“Yummy Food, Good Atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Artisans is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 6,990 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Stuart
Friendswood, Texas
“Yummy Food, Good Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I made reservations here for a date night. We got there on time and our table was not available, we had to wait 40 minutes at the bar which was not bad at all. We had a booth next to the window which I recommend there are only a few of them so ask for one, otherwise they try and sit you next to the bar and it is busy there. They have a nice wrap around eating bar as well that is very nice and you can sit and watch the kitchen cook, very open design.
We ate the lamb and sea bass let's just say they were excellent our plates were empty when taken away. The only negative is they close at 11 on Saturdays, so we ended up at another restaurant next door for the rest of the night.

• Visited March 2013

Hartford, Connecticut
“Good, but not as nice as I expected.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Went there for date night.
We were given a table in a quiet corner, just as we had asked in our reservation.
We took the 5 course meal, my husband also took the wine pairing.
This is 50$ extra, so 10$/glass. Usually, in a restaurant, when you get wine by the glass, the glass is half full. Not here. Good wines, but us being french and being wine amateurs with an impressive collection, we were not that impressed. Also, the waiter brought the wrong wine with the scallops, he brought the one for the seabass. So you have to know what you are supposed to get.
The portions are small, but since you get a few courses, you won't be hungry nor will you feel weighted down, which is what we like.
I asked if I could change the dessert, answer was no.
The 4 courses were very good, although the peppered steak was not subtle at all ( way too much pepper for my taste). However, the final course, the dessert, really killed it for me. That grand marnier souffle is just disgusting and not refined at all. It tastes like ice cream I used to buy in France, just presented in a white chocolate bowl. Awww.... Not something I would want to get in a restaurant. It's the only course we didn't finish, and not because we were full. We enjoyed Valrhona and Wittamer chocolates when we got home.
Overall, we liked it, but i will never take the 5 course menu again ( a la carte can actually be cheaper for appetizer, entree, dessert ) and the pairing isn't worth it if you are used to nicer wines.
The bourgogne selection is quite small.

• Visited February 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
“classics done to perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

great ambience with le cruset french ovens scattered around as ?party favors?...escargot, fois gras, and very reasonable wines. Wow, the carrot soup was spicy but not too much. Have been four times in last two months, very much fun. And the open kitchen is fun to watch...

• Visited January 2013
Houston
“Hot spot-great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have eaten at Artisans twice now and have thoroughly enjoyed our meals both times. The French style menu changes some but they maintain their staples: pan seared foie gras on a perfectly buttered slice of a baguette drizzled with a fig balsalmic reduction sauce, seared lamb loin on top of blanched green beans served with a small pot of creamy mashed potatoes! Perfection!
The wine list is well priced and the cocktails are your usual with a few originals offerred: I had the blueberry ginger bellini.
I'm sure the desserts are delicious but alas we are always too full to have any!
I do appreciate that the chef comes to every table and really takes his time to ask if everything is allright and if they have any suggestions.
This is definitely a hot spot-a place to be seen judging by some of the other patrons but then again we were there on a Saturday night. The place isn't too noisy, which our table appreciated. The chairs are comfortable and you aren't crowded. We will go back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“Fabulous French in Cozy Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was recently at Artisan's on a date. We had seats at the Chef's table, which is really an open kitchen bar area. The view was fabulous as we were able to watch the kitchen prepare the food. And the food was superb. I had the lamb and my date had the pork belly. Both were cooked to perfection and the presentation was amazing. We began with starter's - scallops and foie gras, which was melt in your mouth. And I don't even like foie gras. The restaurant is upscale and the price reflects this, but the restaurant will impress.

• Visited December 2012