“Beautifull hotel but HAUNTED!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #14 of 456 Hotels in Houston
Manchester
“Beautifull hotel but HAUNTED!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

On arrival at the hotel we were greeted with a cool towel to wipe our faces which was a nice touch and when entereing our room we both said WOW. it was beautifull, ecpecially the bathroom, and we have been left a little cowboy duck on the side of the bath which was nice. Brilliant tea and coffe making facility, even a small jar of honey. MAGIC mini bar!! i had a can of sprite and not long after the bill was under the door?! ha ha.

BUT - there was something not right about this hotel. I woke up 3 times in the night not being able to move my body and sensiong something was in the room and my husband who does not believe in anything spooky said that just before I wpke up he heard a voice that was not mine!! luckily we were only staying one night as I probably could not have stayed another.

So based on that experience I could never stay again but it is a gorgeous hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Oxford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Wife and i spent the night here in conjunction with a business dinner and found the hotel and staff fantastic. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and went overboard to be helpful. It was a nice quiet getway in the middle of a big city. They have done wonders with converting this old bank building and the food was outstanding. Would have liked to seen more variety for the menu though. Rooms were cozy and very well decorated.
Will go back when in town.

Room Tip: Do not rely on website if says no rooms available
Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

I stayed here for the first time in April 2011 and had a great experience. The staff is professional, down to earth and very nice. The hotel has a lot of charm and a great vibe . They offer small refrigerators on a first come first serve basis and since I was staying here for 4 days I asked for one, but they were all in use. A day later I get back to my room and a fridge in waiting for me, I open it up and it still has the tape on the shelves from the store - they actually went out and bought one for me to use - blew me away!

I normally request a room away from the elevator, but not in this case. the bed and desk are away from the hallway so there was no noise AND this corner room had 3 windows with great view of downtown. The bar and restaurant are awesome as well!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I am a fairly regular visitor to Houston on business, and stayed at Hotel Icon for the first time this past week---and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a vintage bank building converted into a boutique style hotel, and overall is very nicely done and well executed.

I was there for two nights, had drinks both nights in the hotel bar during happy hour before dinner with clients---and found the happy hour prices to be outstanding ($2 domestic bottle beers, for instance) and service to be consistently very very good. I am very low maintenance, but in my few exchange with hotel staff, they were extremely warm and helpful. I didn't have an opportunity to try the restaurant, but it appeard relatively busy in the morning during breakfast.

I would rate the room size as above average, the beds as way above average, cleanliness as outstanding, and the extremely big bathroom (I believe I had a standard room), with a separate tub and huge glass shower, as outstanding.

My two petty comments--I thought that $28 for overnight valet parking was pretty high for Texas--given the abundance of street parking in the immediate area, which I used, and there are not ice machines available, so you are requested to call room service. My ice took about five minutes to arrive---which is great, but I can see that becoming an issue during busy and peak periods.

In all---I would absolutely return to the Hotel Icon--as I found it comfortable, welcoming and very nice.

Room Tip: I had a standard room--very nice!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Icon Hotel in April 2011 for four nights. The hotel is very nice - the decor throughout the hotel is unique and charming. We were really surprised by it and were thrilled that we selected this as our hotel. We really liked our room, and the bathroom was very large with a separate shower and jacuzzi tub. We ordered room service one morning and it arrived promptly. The hotel bar offered a great happy hour each evening from Monday through Friday, and each evening offered a different drink that ranged from wine and beer to cocktails - this is a must if you stay there! Downtown Houston is quiet at night compared to other large cities, but there are a few good restaurants within walking distance, including Hearsay (just across from the hotel, which is also a nice bar) and a very good sushi restaurant -- Azuma. We also ate at two low key but very nice breakfast/lunch restaurants just a few blocks from the hotel, and these were great options if you did not want to eat at the hotel in the morning, which we thought was a bit expensive for breakfast. When we are back in Houston, we’ll definitely want to stay at Icon Hotel again! Just keep in mind that this is a popular hotel for weddings, and Friday and Saturday nights may be a bit louder compared to a weekday stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

The hotel had top of the line service from the valet staff to the room service folks. We were able to catch the light rail right outside the hotel to get to Reliant Stadium and it was only $1.25 per person. The valet staff also were available to drop and pick us up from anywhere within a 3 mile radius. The bar staff were great! I would definitely go back to stay at the Hotel Icon!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

The hotel has a convenient location in downtown Houston, close to the Opera house. The restaurant Voice serves excellent food at reasonable prices.
I stayed for one night as I had tickets for the nearby ballet. The shower in my room did not work. And so didn't the phone. So I had to dress and walk down to reception. I was told that it will be fixed, but not in time for my dinner and theatre appointment. The shower worked the next morning, but the phone still not.
And they charge an extra 20% re-stocking fee on minibar items. Isn't that hillarious? Isn't re-stocking part of a minibar anyway? Why not include the re-stocking costs in the initial published price?

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Icon, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!