“TERRIBLE place to stay 8-16 & 17 2013” 1 of 5 stars

Sun Suites of Houston-Hobby Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12485 Gulf Freeway, Houston, TX 77034   |
Ranked #293 of 447 hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“TERRIBLE place to stay 8-16 & 17 2013”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

bugs mold smell and did not have clean sense of feel
rusty tub and when i left before 10 am they forged time i left to keep
my money the lady that helped me Grace was no longer there
(( imagine that )) manager was standing there.. forged my time of leaving
eventhough i have proof i was at hospital .... shady place and people
this is the second coment i place.. first was not posted! wonder why???

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

First time staying at a extended stay and it was a different kind of stay. The customer service was GREAT and the rooms are getting remodeled. They really know how to make you feel at home, the GM is running around giving great customer service and helping out with the remodel. The rooms are wonderful. Thanks Cranita and staff for a great stay I will be coming back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
spring Tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed here on 4/19/13 for one night. I will never stay there again. I hope this review helps someone in the future. I looked at 3 rooms before I had no where else to go at this time of the day. The first room had furniture that we falling apart , the fridg did not work, the tv only got 4 good stations out of like 12 or more. The faucet on the kitchen sink was just about to come off when I turned on the water. The tile floor and carpet were durty. They didn't even change out the old roll of toilet paper from the last people that stayed there.
The breaker panel cover in the room would not stay closed (fire hazard big time) .

So I went to another room that was just about the same but had one more thing that really took the cake as far as being gross and that was the room smelled of somke when I asked for NON SMOKING!!! The people next door were , well we will leave that out due to they live there.

We #3 room is the one that I stayed in. The fridg and micro were new so this was good. The tv was good also. The floors and capet left the bottom of my socks black. The bed was nothing but springs on my back. The botton of the front door had a gap on it big enough for a kid to put his hand under. And now for the big thing wrong in this room. ROACHES in the bathroom.

The elevator was disgusting and filthy. The walk way ceilings outside the rooms had eletrical junction boxes with wires hanging out and this was right outside of the main office.
I was told by a women that lives there as a tenant that this was a quite place to stay at. Well guess what it's not cause when I got back to the room after where I had been for a few hours there were 6 Houston cop cars and about 7 cops at a room up stairs .

I plan on calling the Houston health dept about this place. SO PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

The good:
(1) free wi-fi with decent strength
(2) expanded cable with 3 HBOs
(3) room includes alarm clock, full size fridge, two range cooktop, microwave, two sets of dishes and silverware (no cookware though), a coffeepot, hairdryer, iron and ironing board.
(4) The A/C worked well
(5) decent tap water
(6) onsite coin-op laundry
(7) elevator
(8) Elle (night security girl) and Pedro (maintenance)

The BAD, UGLY AND WORST:
(1) Difficult check in even when paying cash: you cannot check in after 8pm at ALL if you dont have a prepaid reservation!
(2) The bedroom furnishings are all OLD!! Broken, torn, chipped and several noticeable layers of paint. Even the television is a 15 yr old big box style.
(3) Absolutely no local network channels (i.e. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX or even PBS)
(4) Overflowing trash piles by the stairs (extended staying guests have to bag up and carry their own trash out and ask at front desk for any coffee, fresh linens or towels!)
(5) Incredibly loud! Road traffic from interstate and highway as well as walls and ceiling/floors being thin. Even though the hotel had barely half capacity, it seems they bunch the guests together.
(6) The ROACHES and other misc crawlies!! They did come spray my room the first time but this didnt help. When I asked to be moved a day and a half later, I was told they "would have to get back to me." Of course, NOTHING happened! I was even asked if I was sure I wasnt leaving food out...as if to suggest Im just inviting them over to hang out or something!!!
(7) ATROCIOUS customer service!!! The Asst Gen Mngr and the Gen Mngr both work at the desk so......no help there! The first rule of any cust. serv. job is NEVER start by telling a customer what you CANT do! When have you ever went or called in anywhere and heard "Hi! How may I NOT help you today?!"

Needless to say, even after a five to six day stay, I wasnt offered anything except excuses at Sun Suites and made reservations somewhere else for the next two weeks of our stay!

• Stayed April 2013
Aurora, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We reserved this hotel through Southwest to stay one night after flying into Hobby-Houston on February 15, 2013. We arrived ther about 9:00 p.m. to find our room to be filthy and reeked of smoke. The carpets were dirty and torn and the bed was scary. The clientele there was frightening. We looked at two other rooms, which were not great either. So, we moved on. The hotel said we would have to be reimbursed by Southwest. However, Southwest is saying the hotel told them we stayed that night plus two additional nights. Not true! Be aware and stay away from this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Title of my review says it all. We've traveled quite a bit and have stayed in some great and not-so-great places, but I have to say that this was the first time we stayed in a place where 4-5 roaches came out, crawling up the walls and ceiling, within the first 10 minutes. Even though we checked in at 1 AM, and could not be guaranteed a refund as the manager would not be in until the next day, we left and found another place to stay at. Luckily, we were able to get a refund the next day with the assistance of our third party booking site.

Room Tip: If you plan on checking in after 1 AM, don't bother as there may not be anyone to assist you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Kerri and the rest of the team showed excellant customer service to me. I travel all the way from Florida to Houston not knowing my way around town. Kerri, made sure I was safe in the area by giving great direction to the shopping centers,cabs, and restaurants. Many thanks to Kerri and other team members, my stay was extremly comfortable and peaceful at sun suite.

Room Tip: Third floors are more priviate then lower floors
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
SunSuitesHobby, Front Office Manager at Sun Suites of Houston-Hobby Airport, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor.com and choosing Sun Suites Hobby as your home away from home. I am very happy that during your stay I was able to assist you with shopping centers,cabs, and restaurants. Customer service is the key for our company and I strive to give all guest this service. Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to you staying with us again.

Been to Sun Suites of Houston-Hobby Airport? Share your experiences!