“Overpriced with no trimmings” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #43 of 451 Hotels in Houston
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Overpriced with no trimmings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel made me feel that life is to short to be over paying the odds. Bar was basic, though good fun. The hotel was past it's sell by date. Will maybe check out the galleria, etc when I'm back in a few days from an impromptu visit to Central America too collect me points.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was our second trip to the Westin in downtown Houston in about 3 weeks. This trip was even better than the first! Even though there was a lot going on with football games and the baseball stadium being right next door, we were able to still have a very relaxing holiday weekend! The staff was awesome as usual! They will always greet you with a smile and wish you good day/evening! They also give great recommendations for restaurants in the area! I have to travel to Houston at times for work. I just hope I am able to book The Westin for my business trips as well!! Keep up the great work!!

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Marrero, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I selected the Westin Houston Downtown because it is right across the street from Minute Maid Park where the Astros play. They have valet parking at a reasonable price. Just text them and your car will be ready in 15 minutes. The bathroom in my room (king size single bed) had a bathtub and separate shower stall which made me chuckle, "The couple that bathes together stays together." The 11th floor no smoking corner room I was given had an excellent view of Minute Mail Park. The room was clean and offered complementary bottled water. The buffet in the restaurant was certainly adequate. Charge it to your room if you desire. Above all everyone at the Westin is smiling and helpful from valets, desk check in and out, to restaurant servers.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently stayed in a corner suite and have to admit, what a beautiful hotel and room, however, both my husband and I woke up with tremendous back aches because the bed was so uncomfortable and room service took an extremely long time to deliver our burnt food. The hotel is also right next to a church whose bells chime loudly throughout wee hours of the morning.

Outside of looks and a hop, skip and a jump to Minute Maid Park, this hotel does not have much to offer.

Room Tip: Sleep on the opposite side of the church to avoid being woken up by the bells.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Travel on business, and had the opportunity to try a new location for a 2 night stay in downtown Houston. Right next to the ball park, and right next to a great Steak Place (Vic & Anthony's), the Westin is a modern Hotel with all the charm of what you would expect a Westin to be.

The Staff was great. Know there is NO self park, so expect to pay the $26 per day valet rate, or self park at one of the other pay per parking lots in the area. But since it is next to the ball park, well if you drive up when a ball game is on, you will not find any parking in the area, and you need to valet... check in was smooth.

One note, as a Starwood Gold member, a lesson I will always remember at this property, and I pass along to you... DO NOT accept a room between x17 - x25, if you are on floor 3, it would be 317 - 325. reason, the balcony is exposed to the atrium, the lobby and all the sounds that go with the bar / restaurant and lobby music. The other rooms are not exposed to the atrium, so there is no "noise" to contend with.

Now the room, spacious for a one bedroom, with a hidden safe in the dresser (below the flat screen TV), bathroom had a very small standing shower (3 ft by 3 ft), and a regular tub with shower head... trust me, shower in the tub, you will have more space...You have plenty of sink space to spread out also.

Bed is comfortable, and there are plenty of outlets for us techno-business traveler.

would I stay here again... of course, I just will ask for a room that is more removed from the noise of the atrium. Either higher levels, or just in a quiet hallway. (and I will check to see if there is a game going on... LOL)

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel was clean, comfortable, very nicely designed. It was the best smelling hotel I've ever been in my life! Like a man's expensive cologne. HOWEVER! We used a car service to take us to a concert. The service, though carried out by a sub-contractor was set up by the Hotel Staff with a service they regularly use. It was horrible. As we were about to BOARD the cars with 5 little girls, the driver started re-negotiating the price of the service AT THE CURB!!! $20 ABOVE what the hotel staff had told us it would be!!! They then sent us with a driver that had no knowledge of the location & layout, and we missed the ENTIRE opening act of the concert!!! Then we had trouble finding the NEW driver for the ride home! At least he was nice & knew what he was doing. So why complain about the hotel? Well,...THEY SET IT UP! When we complained to a manager about the whole situation, their attitude was to wash their hands of it because it was a "CONTRACTED" service!!! This was in my opinion very poor customer service. We did get "comped" a room, but only after I mentioned to a manager that at check-in we had put in for an upgrade to a King Suite. We were told there were none available. Then our friend was chosen as the "customer of the day" & was offered the exact same upgrade that we had just been denied, for free! Plus complimentary valet parking which later showed up on her bill! At least the manager was willing to do something about that!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks their inner courtyard. It is charming!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel G, General Manager at The Westin Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear SMW W:

Thank you very much for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown. We certainly apologize for the inconvenience you suffered using the town-car service. I have confirmed with the MOD that spoke with you during your stay that your issue had been resolved upon departure and the town-car service refunded $40 dollars off your bill from the trip. Again we apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well. Should you need any further assistance, please let me know if I may assist you personally.

Be well,

Chris Ziadie
Dublin, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had been planning a stop in Houston for a few days during our annual baseball vacation and was glad when the Westin became available. I had been at this hotel before but never had the chance to stay here. The check in process was smooth and efficient. We always try and reserve a 2 bedroom suite or a suite with a separate bedroom and living room with a sofa bed. The Westin did not disappoint with its 1 bedroom suite!! The suite was very spacious with a very nice sized living room with a sofa bed, an nice easy chair, wet bar with a medium size fridge and TV on a low dresser with plenty of space. The bedroom included a king size bed, 2nd LCD TV on a medium height dresser, also with plenty of drawer space, a desk and chair and 2 nightstands, a closet was also in the bedroom. One of the best features of the room was the very spacious bathroom with double sink vanity that also included a low vanity for my friend to sit and do her hair and makeup after her shower. The toilet was in a separate room in the bathroom. The showerhead was like being in the rain, very nice and soothing and also with a spray wand on a flexible hose. As my friend said, "great bathroom"!!! The room was extremely comfortable and at night we were able to close the bedroom door so we each had our own privacy. The location of the hotel was the main reason for our choice, since it is directly across the street from Minute Maid Park, home of the Houston Astros. The restaurant served a very nice breakfast buffet, and the bar was a nice place to unwind at the end of the day. Even though the hotel is located in downtown Houston its location provided a great stepping off point for our different sightseeing excursions. I would gladly recommend this hotel for anyone traveling to Houston!!

Room Tip: Our room faced the convention center and may have been quieter than rooms facing the ballpark.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel G, General Manager at The Westin Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Denis K:

Thank you so much for your review of The Westin Houston Downtown. We truly value your feedback and I will ensure that this review is shared with our team! We are glad to hear that your stay was both relaxing and rejuvenating! Should your travels bring you back to Houston, we look forward to seeing you at The Westin Houston Downtown!

Be well,

Chris Ziadie

Been to The Westin Houston Downtown? Share your experiences!