“Not much going for them” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Sam Houston Hotel

You added The Sam Houston Hotel to your Saves list
The Sam Houston Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1117 Prairie Street, Houston, TX 77002 (Formerly Alden Houston) (Downtown)   |
Ranked #162 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Denver, Colorado
“Not much going for them”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

This was my first time staying at the Sam while in Houston for work. First impression was a bad one as the lobby smells like backed up sewage. I thought perhaps something was going on to cause it and asked the gentleman at the front desk who told me he didn't smell anything, but that other guests had complained too. It was not a mild smell, it was pungent. Thankfully the smell had not migrated to the rooms. But when I got to my room I realized they had put me in a handicap accessible unit. Normally this isn't an issue, but the Sam's design is a bathroom where you have to sit down to shower (no tub and the shower head could not be adjusted upwards) and window coverings consisting of only a thin pull-down mesh shade. I called the front desk and requested a new room which was much better. But things never really improved. Among other things: One night someone began vacuuming in the hallway at 10:45pm. I ordered breakfast one morning and only received half my order, housecleaning didn't restock coffee 2 of the 3 days and when they did they left me only decaf and I had to go down to get coffee each day. By the 3rd day the sewage smell had made its way into my room via running the AC unit. So I left the AC off. I don't recommend this in Houston. Staff was friendly and I think they were trying to do a good job, but it's clear the leadership here is lacking and they don't have standards in place. I'll never be back and our company terminated our arrangement with this hotel.

Room Tip: The best rooms here will be around the block at the Magnolia Hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thanks for staying with us recently, and I'm terribly sorry we did not meet your expectations. We have been improving the hotel in many ways, and your feedback helps us to further direct these efforts. We are excited to almost be complete with our plumbing system work, as well as additions to staff and service training. I hope to regain your trust in the future. Please let me know when your plans return you to Houston.

Kindest regards,
Nick Massad III
nick.massad@thesamhoustonhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Two years ago I booked this hotel for a graduation party..it was very nice..room and all. Now I happened upon this hotel again via Expedia.com. Well unfortunately things have changed for the worse. No one offered to get my bag when I arrived. The breakfast was lacking in taste. My companion stated the fruit wasn't fresh. The valet parking fee is greatly increased from two years ago. If you want a quite environment before 11pm you might not want to stay here..this hotel has beautiful decor and beautiful rooms for wedding receptions so you will often deal with the noise associated with the receptions. On a positive note: the decor is beautiful, bathrooms and rooms beautifully decorated.

• Stayed March 2014
kmod75
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Formerly the Alden Hotel, My wife and I had a dinner date downtown and did not want to drive back to suburbia after drinking. The Sam Houston had good rates so decided to give it a shot. The staff was very friendly and the room was very nice. It’s a boutique hotel, so the rooms are a little small, but if you know that going into it, no big deal. On a separate occasion, we’ve eaten at the restaurant, 17, which is inside the hotel. It’s very good. The hotel has a full bar and gift shop inside in case you forget anything – they also have an onsite ATM in case you need cash. Downtown location is very convenient, just a few blocks off the lightrale, too. All in all, a great little hotel and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Nice small individual hotel in Downtown only two blocks from Main Street and the tram system. Rooms clean and comfortable, breakfast nice. The bar is quiet and usually closing down around 10pm which is a shame. Lots of bars and restaurants in walking distance. Valet car parking is convenient but overpriced at $28 per night.
Would use again.

Room Tip: I had 1005 on the top floor whoch has a large shower cubicle but no bath.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

This place is truly a mixed bag. The good: Old building renovated to contemporary standards with modern conveniences. Feels European. Smaller hotel which many folks prefer. Great beds, good room decor, individual temp controls, nice bathroom, great bed and linens, other amenities.
Bad news: Sketchy neighborhood, but much of Houston is sketchy. The staff is out to lunch much the time. I asked 4 times for a deposit receipt...could not get. My colleague walked in room, no towels. Other colleague: Room all spiffed up but pile of dirty towels in room. Keurig coffee maker but no coffee pods. Other issue is rooms and halls have deferred maintenance like broken glass on picture in room, or light fixtures in common areas need replacing. One thing I did not like was mandatory valet park at $28 per night. There is no other alternative. My new car was delivered to me with a 3' scrape on driver door. No way to prove it but..................
So, if you want comfy small Europe style hotel and don't have a car : recommendable. Just be ready for a few quirky things. (There is a courtesy car that can drive you anyplace in the area for
free. )

Room Tip: Get a room not facing back or parking lot. This is urban hoteldom so just be ready for urban sounds...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My colleagues and I stayed several nights during the ACE Conference, and we were so happy with The Sam Houston. When we called to confirm our reservations, Julia the Manager on duty, answered the phone and didn't just answer our questions, but she found out more about where we were coming in from and if we had any special requests or would be needing activities to do during any down-time. We arrived and were checked in by Yasmin, who was all smiles and information, and we were given keys to comfortable king rooms with beautiful view of the skyline and handwritten notes from Julia. The staff was so accommodating the entire time. The hotel car service was an additional benefit after conference shuttle hours. We saw reviews of the smell, but we didn't smell anything but cleanliness during our stay, and we even gave the hotel an extra sniff everyday. As the responses to negative reviews have stated, it seems that they have been working on this and seem to have fixed the issue. The only part that needs a little work is daily housekeeping service. One day, I had to call down for a towel. Another they didn't restock my soap and shampoo. Otherwise, this was one of our favorite conferences because of The Sam Houston, and we were even a little sad saying goodbye to Julia and the staff.

Room Tip: The smell is gone! Ask for a city view room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Hosted our wedding here. Nice on the surface, but poorly managed on a weekend where they knew they were fully booked. Not enough towels, cleaning staff, or desk staff to properly manage guests' needs.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nick M, General Manager at The Sam Houston Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Rachel,

Thank you for the review, and thank you for the wonderful compliments you extended to Natalie and the rest of the staff. We were so thrilled to make your wedding wonderful! I apologize that we did not meet all of your expectations. We have evaluated our service (based partly on your feedback) and are confident we have corrected staffing levels and procedures to prevent similar issues in the future.

We would love to regain your full trust by inviting you back for a complimentary weekend stay of your choice (perhaps a special occasion!). Just let Natalie or me know and we'll personally attend to the details.

Thank you again and congrats!!
Nick

Nick Massad III
nick.massad@thesamhoustonhotel.com

Been to The Sam Houston Hotel? Share your experiences!