“Nice hotel, nice location. Issues with the points program” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #40 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Airdrie, Canada
“Nice hotel, nice location. Issues with the points program”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I've stayed here on three separate occasions in the last 6 months. Very nice rooms, comfortable beds, good food. The breakfast buffet is fairly basic, and is very consistent (it's always the same...) Bar staff in particular are very attentive, and have remembered me and my preferred drink each time.

Front counter staff seem to be different every time I've been to the desk. One each stay there have been minor issues relating to the booking. On every stay I've requested a king room, and been given a two-queen room. The desk staff has fixed it, but it's been an issue each time. One stay I was overcharged by two days, which was resolved after my stay. On the last stay, as I was checking out the desk staff asked me to join the points program, telling me that it would get me a later checkout and upgraded internet on future stays. I asked about my previous stays and was told they would be credited once my account was set up. However, that did not happen, they told me the stays were more than 30 days prior and could not be credited. That's annoying, for several reasons.

On the last stay, the TV only had a basic remote that offered channel and volume up/down, and numbers. There was no button to go to the TV guide, so there was no way to see what was on. That's annoying. And, the WiFi is very slow. There are paid options to upgrade, but they are hardly better. Trying to do a business call over Lync or Skype is an exercise in futility. Even calling the tech support was no help. Basic connectivity is fine, but anything needing good speeds will be completely hit and miss.

The reason that I've given the hotel 4 stars is issues aside, the hotel itself has been good. Very clean, very modern, very comfy. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better views.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My recommendations would be to join Travel Pass in advance and make sure to write down your number. It makes a difference with the Internet service. Plan to spend $30 if you valet park, and $19 if you self park. Plan to spend $4 in the market cafe (not open at night) if you want a coke. Plan to visit the hot tub before 10pm. Our room was beautiful. The bed was comfortable.
I really would recommend getting the Travel Pass.

Vaughan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

The Royal Sonesta Houston is a well maintained property. Spacious, clean rooms with gorgeous flat screens and comfortable beds made the stay quite enjoyable. Located within walking distance to restaurants, shopping and convenience stores.

Dunblane, Perthshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Good service and comfortable rooms, food was good. Very busy and large hotel but noise was not a problem. Well placed to access the Galleria and lots of good choices in the area if you want to eat away from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Mobile, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

No microwave or refrigerator in the room; no vending machines - a $4 soda from the coffee shop is price gouging; free Internet access unreliable and slow with tiered pricing for better access (that's absolutely unacceptable these days)... and that's what I can remember. I'm sure there was more.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Northamptonshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We spent two nights at the Royal Sonesta, which is about a 40-minute drive from George Bush airport, to enable me to fulfil a long-held ambition of visiting the Space Centre. It is conveniently located right next to the 610 interstate, although you'd be well advised to get satnav if trying to find your way there at night, and there is ample parking to the rear. The $16 per day parking charge seemed a little high, but I have no way of comparing that with other hotel parking charges.
Our room (1509) was very clean and comfortable, with two Queen beds, and has floor level motion sensor lighting to enable guests to find their way to the bathroom during the night without falling over anything. The placing of the tea/coffee making equipment in the bottom of a cupboard might not be great for people with bad backs, but wasn't a problem for us.
We ate two breakfasts and an evening meal in the hotel's ARA restaurant. The breakfasts were fine, offering a good choice of options, and the service was excellent. The same was the case for the evening meal, although ours was one of only two tables occupied during the time we were dining.
I have no idea how convenient the Royal Sonesta is for Houston's other attractions, but if you are visiting the Space Centre, it is a fairly easy journey south from the West Loop and therefore this hotel is a good choice.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Arvin M, Front Office Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear P_Tyke,

I would like to personally thank you for leaving such wonderful comments about our Hotel as this is greatly appreciated. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your rooms as well as our motion sensors that we have installed as an extra perk to accommodate our guests. It was our pleasure having to here with us and we really hope to have the chance for you to stay with us again in the near future.

Best Regards,
Arvin Missick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Wonderful hotel....the staff were so friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean, hotel facilities nice. Right next to Galleria Mall and close to downtown. From the parking attendants to the inside staff made me feel welcomed. Definitely will recommend to everyone

Dear Charlotte K,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to leave such wonderful feedback about our Hotel as this is wonderfully appreciated. Our core purpose is to add value to the lives of the people with whom we interact and I am thrilled that we were able to do just that. It was our pleasure having you here and we hope to have you visit with us in the near future.

Arvin Missick

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston? Share your experiences!