“Nice hotel but poor service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Nice hotel but poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed there recently for 5 nights. The hotel was clean and on par with other 4 star rated properties. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. However, the service was very poor!
I was disappointed with the service at the front desk, where the staff lacked basic courtesy and professionalism. For instance, when I asked for a upper floor and quiet room at checkin, I was given a sixth floor corner room not far from the highway. When I went back to the front desk after seeing the room, I was told to come back the next morning, and when I went back the next morning, I was told to come back after 3 pm. I told them to call me when a quieter upper room becomes available, and never called the call. The guy who checked me in seemed to be absent minded, for I told him that I only needed one key but got two.
The bell captain was also rude and lacked basic professionalism.

, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Ken W,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton Americas-Houston experience on TripAdvisor.

We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience in our service during your stay with us. We always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Hilton Americas-Houston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I've stayed at the Hilton, Hyatt, Magnolia and Club Quarters in Houston. I would rank this as #3, with Hyatt being my top choice and Magnolia the 2nd. The hotel overall is good but I think service can be better. Our glasses were quite dirty and when I called the guest services, all I got was a "Oh", did expect an apology. In addition, we paid for our daily wireless and it was terrible. I was not able to get a good signal in my room for my iPAD, but in hallway it was a little better.

The view was very nice, we stayed facing the Discovery Green.

, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear JAKEL05,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton Americas-Houston experience on TripAdvisor. We always appreciate hearing from our guests – including areas where we may improve. We apologize that the comfort of your stay was interrupted and we have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of responding to guests’ needs. In coordination with AT&T, we are currently in the process of upgrading our wireless signal service and anticipate the completion during the first week of July.

The next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area we do hope that we will be your first choice as we know you will have the same great experience many of our other guests have indicated on their reviews.

Palacios, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at hotel for state Democratic convention and wanted to see the Houston skyline from the 24th floor open patio. A gracious bartender, Fred Yanas, assisted us in entering the patio area. Upon our return, he pointed out the Houston landmarks on a personal walk around the 24th floor glass enclosed bar.

, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton Americas-Houston experience and recognizing Fred for his assistance. We have shared your comments with him and his co-workers.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Havana, Cuba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

The Last two Hilton Hotels I had stayed were in Kuching, Sarawak overlooking the River and Hilton Salalah right on the beach looking East to India. So I was spoiled by the friendliness of the staff.
My stay here has begun auspiciously and I have yet to spend the night here, even though I am in the Executive Floor and writing this review watching the crimson red sun setting behind the skyscrapers. As I entered the lobby I ran into a fellow Endocrinologist from Australia, Cairns to be precise whom I have not seen in two years!
Valerie Yang the Front Desk Manager was more than helpful. Pleasant and solving the problem at hand.
Went to the 19th Floor Executive Lounge and the welcome by the Concierge there, Jackie, was more than expansive. That she shares the same name as my sister was a good omen too.
The room allotted to me is rather large with a huge window and all the amenities that you expect from Hilton.
I am looking forward to my stay until 26th! Once again thank you, Valerie and Jackie

Room Tip: I will add tips after each days stay.also will add photos
, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear aungkhant,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton Americas-Houston experience on TripAdvisor and for taking the time to recognize two of our very special team members, Valarie and Jackie.

We wish you pleasant travels and hope to host you back in Houston again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Above average hotel for business and conferences, friendly good service. Only down point is being charged $15 a day per device for wifi and Internet.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear Dillaninlima,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton Americas-Houston experience on TripAdvisor and recognizing the service our team provides our guests.

Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Wear your track shoes to get around this place, especially if you use the self parking. Nice service and rooms. In lobby they had folks offereing glases of lemonade or ice tea which was nice. Not sure if that;s usual or for the state Democratic convention that was starting while we were there. Location ws convenient to Minute Maid Park. We walked the 6 blocks to the Astros game, and caught a pedi cab back. Price would have been too high but we got a deal through a discount site which made it worth it.

Room Tip: west towr 6th floor looks out on a roof and air conditioners so don't recommend them,
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear businesstrav1,

North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This hotel is connected through air conditioned walkways to the George Brown convention center. If you are here for a convention there is not a better option.

If you are just in Houston and not worried about the convention center then you might elect to go elsewhere. Again - this is a convention hotel. So - if you aren't attending a convention - do you really want to stay in a hotel with thousands of people who are??? It's a big property. There are east elevators and west elevators. There are 2 big circular entrances with valet parking. Lots of lounge space etc.

I found the rooms to be nice - and quiet. The elevators were fast. The executive lounge was nice. The food was good.

The internet was pitiful. I was on the 14th floor - a high floor - but not the top floor. There are I think 6 or 7 floors above 14. I couldn't get a wireless signal better than low signal and frequently it just dropped altogether. It amazes me that Hilton charges for the internet - and then on top of that the service is so poor it wouldn't be worth the money if it was free.

The valet parking is the only easy option. There is a self park garage ($15 instead of $30) - good luck. The valet service is not fast. You will not have to worry about whether you forgot to pay for your valet service - because you will not see your car until you have paid. The guys themselves are fine - and very comfortable receiving tips.

The front desk is where I found service most lacking. at check-in it seemed that they hired high school kids who were busy playing around. Not a big deal - but not what I would expect. At check-out it was ridiculous. There were 4 clerks. One was working with a customer using a highlighter on a map (why the concierge or bell desk wasn't doing that is a mystery). One was standing there but "unable to help you." I gave him my room keys - he said he could take them but could not check me out - then stood back. He seemed angry. I'm guessing that he was in trouble for something and was waiting for a manager to let him access his computer again. It was interesting to see a grown man pout. The other two were on the phone making what sounded like personal calls. The thing is they didn't get off the phone. A line of about 6 people formed. This was at 11:45 am - checkout time is noon. How in the world does a hotel not have a manager on the floor to see this fiasco at what should be a very busy time. In the end - I saw the other folks wanting to check out just write their room numbers on a papaer and put them on the clerk's keypad (while she glared at the interrpution to her call).

It was bizarre. I assume that some confrontation had just occurred - someone fired or dressed down etc - and that the manager had just walked away. It looked like the entire desk staff were engaged in telling their friends and coworkers how terribel life was and what victims they were.

In any case the bottom line doesn't change - if you are going to the convention center stay here - there is no better choice. If you are not going to the convention center then there are lots of better options.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Dear sbccc,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton Americas-Houston experience on TripAdvisor.

We are sorry for the internet challenges and your departure experience.

The continued shift towards the use of new wireless devices has placed considerable stress on many hotels’ wireless networks. In coordination with AT&T, we are close to completing a wireless improvement project that will correct this challenge we have been experiencing and provide all of our guests better service for years to come. We expect completion in a few weeks.

We have shared your departure feedback with our team. In the future, we recommend that you use the convenient feature of checking out from your room through your guest room television or your phone. We are sorry that you were not aware of these features as most seasoned travelers find it common in AAA Four Diamond rated hotels.

Thank you again for your review and look forward to welcoming you back with the same great experience many of our guests have had.

Hilton Americas-Houston

Been to Hilton Americas - Houston? Share your experiences!