wife and 3 children out from the uk to stay with me for 3 weeks during this time. Although I was working we all had a great time staying at the hotel and would definetly recommend it to others. The rooms are well sized, very clean, has a good pool and the staff and food was excellent. A special mention to Phylis the cook who really looks after everyone...thank you.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

I stayed at the Residence Inn because it was convenient to a hospital where a friend was being treated. Not a scenic location by any stretch of the imagination, but it's good if you are staying at a nearby medical facility. Many restaurants nearby. The staff were extremely friendly, professional and solicitous. When they didn't know the answer to something, they tried to find out. The room was very clean. I got an upgrade to a two room suite with my Marriott rewards card, although I don't have that many points on the card -- I just asked. Unlike some residence hotels, the kitchen was stocked with cooking utensils, plates, dish washing soap, etc. Windows are locked shut, but they had someone unlock them for me. Bathroom amenities are find. Good water pressure on shower. Huge selection of food for breakfast, some good quality (e.g., fresh fruit), some not so much (e.g., packaged donuts). Very comfortable dining area. Computers were not always working, but the sister hotel next door allows guests to use theirs, including printer -- no fee. Nice outdoor pool. Here was the problem: When I arrived at the Houston airport, I took a taxi to the hotel. At my departure, I asked the front desk clerk call me a taxi to the airport. When the car arrived, the clerk informed me that it was a car service that would be cheaper and "safer" than a taxi. First of all, it was more expensive for a shorter drive (flat rate of $65). Second, I'm concerned if hotel staff don't feel that taxis in the area are safe. I did comment to Marriott on their web site and received what I feel is an unsatisfactory answer: that they have some kind of arrangement with the car service and that they were not aware that it cost more. This was not a big blip for an otherwise good experience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

Having just returned from a 4 day stay in Houston for a family function, I have to say that Residence Inn was a very good choice. Room was clean, breakfast was more than ample, and the small workout room (2 Precor treadmills, recumbant bike, stair climber and free weights) was fine for my wife and me. Further, the price was very reasonable. Hotel is near a plethora of restaurants and shopping, as well. Finally, the front desk staff was very outgoing. We would definitely stay again for the value, convenience and cleanliness.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

While in town in Houston, I took advantage of a relative's "friends and family" discount to stay at the Residence Inn in Houston. I room was fine but the staff I found to be a bit incompetent.

First, they said they did not receive the proper paperwork from my relative, which precipitated a call to her and her jumping through hoops to get them the necessary documentation, only to find out later that it was right where it should have been - in their book of faxes. Additionally, we asked for directions to the ballpark and while one honestly said that she did not know and did not try to give us directions, another tried to wing it without knowing for sure. The subsequent roaming around a rather dodgy-looking neighborhood while searching for the park wasting our time. He could have simply said he did not know which would have been perfectly fine.

The room itself was very comfortable, clean and useful and we really enjoyed it. If I could stay there again without dealing with their staff, I will stay there again. Otherwise, I might search out other options the next time I'm in Houston.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The front desk staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Residence Inn Houston West University? Share your experiences!