“VERY NICE HOTEL, MET WITH DISAPPOINTMENT.” 3 of 5 stars

Save $20 on select meals
Ranked #17 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southwest Louisiana
“VERY NICE HOTEL, MET WITH DISAPPOINTMENT.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for the Paul McCartney concert which was held at Minute Maid Park.

The location was excellent, very pleasing walk to the concert. The room was very clean and comfortable.

Valet and front desk were very pleasant, no complaints.

After leaving the hotel I realized that I forgot a shopping back with a brand new pair of pants (labels still attached) in the room. I called the front desk to let them know what happened. Unfortunately, in that short period of time my pants were already gone!

I called the supervisor of housekeeping to let him know that he obviously has a dishonest employee aboard -- I really do not think he got the message because he kept telling me how he checked with housekeeping and they didn't see the pants -- go figure!

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Very nice hotel if you are doing business in downtown Houston. It is well designed and comfortable, and the staff is exceptionally helpful. I will definitely stay here on my next trip to Houston. Even the room service was better than average.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

LOVED the size of the bathtub - perfect for a relaxing bath, great breakfast buffet - plenty of choices, both healthy and not-so-healthy (eggs, bacon!!!, sausage, oatmeal, cereal, fruit, yogurt, waffles), milk and cookies was a nice treat at night, and the staff was really nice, even though they had a surprise lobby remodeling starting the day we arrived. The beds were incredibly comfortable, and the rooftop pool and hot tub were nice, except we only got in the hot tub once, and it was scalding hot. I'm sure if we had notified the staff, they would have done something about it. It was a nice, relaxing downtown hotel in a great location - only about a block from the light rail, super easy to get around town. If I'd stayed longer, I'm sure I would have spent some time in their library on the second floor - yes, they have an actual library, with readable books. Supercool place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Murchison, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We enjoyed the Magnolia Hotel and it's art deco style. The room was nice, clean and comfortable. The bed was excellent-we got a great night's sleep. We appreciated the ammenities and the large bathroom. The breakfast was a full meal and tasty. We appreciated the selection of breads, fruits, juices and cerals as well. The wine reception was nice but crowded, Cookies were not homemade and rather stale.
Service was good but a bit slow, especially in the restaurant. I wouldn't plan on relying on the restaurant as a sole source of food, it was average.
I would stay at the Magnolia again for it's rooms and location, wonderful for ballgames, concerts, etc. Our rooms were quite expensive but there was a big name concert at the venue down the street precipitating exhorbinant prices for all hotel rooms. Otherwise, I understand they're reasonable.

Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Be aware that Houston City does not allow roller beds inside 2 bed rooms. We didn´t know that, but we were told at the reception that one bed would be sent to the room. Two hours later the bed hadn´t come yet (11pm be the time). After 2 calls to reception, we first learned about this Fire Marshall regulation. So, to solve the problem, they sent us an inflatable mattress. My point is, if we had been told about this regulation before, we might have paid for 2 rooms, or look for another alternative. The WiFi is simply terrible also. If you want high speed, you will be forced to pay an extra amount, which I consider a Stone Age practice. Charging extra for WiFi is like charging extra for tap water, simple as that.
Great breakfast in the second floor (included), and check out the rooftop pool and spa; really nice. Also, be aware that parking is valet only, and costs about $28 per day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I live north of Houston in The Woodlands and spend the weekend in downtown Houston occasionally to attend festivals, go to plays, attend concerts, or just hang out. For years we've stayed at the Lancaster and watched the quality and service of the hotel slide down a slippery slope. We decided last weekend to try the Magnolia and are wondering why we haven't done so before now. We liked everything about the hotel. The staff was friendly, breakfast excellent, the room was clean and comfortable, and the location cannot be beat.

Fresno, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Everyone is extra nice and helpful. Management is awesome! The beds are very comfy. Rooms are extra clean and the suites are more then suitable for entertaining. I live in Houston and I try to stay at the magnolia every chance I get. I feel like the prices are so reasonable for all of the hotels amenities. If you like to hang out and party the Magnolia is in the heart of downtown Houston where there are many options around in walking distance for food and fun. However, the hotel has great food and drinks located on the 2nd floor. I would recommend The Magnolia Hotel to anyone, I hope you enjoy The Magnolia as much as I do.

Room Tip: The beds are very comfy. Rooms are extra clean and the suites are more then suitable for entertainin...