“Upscale hotel for affordable price” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2222 West Loop South, Houston, TX 77027   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #33 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“Upscale hotel for affordable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I am a complete hotel snob - I analyze everything from cleanliness to service to parking to soap. The Royal Sonesta is not the most high class hotel, meaning it cannot compare to the Peninsula, for example. But, at a decent price, this trendy, clean, modern hotel packs a punch. The food was very good, the service was also very good, and the hotel has sleek decor and is very clean. I would not recommend this hotel if you are looking for the absolute over-the-top five star experience. But, for extremely good quality at affordable price, this is your place. They have done a remarkable job of providing a great hotel at a good cost. Well done Sonesta, and thank you.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Jonathan:
Thank you for taking the time to support our strong value as a 4 diamond hotel. Your comments as a tough critic, make your review that much better. I noticed you were from Detroit...please know the Royal Sonesta is run by a Spartan...Go Green!
Happy holidays,
Jeff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for 5 nights for a work function and found it very comfortable. The room was large with a nice modern bathroom. We had a king size bed and a small lounge. The staff were always friendly and helpful and the housekeeping were excellent. The location is perfect for walking to the Galleria in about 10 minutes. The breakfast was also very good. The coffee shop downstairs makes great coffee and offers pastries as well as other small snacks. About the only thing that I would suggest is check if you can pay for the car park at the time of checkout as we were stopped at the gate and made to pay via credit card after already checking out. The room has free wifi which is limited in speed but you can upgrade at a price, which I found to be a better option.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the time taken writing your recent critique. You comments about our food, location and service are all much appreciated. We do have the convenience of allowing you to pay for your parking all on one credit card on your room folio. We will make sure our front desk agents are asking you if you are parking your car overnight upon check in.
Come back soon, and enjoy the holidays,
Monroe, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My Wife and I stayed at the Royal Sonesta Houston for a weekend getaway for a Birthday Party. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and the room was exceptionally clean and ready for us to check in early. The Concierge was very helpful as well to ensure we had a shuttle to take us to the bar where the Birthday Party was being held at. We would defiently recommend this hotel for a couple making a weekend trip to the Galleria/Houston area and will stay there again the next time we are in town.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear jry6afe,

I would like to take the time to personally thank you for leaving such amazing feedback about our hotel as this is greatly appreciated. I’m am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy and experience our superb hospitality and our wonderful newly renovated rooms. We like to make sure our guests are well taken care of it during their stay and I am pleased to know that all of your needs were satisfied. We really hope to see you again in the near future.

Appreciatively,
Jeff Fuller
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have stayed a few times in the hotel. The staff are friendly. The hotel is in an excellent location where you can do all your shopping. All the restaurants and malls are walking distance. You would not sleep hungry.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jeffrey F, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you, Maala, for your kind words. Your comments about our central location in Houston, combined with the convenience to great shopping were much appreciated. I loved your final comment about, you will not sleep hungry. We have built a culture around the words "food is Art", and take a great deal of pride in our culinary/food quality.
Your continued loyalty is much appreciated-come back again soon!

Weatherford, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here last week for one night on 12/3/14.

To begin, the front desk was able to check us in several hours before the normal check-in time; which really made our day, since we were traveling with our children, and my husband would need the car to get to a meeting. Now, the children and I were set to relax after driving several hours to get to this location.

Upon entering the room, I was more than impressed by its fresh and spotless appearance. What a wonderful welcome feeling a clean room provides! It makes such a difference in the quality of travel when a hotel is clean, and quiet, which this one was. The card in the room indicated that our room had been prepared for us by Lucia, so I want to compliment her here on what a great job she did. Thank you! We slept beautifully in the comfortable queen sized beds, another perk when traveling with children and needing a room with two beds.

It was a short stay, but the experience was enough for me to know that I would very much like to stay here again next time I am in the area.

Dear Lat50_5
Thank you so much for thaking the time to give a shout out to your section housekeeper, Lucia. Your kind words will get to her and will go into her file. Words that you used to describe our overall cleanliness [clean, fresh, spotless], make us feel proud to be associated with the Royal Sonesta.

Happy holidays,
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel staff were excellent. Mailed a few parcels during the black friday sales to the hotel, and they were very patient and accommodating in holding the items for me. Facilities in great condition, i.e. Gym.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the time taken to comment on our facilities, and the way your packages were handled. I have sent your comments onto our concierge desk.
Please come back to us soon!

regards,
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Service is slipping at this hotel. It has generally been my favorite in Houston due to location, price, service and amenities, but I've found over the last trip or two that things are starting to slip. Nothing major, but problems with service during breakfast, the room having a shower that wouldn't drain, a safe/lockbox that wouldn't work, room noise, and housekeeping throwing toiletries away without replacing them really diminished my enjoyment of my last stay. In isolation none of these are huge, but all together for a short 4 night stay tells me things are starting to slip.

I'll definitely give them another shot, but if things don't improve it may be time to switch to the Marriot, Sheraton, or Hilton properties nearby.

The positives are the high-quality Internet access, nice, clean, bright rooms, and generally friendly service. I really liked the new motion-activated lighting they installed on the floor by the beds.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Dear Mr. Anderson:
Thank you for taking the time to critique your recent stay with us. You are so right-it is the many small service inconsistencies that add up over a 4 day stay. I will use your critique to make sure our recovery time, with a slow drain or a lockbox that does not work is quickly repaired. We are constantly looking at our server schedules to insure service is consistent, specifically at breakfast. We will use your toiletries comment as a teachable moment.
Please come back to us soon-as a total hotel, it is my job to make sure we are improving.

Warm regards,

Jeff

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston? Share your experiences!