“Getting very "tired" and needs attitude adjustment - NOT 4 stars!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Icon, Autograph Collection

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #27 of 470 Hotels in Houston
Raymond, ME
“Getting very "tired" and needs attitude adjustment - NOT 4 stars!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

I have been a regular guest of the Icon over the past 5 years, and this time, I noticed a HUGE drop-off in everything from cleanliness, supply, room preservation to service, which was relatively poor.

I have stayed in just about every type of room they have over the years, and on this stay, I stayed in two different rooms, after having requested a room change. The desk agent failed to mention that my first room was a HP accessible room. It had a plastic liner under the sheets, which -when combined with the duvet, negated any need to go down to the sauna in the basement. The shower had no bottom lip, and no door, so stepping onto the tile floor of the bathroom, from the shower, was an experience for the skate-board generation. The amenities were cheap, starring a shower gel dispenser that shoots .0000342 ml of fluid per pump, making it impossible to use (in ALL rooms). one lamp didn't work, and one of the bathroom lights was burned out. The room WAS big enough, though. One other problem in the HP room was that the bathroom door kept swinging wide open, and forced a wedge against the main room door. I am not handicapped, but am safety conscious, so I played around with this a bit, and found that it was VERY likely that it would open, lean against the front door in such a way as to make it impossible to push into the room in an emergency (likely scenario in an accessible room, right?) Compounding this was the fact that the closet door would add to the jam up, from the other side of the entrance way. Very seriously flawed especially for someone with a walker or worse, in a chair! Bad scene.

So I moved to another room. 3 bulbs out, including one in the bathroom and one on the main chandelier. TV to the left of the foot of the bed, on a pull out that my wife or daughter could not have moved, and when it swiveled to face the bed, it almost tipped over, off the shelf! Ouch. Cordless phone that was inaudible. This room had paint chipping from the front of the armoire, and stains on the velour couch. Yuck, what would stain with sort of a starchy ring? I wonder what it was...

OK, so here's a little sticky situation. The place has Mobil 4 star rating. The restaurant is pricy but reasonable, as the food is rather excellent. We are in there, a party of 8 sitting at a bar-table. Very comfortable, average income of each in party is well above average, professional group. There is one other party in the entire restaurant/lounge. There are 3 waiters, a bus boy, a bar tender and a hostess on duty. It is getting late enough that it is certain that there might be one or two small parties stopping in for a night cap, but that didn't happen. So all these guys sitting around talking about their tip, the manager, etc., and none really doing anything special. One of my party is absolutely craving nachos, so we call the waiter over. He tells us they don't have nachos. We ask him to check w/the chef (who is on duty with a good hour left, and nobody is ordering food.) He says he doesn't have to check, b/c there are no nachos. OK, now here is where a 4 star hotel kicks in. DIRECTLY next door, not 100 feet from where we were sitting, is a fabulous Mexican restaurant. When I used to wait on tables, I always made sure the customer was happy. I say the guy should have quietly "done what it takes" in the 2010 economy to be sure that we stayed and drank as many $8 - 10 drinks as we could. I don't get it. When I suggested that maybe he might want to run out and get some, he invited us to go over to the other place to conclude our evening. Fast forward to the end, when I eventually picked up the tab ACROSS THE STREET, it was for 24 drinks, and 2 plates of nachos, $230, and the tip was $50! This shows an amazing lack of depth and spells ruination for a hotel!

OK, so if you got this far, here is the advice. Even though the Jacuzzi rooms are nice, they are decidedly smaller than the rooms on the odd side of the hall. Odd side rooms have parking lot views until you get to the 8th or 9th floor. Jacuzzi rooms look out over Congress Street, and there are two HUGE drawbacks. 1) there is a metal grate that fits loosely on Congress Street that is permanently there for drainage. it is about 30 feet long, and every time a car runs over it, it makes a HUGE metal on metal clattering sound like someone dropped the silverware drawer onto the kitchen floor. It will wake you out of a sound sleep. 2) that is IF you CAN fall asleep because of the VERY loud jazz club, which has frequent fights outside, lots of police sirens, and you WILL wake up when the patrons leave at 2:15 and shout to one another out on the street. They have tried (unsuccessfully) to address these issues with double-pane glass, but it doesn't work, really!

If you need to stay there, be sure you get a good deal online, otherwise, stay in a safer, less bombed out looking neighborhood. If you long for the panhandlers of NOLA, this is a good place to take a walk.

'Nuff said.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed here after a holiday party. We upgraded to the Jacuzzi Suite. The room is very small and really nothing spectacular. If you are looking for a hotel downtown I suggest the Alden Hotel OR just a little further out is Hotel ZaZa which is my favorite hotel in Houston.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

Stayed 2 nights with wife and 9 month old baby. Very elegant and historic (former 1911bank, with a huge safe behind the reception!). The staff were extremely pleasant, polite and always willing to help. Booked a double room which was OK. Clean and comfortable. Only shower no bath, but no complaints as that was made clear when I booked. Had read some reviews about bigger nicer rooms so after the first night asked if it was possible to upgrade. For $25 dollars extra I got a much bigger room with a king size bed and an amazing jacuzzi connecting the huge bathroom and the room area. Just what I needed.

The hotel is located in downtown Houston. A lot of bars, restaurants etc nearby (albeit everything seemed to be relativly empty for some reason even though we arrived on a Friday evening). We went to a Mexican Bistro opposite the Hotel called Cielo. The food, drinks and service were excellent and the check was OK (we paid around $50 having had several beers, margaritas and food). The hotel valet parking was a bit hefty at $28/night + tax. There are lots of other parking lots around, most of which charge $10-15 flat rate to park overnight. A parking attendant in one of these gave us a great tip and pointed us to a public parking spce in the street for which you we had to put money in the meter. It was 4 pm on a Saturday so we put in enough for 2 hours (I think $1.50) and then there is no charge after 6 pm or on sunday! So we left the car until the following day for $1.50.

Regarding the hotel facilities, all we used was the complimentary wifi internet.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

I booked the room through orbitz.com, and got a very surprising rate. Upon check-in I discovered that the room was directly next to an elevator, and microscopic in size. Honestly, there is no way two people could have stayed in this room. Make sure you tell them that you do not want this type of room. I walked back down to the front desk, and explained that I was on vacation with my girlfriend and the room was far too small. Without hesitation, they upgraded us at no charge to an absolutely amazing room. We could not have asked for more. The room was on one of the higher floors with a south view facing the downtown skyline. The bathroom was extremely spacious (about the size of the room we had initially) with a large walk in shower and separate tub that was as deep as a swimming pool (amazing!). Room service was prompt and the food was definitely impressive albeit a bit on the expensive side. Then again, room service isn't cheap anywhere. The hotel is within walking distance of countless bars and restaurants in the downtown area. The hotel has a shuttle service that was very convenient as well. One of the employees, Tank, took us to a number of destinations in the hotel's car. Absolutely the nicest and most helpful person at the Icon. If you're looking for a place to eat near the hotel, ask to be taken to the Last Concert Cafe which is roughly a mile away on Nance St. It is a historic restaurant in Houston with great Mexican food. I cannot say enough about the Icon Hotel in Houston. Honestly I don't have a single complaint, and can't wait to stay there again. I've stayed in just about every nice hotel in Houston, and since the Warwick Hotel is no longer, I wouldn't recommend many other places than the Icon.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Mexia, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway and to visit some friends in the area. I really enjoyed my stay there and was extremely comfortable. The staff was very friendly except for the trend they often looked at me like I wasn't/shouldn't be staying there. The valet people didn't offer to get my bags at all when we pulled up and I thought this was a little odd but other than that everything was perfect. I stayed on the 12th floor and the view was great and there was tons of light. The doors don't keep out all of the outside noise and the walls seem a little thin but it wasn't really a problem since most people were respectful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Celebrated my Dad's 88th birthday in Houston, 5 rooms for our family. The Hotel is beautiful, well located and the service excellent. My father is hearing impaired and the staff set up his tv for captions and bought him a hearing impaired phone for his room. All requests were met with courtesy and a smile. We all loved the Hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed at this great hotel just for one night but it was a wonderful experience. We were upgraded from a king size bed to 2 queen at no extra cost. The room was large and comfortable; the bathroom had the largest shower tub I have ever seen, but then things are bigger in Texas! We had room service for dinner – the food was great, especially the mushroom soup and the breakfast granola next day was delicious.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family