“My choice of hotel when visiting for an Astros game.” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #96 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sulphur, Louisiana
“My choice of hotel when visiting for an Astros game.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My daughter and I checked in on Friday, May 1st. The hotel was easy to find, the valet attendants were kind and patient (it took us a while to get everything together), and check in was a breeze. Everyone was pleasant and friendly and made us feel very welcome.
Our room was upgraded to a junior suite and we couldn't have been happier. I have no complaints about anything in the room or the hotel itself. It was clean, spacious, and had everything we needed. My daughter forgot her toothbrush but the front desk gave her one along with toothpaste at no charge. Saved me from walking 5 blocks to the nearest drug store. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The AC worked extremely well. We had free wi-fi because we are Starwood Preferred Guests (SPG). I believe it is available for a fee in other rooms, although free wi-fi is available in the lobby.
There is ongoing construction at properties around the hotel and they even provided earplugs so the noise wouldn't bother us (which it didn't at all).
After the game last night we ordered room service. Our call was answered right away, we ordered a turkey burger with fries and a club sandwich with chips. We were told it would be 25-35 minutes but received our food in about 20. The gentleman who delivered the food was very polite and friendly, informing us he'd be there all night in case we wanted to call and order dessert later on. The food was plentiful. I could only eat half of the club sandwich and couldn't finish the chips. My daughter couldn't quit raving about the fries and her burger. While it wasn't inexpensive, it wasn't an unreasonable amount either.
While checking out today (May 2nd), the gentleman at the desk, Rudy, wanted to make sure our stay was everything we had hoped it would be. I told him it most certainly was and he told me if it wasn't to let him know and he would make it right.
Rudy and everyone else at this hotel were so much more than we were expecting. We are actually planning another trip to Houston just so we can go back and stay here again.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The staff was below average, their engagement was not genuine. They were monotone in their interactions and were not engaging. The bell staff and the front desk were the most disappointing. It was obvious we were there for a celebration but not one employee asked us why we were visiting Houston. The bell Ryan who took our luggage up never once smiled or interacted with us. Also do not plan on bringing coolers, they don't allow them in the hotel because they might leak onto the floors but they will allow pets, this makes no sense. For a four diamond hotel my stay was very disappointing. If you are use to a true 4 diamond experience like at the Omni or JW no doubt you will be disappointed in this Westin.

Pros were that the bed was amazing and it was close to the ballpark.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Hotel G, General Manager at The Westin Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Matt B,

Thank you very much for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown. It deeply troubles me that you had a negative experience with our Front Office Team as this is not our standard of service. Can you please reach out to me so we can discuss further? Once again, thank you for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown.

Missouri City, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I purchased two rooms at this hotel for a girls night 40th birthday celebration. I did receive a great price through a 3rd party vendor. It was described as boutique hotel.

Pros:
• Ceiling Fan
• Very clean appointed rooms
• Quiet from church bells (I saw several reviews about the church. I had an interior room facing the inside of the hotel and did not hear church bells on Saturday morning)

Cons:
• Location - although this is very close to the stadium which does make it a high point, its also close to the stadium. This means that the safety level of the streets goes down a few notches. At dark, I wouldn't walk the streets as easily as I would on the Theatre district side of downtown.
• I can imagine during games, you will hear a lot of in and out of guests if you are not there fore a game. So we heard several doors slam often.

Pros/Cons Staff:
• Front desk staff leaves less to be desired. I called Monday prior to the Friday of our stay with notes about our celebratory birthday/girls night out. Asked if we could get two rooms side by side, preferably connecting. Also asked about floors that do not allow animals.
Pros ---- Our needs were met for Allergies
Cons ---- Our party was split in two. We had another room between our two reserved rooms.
P ---- They did try to attempt to locate a placement to get our rooms together.
C ---- Front desk didn't even offer a happy birthday to the birthday girl. We felt more like we were renewing our driver's license than a few moms without kids being out on our own for the first time in a long time. Couldn't get our keys fast enough and way from the gloom.

Parking: Valet $28.15.
Wifi - Paid for $10
Beds: Were great
Bathrooms: Large and clean

Shuttle Service: Matt
He gave the birthday girl a happy birthday and engaged conversation with excitement that we were actually there. Shuttle service was nice to take advantage off.

Room Tip: 5th Floor for those that don't do pet allergens, Valet only and will cast $28.15. The Shuttle se...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear HLGibson,

Thank you so much for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown. I appreciate you taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I have presented your review to the members of our management team and will address. Please feel free to reach out to me if I may assist you personally. Once again, thank you for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed at the downtown Westin to take our boys to an Astros game on a Friday night. It was a brilliant idea. The hotel is within a block of the stadium.

Check in was quick and painless. The front desk was also very nice and helpful with information. They even had a wagon full of toys for the kids to pick a toy to keep. The kids played with their trucks all weekend.

The room was very clean and nice. Loved the dark stone in the bathroom. The beds were very comfortable. The room also had a mini fridge.

We dropped of the car with the hotel valet and walked to the game. We didn't get the car back out until it was time to go home. The hotel is also within walking distance of Discovery Green. We walked over there for breakfast and let the kids play all morning.

We will be staying here again.

Stayed June 2014
Dear ParkerLane10,

Thank you so much for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience as a guest in our hotel! Please feel free to reach out to me personally if you need any further assistance! Once again, thank you for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown!

Kyle, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Checked into the hotel with ease, valet parking quick and efficient. Speedy service with the luggage to the room. Sarah at the front desk for check in was very firendly and helpful during our stay. We utlized the shuttle which takes you to local places in downtown Houston. The service bot going and coming was very quick. The driver very friendly and prompt. Right next door is Vic Anthony's Steakhouse which has great service and a menu.

Room Tip: We opted for an upgrade for a junior suite which was very roomy.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Andy426669,

Thank you so much for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience with the hotel. I will also extend my sincere thanks to Sarah for assisting you during your check in. Please feel free to reach out to me if I may assist you further. Once again, thank you for your review and being our guest at The Westin Houston Downtown!

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have long term business travel in Houston and as is common in my profession, i like to stay at the same hotel every week, almost always an SPG hotel, where I leave a suitcase with my own pillow, some workout gear, and toiletries.

I have been staying at the WESTIN downtown for several weeks 4 nights per week with no issue. This week I had to leave after two nights. This morning I was informed by a snooty front desk clerk that they will no longer store bags due to "we changed our policy ". No amount of explaining I'm SPG Platinum & I typically spend over $1000 a week there would move her off of "you will have to take it with you". I'll now be paying bag fees as I drag a large suitcase around the country this week.

Deal breaker for me. There are plenty of other hotels who will happily store my bag.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dear RRRRTexas,

Thank your review of The Westin Houston Downtown! I am glad that we were able to accommodate storing your luggage. If there is anything else I may assist you with personally, please feel free to reach out to me.

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The hotel itself was very nice, but a little pricey - I only stayed one night. It was close to where I was going downtown and the University. Ceiling fan in the bed room and big bathroom with lots of light was a plus. I appreciate them accomodating my need for an early check-in.

Room Tip: Had a room on the south side of the building away from elevators/vending. It was quite, although, th...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Dear KJW500,

Thank you so much for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown. I am very glad to hear that we were able to extend an early check in for you. Should you need any further assistance please feel free to reach out to me directly. Once again, thank you for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown!

Chris Ziadie

Been to The Westin Houston Downtown? Share your experiences!