“A different side of Houston” 4 of 5 stars

713 538 7433
Website
Improve this listing
5 attraction reviews
“A different side of Houston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2015

We wanted to do something different. We did not expect to discover this unexplored side of Houston. It was very well organized. The tour picked us up downtown where we left the car. Took us to 610 and Woodway, where we loaded the tandem kayaks. The gentleman giving the lessons was quite annoying and with a sense of. let's say humor, that did not land very well with the group. His explanation was way too long and repetitive. Besides that, the other 2 guides, one in the middle of the group (about 8 kayaks) and one with the last kayak were pretty sweet and helpful (thank you Katelyn and cesia!).
The tour itself was awesome! We were the last kayak. We stayed behind and leisurely paddle (not our first time) in a beautiful sunny day through an unexplored side of Houston! Many times during the almost 3.5 hour tour we forgot we were in Houston. The bayou travel around very green and luscious areas, drooling after gorgeous houses on the bayou, and finding ourselves in the middle of the city (Allen Parkway) paddling along. It was exactly what we needed. It was just fun to exercise, be outdoors, in the water (in Houston!) and with a gorgeous day! Definitely recommended!

Visited April 2015

Irvine, California
13 attraction reviews
“Kayak Tour a Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We visited friend in Houston recently and went on the Houston Skyline Tour. Our group included four adults and five children.

My observations are as follows:

-One of the big draws of this tour was the idea of seeing the Houston Skyline. The Skyline does not become visible until the last quarter of the tour. During most of the tour you could see the trees along the banks (along with a few birds). By the time we reached the part with the skyline, I was pretty tired and not very interested in taking photos, so I would have enjoyed it if it had been half as long.

-The lead guide was not particularly friendly or engaging. He asked when we started who had previous kayaking experience. Most of us had been kayaking a few times, but none of us were regulars at it. He complained several times about some of the weaker members (two 12 year old girls), apparently assuming that the fact one had been kayaking made her an expert.

-We were told at the beginning that we would be given an option to stop at the midway point, but that did not happen.

-We were told that we would travel as fast as the slowest member. After we cleared the areas with obstruction, the lead guide took off a young couple. I was the third canoe in line most of the last third and they were often out of sight.

If you are an experienced kayaker or visit with a young and fit partner, then this might be enjoyable, as this is who the guide seemed to prefer. I would not recommend it for family with pre-teens or even younger teens (unless they are experienced).

Visited July 2014
102 attraction reviews
“Awesome Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

The Buffalo Bayou Shuttle is a great company for us to have in this city. We have taken their guided tour and also just used the shuttle service to move us and our own kayaks thru the bayou system. All around good...

Visited June 2014
4 attraction reviews
“You guys make it so EASY!!! THANK YOU”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I visited and reviewed bayou shuttle in the past when my wife and I finally took their kayak tour. Now I'm getting ready for the annual Buffalo Bayou Regatta and this last weekend (February 22nd). We found out last time that you need to make a reservation. Otherwise you might have to wait a while for the shuttle to make it back to you. So I made my reservation for the shuttle to transfer me and my wife upstream and everything was perfect. This is top notch service.

When we showed up not only did they help us get our kayaks down off of the car, but they carried them for us to the trailer and loaded them. We were with a group of about 12-15 kayakers all training for the regatta. They shuttled all of us at the same time with their trailer and bus.

However, the service didn't just end there. Normally after they drop you off that's the last you will see of them for the day. However this time was different. They knew we would be tired after our 14 mile paddle. Since we had such a large number of boats it would take us a while to get them all back up to our cars. So when we arrived at our take out, we were surprised to see that they were there to help us again. They helped us all get out of the water and even helped carry the boats back up the hill to our cars. This was a blessing because sure enough, I was exhausted.

I asked why they were there at the end and the man said they had some rentals to put in a few hours earlier and they knew we were coming, so there was no point to leave when they could deliver better customer service by staying and helping to make sure we all had a wonderful time.

NOW THAT'S SERVICE!!!

So now I have taken the tour last year and utilized the shuttle this year. I really enjoy this company as they make it so easy. I will continue to use them and recommend them to others. This year I want to find the time to try their other tours. Now that we have our own kayaks, it will be a great excuse to get more use out of them.

Visited February 2014
4 attraction reviews
“This was absolutely WONDERFUL!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We have been wanting to take this tour for some time now, but every time nature didn't cooperate and thunderstorms cancelled our tour. We took the bike tour with their sister company and had a lot of fun, so we wanted to kayak. We finally got to take the tour after 3 times the weather cancelled it on us. I'm so happy we chose to keep rescheduling. This was so much fun and a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

We chose to ride in a tandem kayak while some of the others chose to ride in the smaller single kayaks. I have kayaked before so I was skeptical about the tandem as I'm not a small person. The tandem kayak they gave us was really nice. It was a sit on top kayak and about 16 feet long with more than enough leg room. I even had room behind me on the deck of the kayak for my small cooler.

The seats were fully adjustable which took some playing with to get them just right for my body type, but once I did it really helped out as I don't have the best back.

Ok now on to the tour:
First let me say, how surprised I was. I was expecting more industrial or channelized, as most of the bayous I've seen around Houston are covered in concrete. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was wrong. There were beautiful plants and trees everywhere. Happy fish were jumping out of the water to greet us and say hello. Many different kinds of birds were flying all over. I completely forgot that I was still inside one of the largest cities in the country. Everything was just so beautiful.

There was a lot of trash in spots, but this I expected since the bayous are the drainage ditches of Houston. It didn't take much to forget about the trash and focus on the real beauty surrounding us.

Our guides were very friendly and very knowledgeable when it came to the History and other points of interest. They constantly checked on everyone to make sure everyone was doing ok and even gave their own personal water to a couple that forgot to bring water to drink.

At the end of the tour everyone was full of smiles and talking about how much fun they had and how they want to try the other tours. There were two people there that brought their own kayaks for the tour. After the guides helped us out of the water, they actually grabbed the personal boats and carried it to the owner's car for them. WOW, Are you kidding me? This company hit the ball out of the park when it comes to customer service.

We can't wait to try a different tour in the future. We are already talking about scheduling a private group tour for a birthday get together. It will be something different and something fun.

My wife and I highly recommend taking a kayak tour with Bayou Shuttle Service. Of course make sure you bring plenty of water. It was still tiring and a great workout even though it was a leisurely paddle.

Visited September 2013