“Typical Courtyard” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“Typical Courtyard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Room was generally clean and staff friendly. Food leaves a tremendous amount to be desired - both my breakfast and room service dinner were barely edible. Good location but I'll avoid eating there if I find myself back in the future.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I recently stayed at this Marriott for leisure travel. I've stayed here a couple of times and I enjoy the location. It's very close to the Toyota center and Convention. The rooms are clean and it has a modern decor.

I left an item at the hotel and Pebbles (Management Team) worked really hard to address my complaint. The item I left was not that expensive, but she went out of her way to either find it or reimburse me. I also travel weekly for business and it's not very often that mgmt takes accountability for the service of their hotels. Thanks, Pebbles!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the courtyard Marriott for New Year's Eve. The rooms were nice and the bed was very comfortable. We also liked how close it was to our venue, The House of Blues. After checkout things turned for the worse. We ended up having to wait two hours for our car to be brought from valet. I understand that they were busy and there were several people waiting. The problem was that there was no organization and no one seemed to know what was going on. People who checked out 30 minutes after us got their cars before us. There were families with children that waited over 2 hours. Some of our friends had their kids with a babysitter that they were trying to get home to. We missed New Year's lunch with our family. Not exactly how we anticipated spending our New Year's day. I am very disgruntled with their service and am calling the corporate office tomorrow.

• Stayed January 2013
Rockville, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I spend a lot of time in Houston and have stayed mostly at the Residence Inn which shares the building with the Courtyard as they are both owned by the Marriott. Though they are both decent hotels, for the price, the Residence Inn is a better value.

The two hotels have the same parking and loading area and you can either hotel from the Courtyard Lobby (no self parking - though I would not recommend parking off site) - a lot of homeless hang out there, and though this is a great area during the day, it is a little different at night, pay the $24 per night valet, it is comparable to other hotels in the area.

Rooms at the Courtyard are quite small. Did not get much special treatment as a Platinum member, not even a free breakfast (which has been common since they converted to the Bistro). If you stay next door you get a buffet and social hour 3 days a week. If you look at pricing, normally the residence inn runs $10 more per night for a Studio versus a standard room at the Courtyard, which is my view is well worth it. If you are using points, they are both the same level.

Hotel is across the street from the Houston Commons - which offers several great restaurants (III Forks, McCormicks, Guadalajara). Walking distance to many of the large office centers and to the Toyota Center as well so great location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

This is an older building remodeled and mad into a nice Courtyard. I liked the location. I was working at the Convention Center so I was able to jump on the free green link bus and it would drop you off at two different spots right at the Convention Center. Also the Hotel had a free shuttle that would take you there. The light rail and many bus stops surround the building. So wherever you want to go it isn't hard to find transportation. The room was nicely decorated but lacked a couple of things I like. The bedside lamp did not have a socket but I was able to plug devices in a empty socket underneath the stand. The TV did not have a media center but the RCA jacks were accessible to hook my iPad up. The closet had hooks which are nice.

I went to the pool on night to see if I could swim. It wasn't heated and very cold. So I checked out he hot tub and it was to hot and over chlorinated. As I sat in there relaxing the largest cucharacha I have ever seen came crawling out of one of the cracks in the cement. I guess they grow everything large in Texas. I tried to divert him by splashing water but to no avail. I had to fend him off with my shoe to save my chili wings that I purchased downstairs at the bistro. Crisis averted. Watch out for "La gigante cucharacha" pool side.

• Stayed November 2012
Zionsville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel is just fine. An old building has been redone to accommodate a modern hotel. The rooms are fairly spacious with modern conveniences including a dorm-style refrigerator and free wi-fi. The lavatory is outside the room containing the tub/shower and commode. Therefore, noise and light can be problems for those sleeping while others are using the lavatory and hair dryer.

The public areas are spartan. The furniture is not particularly comfortable. There are limited breakfast and lunch selections, as well as room service. There is no bar. Platinum amenities of breakfast and afternoon snacks are not available.

My wife and daughter used the gym and found it to be more than adequate. They said the outdoor pool looked nice too.

Part of the problem with any hotel in downtown Houston is just that, downtown Houston. The place is dead. I can't believe that Houston is the fourth largest United States city. There are few shopping opportunities, few restaurants, few churches, and very few sights to see. Most of the town consists of office buildings. There is little motor or pedestrian traffic, even on Black Friday. An occasional vagrant asks for money. Taxis do not line up in front of hotels, even the Four Seasons. The bellman must phone for one.

So, if you find yourself staying in downtown Houston, the Courtyard will do. You will have most of the amenities that you expect. The place is clean, and the staff are friendly, although not terribly knowledgeable.

One might ask why we were in Houston. We went to the Bill O'Reilly Dennis Miller show at the Hobby Center. The lady at the desk had to check her resources before she could even point us in the direction of the Hobby Center.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Waltham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The hotel I wanted to book for my entire stay in Houston was full some nights, so I spent my first night at this Courtyard by Marriott. It was easy to check in when I arrived after 9pm. The room was basic, what I expected. The ceiling was very high - that was unique. I could see the mall across the street from my window. Free in room wifi was nice! There was a Starbucks just outside the entrance. The conference provided shuttle service that stopped at the hotel, so I didn't have to walk in the morning. Overall, no issues with this visit - it was easy and predictable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center? Share your experiences!