“Dirty, Grimy, and Overcharged” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Sam Houston Hotel

You added The Sam Houston Hotel to your Saves list
The Sam Houston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1117 Prairie Street, Houston, TX 77002 (Formerly Alden Houston) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #162 of 468 Hotels in Houston
“Dirty, Grimy, and Overcharged”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This place is horrible. Don't let the pictures fool you.
The staff is friendly and the location is great and you get Free wifi, but otherwise the accommodations felt gross; stained towels, stained sheets, grime all over the bathrooms and the elevators smelled absolutely putrid.

I didn't see the stains until the next morning of course. I mentioned it to management and although they were nice I don't think they spend much time doing quality control and it show in all aspects of this hotel.

Their complimentary breakfast was semi-brownish bananas and stale bagels all jammed onto one tray on one table with coffee. No napkins, No knives for cream cheese! Seriously!!!

They also like to 'mistakenly' charge you for extras. They charged me for two days of valet parking when I really used one day. They charged me for room incidentals when I absolutely did not open any of their cheap cookie bags or water bottles.

I had to spend at least an hour on the phone with managers to get a refund. They never refunded me any of the funds. I had to dispute it with my credit card company.

I don't recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ensenada, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our Room was very nice and the front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. However from the first day we could not get the maid to leave soap in our room and the coffee I requested was always wrong, the first day there our room still had not be cleaned even though I had requested the front desk to have it cleaned. The toilet backed up the second day and apparently this is a daily occurrence in this hotel. It just seemed like one problem after another, staff was responsive but I don't normally experience this many problems when staying in a Hotel. The overall Hotel was very nice and I will say the beds were excellent along with the Lobby area.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2015

I came in town for a concert, and ended up staying at the SH for the night. Valet and checking in was a breeze and only took a couple of minutes. The hotel itself was pretty nice, very clean, and quiet. Bathrooms/amenities in the room were very nice and the beds and pillows were great too. My rooom had a view of the baseball stadium, which I liked.

Free shuttle around town was awesome, and the driver was extremely friendly and basically took us on a small tour of downtown and midtown.

Since I was hungover from the night before, I asked the front desk for an extra hour to check out, and they easily accepted.

Free wifi was great since my lady had to turn in a budget proposal the next morning. Wasn't slow at all on the 10th floor.

The toilet in my room wouldn't flush, so I called downstairs and asked for them to send someone to look at it around 8pm (before I went to the concert). Came back around 3am, and it still wouldn't flush. I called again and they said that someone would be up there in the morning (there was a terd in it still). Around 9 the next morning, I decided to take the lid off of the tank and work on it myself. Finally got the nasty stuff to go down, but hadn't received a call or anything about maintenance, so I called again since it was now running and still wouldn't flush normally. The front girl put me on hold for about 5 minutes for some reason while she was talking to the maintenance guy. An hour later, nobody had come by to fix it, so I called again. Finally around 11, someone came in, looked at the toilet, and said "It's working fine. It flushed every time". It flushed one time, and then wouldn't anymore.

While I was waiting for the toilet problem to be fixed, I ordered breakfast from room service. Two omlets, one bowl of oatmeal, and two glasses of OJ turned out to be $55!

The last complaint I have is that the valet guy moved the seat in my truck. I am 6ft tall, and he looked to be about 5'10, so there was absolutely no reason for that.

As far as Houston goes, the amount of bums is ridiculous, and they are pretty aggressive. That's saying a lot since I come from a big city with a large homeless population. We just localize ours and they have better manners. The hotel and valet guys did a good job of keeping them away from the entrance and guests though.

Room Tip: I didn't ask for anything special, but got put on the 10th floor facing the stadium
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2015

Our night at this hip, newly renovated old hotel in the heart of Houston was superb! We traded a suburban hotel for this using Hotels Tonight app, but you can call them direct for the best rate. We wanted to explore Downtown Houston and park our car in valet there (small charge) for a walk to dinner and then rest in this corner suite. I read that the best views were on high floors and Kaitlyn was great at front desk upon arrival. The service at this hotel is terrific. The rooms are really clean. Great king bed, our room had 2 baths and photos here show how nice they are. The room had flat screen TVs in wall at both foot of bed and at sitting area w/ desk. Lots of views with 4 windows. The redo is sleek for a 1920s hotel. We researched on trip advisor for lots of dinner options nearby. Hit the jackpot with a Spanish & Latin cuisine spot (Batanga) with a live band for a late dinner. Easy to get there on foot in 7 min. Kaitlyn recommended several others but one of us had just returned from Madrid & wanted to try this place. The hotel is 2 blocks from Main St rail car. (They have a free shuttle for 3 mi radius) Pretty safe neighborhood in that direction. The hotel across San Jacinto street attracts a different sort so we avoided that direction.
This deluxe room and the entire experience at The Sam was wonderful. It was a hip boutique hotel for our final night in Houston.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2015

I spent 10 days at the hotel on business. Unfortunately, I started coming down with a horrible cold on Day 1. By Day 5, I looked and felted terrible. The staff was so kind. The shuttle took me to the local CVS to buy supplies. The front desk sent up hot bowls of chicken soup and tea free of charge with a lovely note wishing me well. I am well traveled and have stayed at 5 star hotels and have never been treated so well.

Regarding the condition of the hotel, some of the rooms need some maintenance. I had to change rooms because the toilet had issues. My second room had a broken blind. I would give the hotel condition a 3 or 4.

My 5 stars was based on the service at the front desk, great shuttle, and good breakfast.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2015

I had a family event at the Sam, and my whole family stayed there, and so did I. First off: the service was fantastic. Until it wasn't. More on that later. I was able to check in early (yay!), they provide a FREE downtown shuttle, which is good because there is no public transit and there isn't much in the neighborhood in walking distance on the weekend. The room had a DIVAN which was so much better than having to sit on the bed for everything. The room was actually comfortable and well appointed, although the shower leaked all over when I turned it on. Clearly, there had been a renovation and a lot was quite nice, but there was no way to turn on the shower without having it spill all over the bathroom floor. Ok, I could have turned it away from the door before turning it on, but the first time I used it, I had no way of knowing that it would leak. The staff was very friendly and helpful; they also responded to every complaint with a comp. We used the shuttle for an errand and then they couldn't pick us up timely, so they said they'd reimburse us for a cab (we walked). Then, we had a noise complaint and they comped the ENTIRE NIGHT. There was another complaint and they comped part of that room as well. My whole family was able to be roomed in the same wing on the same floor. VERY nice. Here's the part that made me really mad: I booked a cab to the airport the night before I was leaving, and when I came down a little early, they offered to have the cab come "right away." It didn't. Then, when the scheduled time arrived, the cab wasn't there. They did keep trying but a cab arrived and was 15 minutes late. Their answer: we don't control the company. True, but they need to have a relationship with the company, or a bunch of them, to ensure that guests get their rides on time. They were apologetic but ineffectual, and that's a huge disappointment. I mean, I only go to a hotel for two things: a place to stay when out of town and reliable service, and the Sam only provided one of those, ultimately. The service was GREAT up to a point, and they were generous to a fault, but getting a cab to arrive when it's needed is pretty important to me, and they failed utterly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook the Veranda; this is a party space and it's open. Unless...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2015 via mobile

Sam Houston hotel is fantastic, and the service is excellent. I'm here for a conference. I mentioned that I was running a 5k, and came back to my room afterwards to find they had made me a wonderful dinner plate with fruit and mineral water- just what I was craving at that moment! Thank you Kaitlin!

Also, the hotel has a free shuttle service which will take you anywhere you want to go within 3 mile radius. The hotel is downtown, so all the attractions are within a 3 mile radius anyhow. The shuttle service is ready as soon as you ask for them. They are quick and will get you to your destination quickly. Shuttle drivers were very professional. They gave me a list of restaurant options in the area.

Location of hotel is good- central, downtown location. Rooms are very nice. Free breakfast everyday. Free wifi. Water with cucumbers in the lobby-quite refreshing!

• Stayed February 2015

Been to The Sam Houston Hotel? Share your experiences!