“Good & Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Sam Houston Hotel

You added The Sam Houston Hotel to your Saves list
The Sam Houston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1117 Prairie Street, Houston, TX 77002 (Formerly Alden Houston) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #152 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Austin, Texas
“Good & Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel is an interesting paradox. It's located right in the middle of the Sam Houston University campus and I originally thought it was a converted dorm. It blends right in with the rest of the campus architecture. The front desk clerk corrected my assumption. Well, it may have been built for use as a hotel, but there's a definite dorm feel to it. Our room was comfortable for the most part. The walls are thin and it sounded like our neighbors were playing a basketball game next door, but when we complained to the front desk, it soon got quiet.
The bathroom was nice, complete with a glass bowl sink. The only downsides were a slow-draining, pretty sink and a bit of water damage in one corner of the bathroom ceiling.
The room was also cold even after we adjusted the temperature, however like it that way. My husband, not so much. He could have been more comfortable. The bed and pillows were wonderful, very comfortable.
The Sam provides a complimentary breakfast buffet that I would call "borderline". My son and husband went down at 7:00 to find the breakfast that was supposed to start at 6:00 hadn't been set up yet. The waffle bar was being set up as they finished their breakfast and were leaving. My daughter and I went down around 8:00. I discovered styrofoam plates, an empty silverware basket and overflowing trash cans. My daughter wanted cereal and filled her bowl from a container marked "Frosted Flakes" that turned out to actually be Raisin Bran. When she attempted to eat it, she said it tasted "weird". We dumped it and got her some eggs. The buffet as a whole was lacking - crusted scrambled eggs, very crisp bacon, canned biscuits, a couple different bread types, gravy, and the mis-marked cereal … oh, and the waffle bar with no syrup. The beverages offered we're orange and apple juice, milk that my daughter said tasted like tea, and coffee. No fresh fruit, no butter for the bread, and a broken orange juice carafe. Granted, I'm a bit of a foodie and some have even called me a snob, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I would eat that breakfast again if I really had no other choice or simply didn't want to spend the money for a real meal. I guess I really shouldn't expect much for free though. Like they say, you get what you pay for.
Huntsville is a small town and there aren't a lot of offerings in the way of hotels. All-in-all, The Sam is probably the best in town and next time I come, I would stay here again … and just pay for breakfast somewhere.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nice, historic feel with contemporary decor. My second stay with the first one being shortly after the name and ownership change. Sadly, the same problems persist: slow check-in, less than cordial staff, bulb out in bathroom, safe locked and despite request to fix still unusable, no shampoo/soap for shower, dirty windows, partially inoperable toilet. Recent paint work is nice inside but still doesn't have any decor on some room walls. Positives: Weekend shuttle service around downtown is superior (thanks largely to Mohammad), $5 overnight weekend parking on San Jacinto (across street from side entrance), and although I keep dollar bills rolled in my pocket to give to those who ask for money, I did not have a single transient person approach me this stay. If they could step up the overall staff courtesy, the maintenance, and the attention to detail from housekeeping, they would be among my top favorites. For now, the Icon, Magnolia, and Four Seasons lead the way.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
George Town, Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I had the Deluxe Suite for a romantic break after some business in Houston. We had the corner suite and it comes with 2 full bathrooms, a little living room and office desk area. It was very nice and the staff was super friendly and helpful.

Downtown Houston is a bit of a let down though. Most restaurants or deli's close around 15:00 as they cater to office workers. But if you have a court appearance or reason to be downtown then The Sam is a great choice.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

Booked a night here based on rave reviews. Did not disappoint. Hotel is historic, located in downtown area, but inside is all modern, but not too comtemporary. The rooms have been updated with king size beds, modernized for today's technology, updated furniture and TV. Bathroom is spacious, again, modern, with a fabulous shower. The towels are very thick which is one deciding factor which shows me the quality of the services provided. The bathroom sink was not draining properly, and it was immediately fixed after we complained about it. Though we did not opt for the delicious breakfast served at the adjoining cafe, $15/person, we were very pleased with the complimentary beverage service and muffins and fresh fruit which is all one needs sometimes. The adjoining bar, Sam Bar, is well stocked with all the latest adult beverages. The bartender is very friendly and knowledgeble and courteous. Though the bar was closing and last call had been issued, he continued to serve weary travelers just checking in and inviting them to sit and enjoy their drinks. We were very impressed with his service. Parking is valet only, but again, courteous and prompt. You can request your car via text or call, with a 15 minute window. All in all, we are glad we took a chance from a non-chain hotel and will definitely stay here again at our next visit.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014 via mobile

Old water bottles under bed. Hotel staff was not accommodating. Horrible area. I wouldn't step foot out of the hotel by myself. Pan handlers hassle you for money at the hotel front door. I could go on and on. Horrible place. Will never stay again and will let everyone know to never stay at The Sam Houston. Overly priced for old hotel in the ghetto. Definitely not a "boutique hotel" as advertised.
-Hanley

• Stayed November 2014
Hudiksvall, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

Is downtown Houston your detsination, this hotel would be a good option for you. Hotel have an excellent shuttle that can bring you anywhere in downtown at any time as well. Breakfast is served in a pleasen surrounding and can be enjoyed with a calm atmosphere.

Room Tip: Go for as high as possible and you´ll be sure no noises travel to your room,