“The staff makes all the difference” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center

You added Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1410 Nasa Rd 1, Houston, TX 77058   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE 15% TODAY!
Ranked #271 of 473 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“The staff makes all the difference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I am in this temporary home for a few weeks and I wanted to commend the staff. Specifically, Mary at the front desk. While doing laundry one evening I witness another resident yelling profanities at her, threatening behavior and inappropriate conduct I could not imagine. Mary, with a firm smile continued to offer support but remained kind.
I have asked for help often... where's this? how can I get one of these? is there one close to here?
And while all the staff has been satisfactory I have found that Mary exceeds the normal performance by engaging residents, offering help before it is asked, and not disappearing from the desk for extended periods. She needs a promotion and a raise...and should train the others.

The only area I see for improvement is keeping the trash rooms empty. And also expanding the breakfast. There is only fruit, muffin, instant oatmeal or a granola bar. All the items are the same everyday. Maybe yogurt or different fruits, bagels. Not a free breakfast compared to other hotels. But there is coffee which is good.

Shannon N

Room Tip: Free wifi, great staff, close to beach areas (though I have not yet been), Nasa fun place literally...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you very much for writing your review about your stay. I appreciate your kind comments about our staff and I am pleased that they were attentive and friendly. Still, I do apologize that our trash room was tended to correctly during your stay. I will be meeting with my staff to ensure that our trash is tended to in a timely manner. As well, I regret to hear that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be helpful to us as we continually work to improve our breakfast selection. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I stayed 1 night on July 26,2014 & I payed for 2double beds to be in my room. I complained to the front desk & they tell me they made a mistake on over booking. Worst stay ever!! Hair in shower & bed, nobody reimbursed me my money & I never heard from the manager name Olga and mr Ahmed told me I would be reimbursed. Stay away from here the bad reviews are true!!!

Stayed July 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Sam - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We strive to provide our guests with all the comforts of home, so we are disappointed to hear that we were not able to accommodate your room request and that your room wasn't cleaned properly. We will review our reservation procedures and cleaning processes to ensure your experience is not repeated.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us at jsc@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was an excellent choice. I usually use price line and don't care what hotel I get. I can assure you, I will be looking out for this one. And more importantly, Staff Mary was outstanding. She came up to my room, brought me dishes, asked if I ever needed anything, excellent customer service. I enjoyed my experience and Mary made me feel comfortable. She deserves a pat on the back. Great hotel. Thanks

• Stayed July 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received such excellent service from our staff. I will be sure to share your kind comments with my team. Thank you again for your review. We would love to welcome you back, should your travels bring you back to our area.
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My parents & I each booked a room for an overnight stay while traveling through Houston. We have family in the area, so chose this hotel for its location.

Check-in was easy, service was good & location was convenient. Like everything in Texas, the room was large. Upon initial check-in, our family (2 adults, 2 kids under 5) was given a room with a queen bed. I'm not sure why but changing rooms was no problem and done immediately.

Our second room was suitable, 2 double beds, but it was dirty. The things that bothered me most were the brown streak on the side of the mattress (looked a lot like poo) and the hairs all over the bathroom floor (looked a lot like pubic hair).

Other complaints were that everything was old and dated and showed heavy signs of wear. The bed was squeaky & uncomfortable. The hallways smelled of smoke, strongly. The people below us filed a noise complaint within an hour of us being there (the kids are noisy but it was 6 pm!). There was no amenities, no little shampoos or soaps, not even a styrofoam cup. And last, the continental breakfast was a joke. They had granola bars but it was so cheap there was only 1 per pack. There were also off-brand packaged muffins & packets of instant oatmeal.

We had used Hotwire to book & paid $60 (+$20 to upgrade to 2 doubles) and I still thought that was way too high for the quality.

• Stayed July 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. Please accept my apologies for the cleanliness and condition of your room. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I will be meeting with my housekeeping staff to review our company's high cleanliness standards to ensure that your experience is not repeated. As well, I do apologize that our amenities and grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be helpful to us as we continually work to improve our hotel and our breakfast selection. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me at jsc@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

If you like clean places stay away from this one. Mold in the shower, bugs in the lamp, and the front desk is not 24/7. The smoke alarm was broken so we went to the front desk at night and they gave us batteries to put in and it didn't work so we had to go into another room and take one. We had to do everything they didn't want to do anything

Stayed July 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience while you were staying with us and that your room was not cleaned to your standards. To make sure this doesn't happen again, we will have a meeting with our front desk staff and our housekeeping team to review your feedback. We are also sorry if you were not aware that we have staff available 24/7 to address any issues you may experience. We have staff at the front desk from 7:00am to 11:00pm and we have a night attendant on duty from 11:00pm to 7:00am.

Thank you again for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us at jsc@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We tried to check-in at 3pm and were told to come back because our rooms were not ready. We came back at 3pm and were given 2 rooms on the extreme opposite ends of the floor (even though I explicitly asked for rooms near each other in the reservation and multiple times during the check-in process). After seeing how far apart the rooms were, we went back to the front desk and asked if they could get us rooms any closer. They told us another room across the hall would be ready later, but they didn't know when. We accepted that and told them to call us when it was ready. We checked into our first room and waited. About 2 hours later we called and they told us the room was ready but they forgot to call us to let us know.

The first room we checked into had multiple issues with the condition of the room... 1) the room smelled overwhelmingly like a dirty wet dog; 2) I pulled 4 plates out of the cupboard and 3 of the 4 had a hair on the plate; 3) the room had 3 forks, 1 knife and no spoons and when we asked for spoons the front desk gave 2 and said that is all they had; 4) the ottoman in the room was stained; 5) the bathroom shower handle fixture was surrounded by heavy corrosion, the shower curtain had a fishing weight attached to it, and the ceiling and walls in the bathroom were heavily covered with mold; and lastly 6) there were several places on the walls in the room where it looked like someone had wiped bodily fluid on the walls.

The second room was in much better condition. It did not have any odor issues, the furniture was not stained and the walls in the room were free of fluid smears. However, there still issues... 1) there was a hair on the kitchen counter (which had just been cleaned); 2) there was a baby toy on the floor near the bed which indicated they had not been too careful in cleaning; 3) while the fixture and curtain in the shower were ok, the ceiling in the bathroom was covered in mold (albeit a bit less than the first room); and 4) the chairs at the table didn't match (one was a desk chair).

In terms of the "grab & go breakfast" we were told there would be granola bars, muffins and fruit. There was only granola bars, no muffins and no fruit. We attempted to get breakfast at 730am so we asked if we were too late for the other things and the front desk person told us they only had granola bars that day.

Another issue we had was with the price we were charged for the room and the related service. My printed reservation (which I showed at check-in) showed the room rate of $79.99, but my check-in receipt said $99.99 per room. The gentleman who checked me in said that he couldn't fix it at check-in, but that the process was the adjust it at check-out. When we checked out before 9am, I told the front desk person that the gentleman the day before said that she could correct my room rate at check-out. She said that it would have to be done by her manager who came in at noon. She took my cellphone number and said she would call me around noon to let me know the correction took place. Needless to say, I never received a call, text, voicemail or email. Four days later (today) I called the hotel and spoke with a manager. She confirmed that the corporate process was that the room rate was to be corrected at checkout. She had me forward her my email reservations and then she processed the credit for me. The manager was very customer service-focused and professional.

Overall, my impression of the staff working on Sunday (when we checked-in) was that they were inexperienced, immature and overwhelmed with their jobs. I was staying at the hotel with my wife and 5 kids, all of whom commented quite a bit about the unsanitary conditions they found in the room and the wet dog smell. We decided to spend our time in the cleaner room and then just get to sleep since we had been travelling all day and didn't have the energy to look for another hotel room.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We arrived near 10:30 on a Saturday night and left by 9am the next day. Stayed on the 2nd floor. The hotel is in a decent neighborhood and it was quiet in the hotel. The bed is hard as are the pillows. This hotel doesn't have a pool. If you need a quiet safe place to sleep this is a good place.

Room Tip: No Swimming pool and room service is not available which is fine and expected at this type of hotel...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
We want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We are glad that you had a clean, quiet stay; however, we apologize that your bedding did not meet your expectations. We will use you feedback to continue to improve our hotel.

Thank you again for your kind words. We would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Houston
Budgetel Inn Houston
#262 of 473 in Houston
4.0 of 5 stars 10 reviews
BEST WESTERN Webster Hotel, NASA

Been to Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center

Address: 1410 Nasa Rd 1, Houston, TX 77058
Location: United States > Texas > Texas Gulf Coast > Houston
Ranked #271 of 473 Hotels in Houston
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stayamerica Houston-Johnson Space Hotel Clear Lake City
Extended Stay Clear Lake City
Clear Lake City Extended Stay

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Houston - NASA - Johnson Space Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.