“Must try: elderberry dessert!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Houston, Texas
“Must try: elderberry dessert!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Came here at 6pm on a weekday and definitely still waited 40 minutes, however, this was many months ago when it was still freshly opened. The food is good enough to feel authentic, but innovative enough to be very concept restaurant esque, like the shiitake in the traditional staple miso soup. Everything you can get on the menu is delicious; we had ordered a bunch of different rolls and were not disappointed. I recommend seating at the bar for a fun experience chatting with the chef and seeing the preparation, and table dining is also fine but may take awhile. The waitress was knowledgeable and very friendly and attentive especially given how crowded it was. The place, like most restaurants in the area compared to the rest of Houston is small, which makes for a packed, crowded ambience that is fun but may be just a tad too loud. Definitely a place to take someone very special/that you'd like to impress, dress code is casual to business casual. I would go back here in a heartbeat.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Olathe, Kansas
“Treat Yourself”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This place is so good and the food so deliciously inventive, I'm not sure I'm qualified to write a review, though I will give it my best shot.
On a visit to Houston my host made reservations at Uchi. Having dined at the restaurant before, my dining companions said the best way to order would be to let the server decide what to bring. What an experience (sorry, exclamation mark required)!
The food orgy began. I think we had just a little of everything, both hot and cold. We started with Brussels sprouts - outside of dessert, this was the one request we made of the server. For me, these were unexpected at a sushi restaurant, but a completely delicious way to start the meal. From there it was a whirlwind of food, probably 11 or 12 dishes, a couple of cold items and then a hot item, then back to cold. I believe our hot items were duck, pork belly, tuna and wagyu beef - all cooked perfectly. The one item I didn't "get" was the salad, which came near the end of our meal - I didn't love the dressing or the timing. The salad was but a blip on an otherwise perfect meal.
Next was dessert. The three of us couldn't decide on dessert, so we decided to order one-each and share. They were all delicious and inventive - fried milk, lemon sorbet and the dessert of the night, which I believe was chocolate (something mousse-like) with orange. The fried milk was my choice and it did not disappoint. Little crunchy pillows that, when pierced, had a sweet, creamy center. So, so unbelievably good.
Our server was spot-on with her timing and her suggestions. The rest of the staff was on pointe. The décor was warm and inviting (though we did sit under an ac vent, and whenever it fired up it was a bit cold for late November).
Will I go back? Already looking at booking a flight so we can bring my husband along next time. Can't wait!

• Visited November 2012
Houston
“Worth the wait, all the hype about this place sounds right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

First time in Uchi, we waited for an hour (didnt make reservation) but our experience was just great. Started with the edimame and some free samples of their fried cauliflower.. All good!

We tried the 6 course meal, pricy but really delicious. The way the food was presented, how they mixed and matched the ingredients was just brilliant. Its like im a judge in iron chef and being blown away with each time food are brought to us. The service was great and interior of the place is classy.

If you are a foodie, this gotta make it in your list.

“Must go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The food is delicious!! Make a reservation it's full most of the time, but is worth it, we order a lot of things and everything was great

Houston, Texas
“best sushi restaurant in Houston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I kept hearing how great this restaurant was but I hadn't tried it until last week. It was incredible. Tip: First time visitors should try the basic tasting. It gives you a good feel for some of their most popular items. You won't believe the incredible taste of the foods they blend together. You won't even want to use the soy sauce at your table. You need to get a reservation a couple weeks in advance even on week nights though.

• Visited November 2012