“classics done to perfection” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Artisans is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 7,232 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Stuart
Houston, Texas, United States
“classics done to perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

great ambience with le cruset french ovens scattered around as ?party favors?...escargot, fois gras, and very reasonable wines. Wow, the carrot soup was spicy but not too much. Have been four times in last two months, very much fun. And the open kitchen is fun to watch...

• Visited January 2013

Houston
“Hot spot-great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have eaten at Artisans twice now and have thoroughly enjoyed our meals both times. The French style menu changes some but they maintain their staples: pan seared foie gras on a perfectly buttered slice of a baguette drizzled with a fig balsalmic reduction sauce, seared lamb loin on top of blanched green beans served with a small pot of creamy mashed potatoes! Perfection!
The wine list is well priced and the cocktails are your usual with a few originals offerred: I had the blueberry ginger bellini.
I'm sure the desserts are delicious but alas we are always too full to have any!
I do appreciate that the chef comes to every table and really takes his time to ask if everything is allright and if they have any suggestions.
This is definitely a hot spot-a place to be seen judging by some of the other patrons but then again we were there on a Saturday night. The place isn't too noisy, which our table appreciated. The chairs are comfortable and you aren't crowded. We will go back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“Fabulous French in Cozy Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was recently at Artisan's on a date. We had seats at the Chef's table, which is really an open kitchen bar area. The view was fabulous as we were able to watch the kitchen prepare the food. And the food was superb. I had the lamb and my date had the pork belly. Both were cooked to perfection and the presentation was amazing. We began with starter's - scallops and foie gras, which was melt in your mouth. And I don't even like foie gras. The restaurant is upscale and the price reflects this, but the restaurant will impress.

Magnolia, Texas
“MMMMMmmmmGood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Two couples traveled downtown to try this restaurant. We had heard the "businessman's luncheon" was a good value. We have to agree. While not the only thing on the menu, daily chef's choices are served in a speedy manner and are package deals including dessert.

Three in our group went with this moderately priced luncheon package and were very satisfied with the meals. I, however, wanted to try some other things on the menu (i.e. my very favoriate, escargot) and everything I ordered was delicious and served with no delays.

Atmosphere here is "classy" with shiny hard surfaces and a bar to watch the cooking,if you prefer. Tall tables allow diners near the cooking area also allow you to watch the chefs at work. We did not sit in this area because we were too busy with conversation to enjoy the cooking scene.

I cannot image that there are too many diners who would not thoroughly enjoy the
ambience, service and quality of food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Quite a surprise~”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I was in downtown Houston past Friday. I was actually attending a HFT union Christmas party at Column A. Unfortunately, they ran out of food for even before we could get to the line (which was long and winding). My husband and I were all dressed up ready to have fun, so we decided to have a nice evening in town nevertheless. We used YELP on our smartphone, and the Artisans came up. We reached there at about 9:45P, and we were seated immediately. We had foie gras for appetizers. I had the L'Agneau and my husband had Le Poisson du Pacifique. We had Bandol Domaine de la Garenne 2009 and Bordeaux Clarendelle, 2005 for our wines. All in all, it turned out to be a great evening. Our waiter Humberto was very knowledgeable and very nice! We'll be back again for sure!