“Quite a surprise~” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Artisans is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 7,200 restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Stuart
“Quite a surprise~”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I was in downtown Houston past Friday. I was actually attending a HFT union Christmas party at Column A. Unfortunately, they ran out of food for even before we could get to the line (which was long and winding). My husband and I were all dressed up ready to have fun, so we decided to have a nice evening in town nevertheless. We used YELP on our smartphone, and the Artisans came up. We reached there at about 9:45P, and we were seated immediately. We had foie gras for appetizers. I had the L'Agneau and my husband had Le Poisson du Pacifique. We had Bandol Domaine de la Garenne 2009 and Bordeaux Clarendelle, 2005 for our wines. All in all, it turned out to be a great evening. Our waiter Humberto was very knowledgeable and very nice! We'll be back again for sure!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

91% Recommend
“Great French Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

In Houston! The fish dishes are amazing, especially the pistachio crusted Grouper. Wine list is excellent and reasonably priced. Sit at the Chef's table, which is really a bar, and watch the kitchen. Very entertaining.

Visited December 2012
“Excellent lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Four of us had the business lunch which is well priced. The price includes three courses. The choice is minimal but excellent value as the food was excellent. I just loved it. I chose soup and the fish entree. There was no choice on the dessert but it was delicious. Beautiful presentation for all dishes. The bread served with the first two courses was WONDERFUL! Service was very good. The restaurant had a nice comfortable and classy feel to it. If you so choose, you can sit at a counter and watch the food being prepared. I would definitely return. If there was one negative, it was my espresso coffee which was not as piping hot as I like it. It was certainly not enough of an issue to send it back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“What is all the Hoopla?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

A BIG and loyal fan of Le Mistral, here I come to artisans, twice back to back.  Nice place.   Nice decor, fairly comfortable tables, nice chef bar.  Excellent phone answering etiquette.  But: the waiter could not pronounce fois gras, nor could he give any suggestions/opinion on the wine selection.  The other waiter kept forgetting that we had sparkling water and pouring regular water in our mineral water glasses.  The escargots were swimming in butter and the size of marbles. The soup du jour was le soupe of two jours - served both days - the  agneau was overdone and too rich in rosemary.  But...la creme de la creme was the businessman lunch.  The following day two of us, each ordered the businessman lunch and the dessert was a tart.  Yes, ONE 2" or so diameter tart split into two halves!!!... Next time I will go again by myself just to order the businessman lunch and see if they give me half a tart, and then look around for who gets the other half.  After that au revoir mon ami, no more Artisans pour moi.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Always a great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have been to Artisans more than once and have always had a great meal. The service is excellent. My favorites are the filet and the sea bass. All meals served with hot baked bread. It's fun to sit at the chefs counter to watch the kitchen prepare dinner. The prices are a little high. Try the business lunch for $25.00. You get a salad, choice of main course, and a desert. It's a good bargain.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere