“Still learning ” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Still learning ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

The rooms are updated and clean, especially when compared to the very old rooms at the Westins by the galleria. They have very convenient power outlets which is always a plus. The bathrooms are probably not up to westin standards but they aren't bad at all since they seem pretty new. Just a little odd to have plastic wood floors in the bathroom and the shower head is not the normal westin shower head.

This hotel is your only SPG option downtown and they know it. The staff tries hard and means well but there just isn't the crispness that you would expect, especially as a platinum member. This hotel is more geared toward one time convention people and not weekly SPG guests. They don't seem to notice that people are staying there multiple times a month and when any issue comes up it is ignored. The service express number is sometimes never answered and if it is there is a 30 percent chance that your request will be denied or forgotten about. I have never stayed in a hotel where it is so difficult to get a taxi even if I call down ahead if time. When I arrive at the valet and ask for a taxi they always look confused by the request and let me know it will be at least twenty minutes. All other downtown hotels even in Houston have taxis waiting. I think it is because this hotel is just unaware of the needs of a frequent traveler since it is geared more towards conventions. Overall the facilities are acceptable for a Westin but they lack the polish I have come to expect from SPG and show no concern for frequent SPG guests. This seems odd because they are frequently asking close to 400 a night for a room when the other hotels are asking much less.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Gorgeous hotel.Beautiful room. Generally attentive staff. Wonderful buffet. But beware of rooms on side of hotel facing Annunciation Church. Be ready for 6:00 am, pre-dawn, wake-ups with LOUD bell-ringing. 63 peals (bongs) yesterday morning. Then again, yesterday morning, at 6:30 am - about 45 peals. Then again today, at 6:00 am, pre-dawn, another 50 loud bell bongs. You can see the bell tower in the picture above. It is about 50 feet across a narrow street from the hotel. Unless you rise before 6 am, even on Saturdays and Sundays, be very, very careful with room selection. When I voiced my concern to the front desk, they told me that, yes, this has been a problem for some guests and that the only thing they could do would be to give me a room with windows facing in towards the lobby atrium (so, sacrificing light but, they said, exposed to bar sounds at night).

Why this Church would need to be pealing bells before dawn at 6:00 am in Downtown Houston, when they likely don't offer masses that early in the morning and this is not a residential area, is beyond me. It is a horrible nuisance and, really, torturous. I underscore that this is not necessarily the hotel's fault, but I do think that it should be up to Westin management to find some sort of solution. Perhaps persuade the Church only to peal the bells after 8:00 am? Or in the afternoons and evenings? Or provide better sound insulation on that side of the hotel?

It pains me to write a negative review of this hotel, especially since otherwise my stay has been a good one. The only other problem was that the hotel Wi-Fi was out on my floor for several hours. The hotel sent two staffers to my room immediately and couldn't find anything wrong with my laptop (after about half an hour of trying and three visits). My laptop was having no problem connecting to other routers. Apparently the hotel's own Wi-Fi router was defective and the staff could not do anything about it.

Again, I so wish I could write a positive review for this hotel. I really do. Westin management: PLEASE address the 6:00 am bell-ringing problem. For families traveling with young children, for guests for whom sleep-deprivation is a health hazard, and simply for guests who want to sleep until 7:30 am or 8:00 am or later, on a Saturday and Sunday no less, the loud, extended clanging of bells before dawn is not hospitable. It's torture.

Room Tip: Avoid facing Annunciation Church! At all costs!
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We were only here for one night for a wedding.. We've traveled a lot in recent weeks, and I wasn't looking forward to another hotel.. Check in was fast and easy, which meant a lot since the Houston Marathon was being run the next morning and they were fully booked by marathoners. Walking into our room felt like a cleansing deep breath of relief!. Large spacious room in relaxing colors and perfectly decorated room.. The bathroom was spacious and felt like one you would want in your home in it's layout and counter space, while using very nice but not over the top materials. Valet was very efficient with our car, café lunch was delicious as was room service breakfast. The only non rave was the view of a parking lot, but who cared! Outstanding hotel!

Room Tip: Didn't use the spa or pool.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Rutherford, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed here on business for 3 nights. The rooms are clean and functional. The hotel staff is very helpful and the hotel bar and restaurant are very good. The location is convenient for downtown houston (right accross from Minute Maid park) and there are several bars and restaurants that are within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
waco, texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed at the Westin for one night. We were in town for Advocare success school which was in Minute Maid park (across the street). The hotel was conveniently located with easy walking distance to food, entertainment, Minute Maid park & the convention center. The staff that we encountered were courteous, helpful, & knowledgeable about the area.

There were a few things that we would have liked to see improved. As I stated earlier, we stayed at the hotel for the convenience factor to Minute Maid park. However, on Saturday morning since we were checking out, we were forced to move our car to another parking lot. We were informed that if our car stayed with the mandatory valet service past check out time (12pm) we would be charged another full day. This was a little frustrating considering that we had already paid almost $30 for parking when we arrived at 5pm on Friday & then had to move our car at 8am on Saturday. If I had to do it all over again, I would have probably just parked my car in a nearby overnight garage & saved the valet money.

The other issue was that our air conditioner was very noisy. The first time we were in the room & it turned on, we looked outside to see what the commotion of about. Then we realized we were in for a treat the rest of the night :) Every time it would kick on in the middle of the night, it would wake me up and I am not a light sleeper.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have nothing but good things to say about this newly-refurbished Westin. The room was spacious, sparkling clean, and comfortable, with top-notch amenities and bedding. The check-in was fast and friendly. I parked right across the street in a metered spot--free on Saturday night and all day Sunday, so my parking was free and convenient. The public spaces are attractive and cozy. The fact that this Westin is only 4 stories and not a massive tower gives it a very pleasant, almost boutique-hotel atmosphere.

Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

If you're a baseball fan then this hotel is right next to Minute Maid Park. It is also close (walking distance) to downtown. The hotel has recently been taken over by Starwood and they have some a very nice job of refurbishing. Bar staff are very friendly and gave us lots of ideas for things to do.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Houston Downtown? Share your experiences!