“Great Staff Terrible Manager” 3 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #173 of 468 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Great Staff Terrible Manager”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

I stayed there for a week in November, the staff was very nice and the hotel was in good repair. The people from the shuttle service they hire are wonderful and caring.

I ran into a small problem and needed to speak with manager. I had left my cell phone number three times. When I was finally able to get the staff to track him down his attitude was condescending and got worse from there. He was extremely confrontational.

It was in stark contrast to the rest of the staff. I left wondering how could they be so nice and he be so an abrasive confrontational.

My next trip back I stayed at Hotel Zaza, kind of a hipster hotel and loved it and it was within walking distance to the hospital. My stay was over 6 weeks this time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
SAN DIEGO, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I was there for the MD Anderson Cancer Center Conference at the end of May. There weren't many people who flew in to attend the conference, but living in San Diego, Ca, there was no other choice - didn't want to drive 18+ hours one way. Anyway, we were greeted with the utmost kindess, could check in right away, and had a great room. The most awesome thing about the room - the shower! Yes, that's right, I'd stay at this hotel again, because they had awesome water pressure!!! And, the staff was incredible!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Lago Vista, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

3am phone rings 3 times, stops, 3:15 rings again for "wake up call for my flight" (I booked with a LARGE group - none with flights) I tell him under no uncertain terms did I have a wake up call and this would be the ONLY night my entire week I would have the time to sleep more than 5 hours and he continued to tell me there was a continential breakfast - I made it quite clear not to call back and hung up; 3:30 I get ANOTHER "wake up call" at which point we insisted on talking to his manager and after 5 minutes on the phone finally did not get another call. If you do not ask for the complimentary breakfast you will be charged, seems they were very unclear and would have charged for the complimentary shampoo bottles if possible. I could have overlooked the not soft towels, hair in the sink, and even the oddity of my car being valet parked in a different spot in the evening than it was that same morning in the garage (we got a jacket out) as well as a different radio station being programed and long wait, when we went to get it out....but cannot overlook being awakened in the middle of the night.... Lacking in security and staff competence I would recommend pretty much anywhere else.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
warwick Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Have recently returned to Australia after attending the Quilt Convention. We stayed at the Downtown Courtyard and my stay was made memorable by Gloria Zabak, one of the Shuttle bus drivers. She is a proud Texan and took great delight in telling me all about the Houston buildings etc. She is a fount of knowledge and really would make a wonderful tour guide. Thanks Gloria for making Houston come alive as a great city.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

The Courtyard was a nice hotel in downtown Houston. Location was near the Convention Center so we were able to walk. Downtown Houston is deserted after 5 PM. If you are looking for action, this is not the place to stay. The rooms were comfortable. There is a small cafe in the lobby. Just hope that no one calls out at the cafe or you will end up waiting for an eternity.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

I had an event where we needed to book a conference room for the day. The day before, I shipped a Fed-Ex package of equipment that I was to pickup at the front desk upon arrival. Well, the rental car line was 20 deep at Hobby so I had to haul it in a cab. When I arrived, the hotel had already set everything up for me. The event went without a hitch and I had a bedroom and couch to lounge in for the rest of the day before my flight. (Beats waiting at the airport!) The guy at the front desk was very pleasant. He called me "sir" and helped me immensely when I realized that some of my items didn't get packed. (Packing tape, empty box, etc.)

After we paid the bill, we were notified that we had overpaid by $30.00+ and were being issued a refund check.

The location is great. I was able to do a 10 minute walk and eat at Beck's Prime in the underground city a few blocks away. The hotel itself was very clean. The only complaint I had was that their wireless was extremely slow. I also couldn't get a good 3G signal from the room. I'm not a fan of $10 parking, but it's downtown...so what are ya gonna do?

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here if I found myself back in Houston.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

The hotel is only about 5-6 blocks from the Convention Center and Minute Maid Park. It is an older hotel on the outside but they have updated the exterior. It is a little tight entering and exiting the valet area at the front door because the whole driveway consists of a loop. There are only two individual stations to check in and out at and no counter space for the customer to even set their purse down which made getting my driver’s license and credit card out challenging. The restaurant hours are only in the morning and evening and there is a limit menu and very pricy. However, you can order from the surrounding restaurants to be delivered. Our room was ok, a little outdated. It would have been nice to have something in the room, which most hotels do, describing restaurants or attractions in the area. There was no pen and paper to write on and not even the yellow pages in our room. You are downtown so some of the "fast food" type restaurants close early and the more upscale restaurants are open late. Every restaurant in downtown has good food. My absolute favorite is Sambuca's!!! We didn't have any problems during our stay and overall it wasn't a negative experience. I just think they should manage the room’s contents and updated information for guest better. One cool thing, they have a BIG touch screen in the lobby that you can check weather, find destinations in downtown plus some other goodies.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center? Share your experiences!