“The Royal Treatment” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 451 hotels in Houston
San Antonio, Texas
“The Royal Treatment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Royal Sonesta was truly a treat for me on this trip to Houston. I live mostly in San Antonio and often travel to Houston just to get away from everything. This time around, I was there to catch up with friends and family.

Sonesta is Euro-chic. Having just come back from Europe, I can appreciate that. It is modern in every sense and extremely well designed. Come to find out, they have just spend millions of dollars on renovations, it shows. What I truly loved about the place was the subtle and sophisticated decor. Being a minimalist at heart, I admire this type of design, when done properly. Within the lobby is housed a really cool bar area called Axis. It’s a lounge with cozy living room type seating all around. The style is impressive and the service is great. I can tell you that from the valet operators to the front desk and management, the service at Sonesta is on-point. I was even able to meet the director of restaurant operations and the director of food and beverage while enjoying a nice drink at the bar. Both were extremely passionate about the property. Mario, the director of restaurant operations is a talented sommelier and practically gave me a lesson in all things wine.

If you end up at the bar, ask about their new deconstructed drink menu. It gives you the chance to be educated on drinks and play bartender at the same time. I tried the deconstructed Mojito and loved it! Speaking of restaurants, their in-house eatery ARA is outstanding. They serve international cuisine in a very luxurious environment. They tell me that they will even be upgrading it in the near future which means it can only get better. I tried a few different things on the menu but loved their unique foie gras tamales. In fact, their entire menu is unique and refreshing. For true foodies, you’ll love the fact that the restaurant at Sonesta offers a true chef’s table. Not one inside of glass or just “near” the kitchen either. The chef’s table is actually in the kitchen where all of the action is. While, I didn’t get to do it this time around, it is on my list for my next visit.

I think several things make Sonesta a great place to stay overall. The first is the location. It’s near the famed Galleria mall (walking distance) and near the Museum district as well as close to downtown. For me, I love the proximity to the Montrose area which houses other fun restaurants and bars too. Not to mention, it’s easy access to the highway which is perfect for me. Second, the rooms. Of course, my room was perfect and the bed was amazingly comfortable. I actually got some of the best rest I’ve had in a long time. My room was immaculate and had a great layout with multiple views of the city. Windows in the rooms are double-pane glass so sound is not an issue. Still, maybe the best thing Sonesta has going is the service and attention to detail. No getaway is complete without great service and I commend the staff for making the experience of their guests their #1 priority.

For you business people, the hotel has over 50,000 sq. ft. of meeting space too…all located within the hotel. Now, that’s impressive.

Hats off to Sonesta for creating another great addition to the Houston area.

Room Tip: The higher the better for a great view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Monte H, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Lorddominici,

Thank you for taking time of out of your schedule to write this review as it means so much to us. It brings joy to my heart to know that our hard work and dedication towards our renovation has not gone unnoticed. I am also thrilled at the fact the you were able to interact with one of our best employees, Mario. I am so pleased that you were able to really enjoy your stay with great satisfaction. I hope that the next time you visit, your able to make reservations at our chef's table. It will truly be an amazing experience for you. Thank you again for your feedback and kind words. We can't wait to welcome you again, here at the wonderful Royal Sonesta.

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Glendale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Hello reviewers reading,
I stayed here for my 21st birthday which was on December 28th. I been reading about this place since a long while about almost a year when I first came to Houston I remember looking at it and wanting to stay there since I heard nothing but good things. Now my expectations and what I saw were two different things.

The bad was right when I walked in the staff looked at me and just asked what did I need, I was really put off by that and told them I was there to check in. It was a lady and another man doing my check in, it was really awkward they went to ignoring me and then TALKING IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE right in front of me. They seemed like they were joking or laughing at me since they started pointing at my ID and the screen they continued to talk in their own language in front of me laughing about something, I thought it was so rude since I'm just standing there off to the side left to wonder what are they saying. Then the man started throwing little paper balls at the lady in front of us and ignoring me again.

Then she asked me "just a king bed?" I looked at her and told her yes is that what my reservation says? and she looked at me and waited I was confused and she finally seemed annoyed and snap at me "is that all you want?" I was just in awe of how rude these people were being to me. I just told showed her my printed copy of my reservation, after that she told me she would move me into a more "modern" room that is newly renovated I told her that is fine. After all that my dear and I got situated and went to the room and dropped off some of our stuff. We took a quick nap not really looking around our room then we looked around the pictures of that the hotel has up is different than what we got. We just continued on our trip and went site seeing and then came back that's when I noticed that the bottle of waters they have in the room are for sell. I noticed that one was already opened not from us but from someone else. I was worried because they were 7$ each and I wasn't going to pay for someone else who opened it so I called the guest services and they noted it.
That is very gross since you do not know who is drinking it or what they put in it but the seal was broken.
After all I was checking my credit card to see how much they put on hold when I saw a charge for 168$ I was confused and called the front desk the lady I spoke to told me that should not have happened and whoever checked me in must have made a mistake(early in my review it was the two people at the desk laughing and joking in their own language). So I was confused and could not catch a relaxing time here.

Unfortunately I seen other hotels near Disneyland with more "modern" and bigger rooms and very lovely service for a lot less than this. I was not impressed.

Room Tip: Study on the website what room you will be getting since they might change it
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Monte H, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Omonaa,

First off I would like to start by saying Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you have many many more to come! I am terribly sorry for the behavior that you experienced at check in. This is definitely something that is by all means not appropriate in our hotel and will be looked into immediately. I would not want to experience that nor would I want any of my guest to. I apologize for the housekeeping service you received as well. Before any guests enter into a room, it is to be cleaned from top to bottom including any food and beverages from the previous guests. Cleanliness is definitely something that we practice every day so to hear this is baffling and will also be checked into immediately. I would really like for you to give us another chance in making your stay with us a lot more grand without having to experience any of the issues you did on your birthday. Please allow us the chance to show you the meaning of true customer service. If you will take us up on this offer I would like for you to contact Front Office Manager, Arvin Missick at 713-850-2809.

Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I wrote a review a couple of months ago regarding the Royal Sonesta New Orleans; we decided to give Houston a try and where they lacked in New Orleans they made up for in Houston. The staff provided top notch customer service in a professional and personable manner. Room service was perfect each and every time. We stayed in a newly remodeled room which had very modern decor. Keurig coffee maker in room, mini fridge and free bottled water and fruit in the fitness center. It appeared most of the remodeling was done and the fitness center had been moved back to its location and the pool was open. The bed and the linens were dreamy, the heat and A/C worked perfectly.

Room Tip: We had a corner room that was very quiet.
Dear Cheryl G,

We really appreciate the time you’re taking out of your schedule to write this review. It's such a wonderful feeling to know that someone recognized the hard work and dedication that our employees put into this hotel for guest such as yourself. We also worked extremely hard at the right amenities to put in the rooms to make your stay as convenient as possible. I hope any time that you come to visit Houston you will stay with us so that we can continue to impress you more and more each time.

Rayong, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

An unexpected hotel!! Located near the Galleria Mall Houston, just walk by 10 min. Good staffs, nice place and comfortable atmosphere can be found here. Friendly housekeepers and waiters can be found everywhere. If I have a chance to visit Houston again, I won't stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Monte H, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear James Beswick

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am so happy you were able to witness our wonderful housekeeping and bar staff's great hospitality, their amazing! They work very hard at trying to please our guests and making sure that everyone is well satisfied with their service. We look forward to your stay with us again! Happy Holidays!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is a newly revamped location that features modern and comfortable rooms and elegant facilities from the swanky bar to the minimalist cafe. It's walking distance to the Galleria and despite being located next to the highway, the rooms are relatively quiet. They're still finishing up the remodel so the fitness center is still being refitted but looks to be pretty good when it's ready. Free wi-fi is a plus, parking is $16 a day and general room service and hotel bites are on the pricey side (the coffee in the lounge tastes dreadful). I was impressed with everyone who works here - it's a friendly crowd and they go out of their way to help you. At $77/night on Hotwire, it's hard to fault the comfort and value and it's definitely one of the best places to stay in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Monte H, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear JamesBeswick,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to let us know how your stay at our hotel was. I'm grateful to hear that you appreciated our renovations. We truly worked hard to make sure that it would be something soothing and fun to our guests. I am sorry to hear that you weren't able to enjoy our coffee unfortunately. We try to please all of our guests by making sure any food and beverages are up to par. I will definitely pass this feedback along to make sure that we are upholding the great experience we have to provide you with a great taste in anything you may choose.

Rosenberg, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Sergio checked us in. It was my birthday and he wished me a happy birthday which was very pleasant. All the staff we came in contact with wished me a happy birthday too. They were so nice. The little touches in the room made my stay more enjoyable. There was a motion sensitive small floor light that came on to light my way every time I got up in the night. The bathroom tiles were heated. I had a wonderful time.

Dear Mrsphan718,

We really appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to let us know about your wonderful experience here at our hotel. We put a huge effort into treating our guests like true family and friends, and I am happy to hear that we succeeded in doing that with you. I’m so glad that you had a wonderful time on your birthday, and also thrilled that you were able to experience one of our best front desk agents, Sergio. We look forward to you staying with us again and cannot wait to welcome you thru the doors.

Indialantic, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I booked the Sonesta based on its reputation as a quality hotel and when making my Southwest Flight reservations to Houston the hotel popped up with a fair price. I usually avoid booking through travel or reservation services as they tend to leave you hanging if you have a problem. HOW RIGHT I AM, how wrong I was for not following my own policy and experience.
1. Trip Advisor Had recent Bad Reviews!! I didn't pay attention.
2. When I arrived reservations wrong dates. She insisted I was wrong but she could fix it for me. I pulled out my confirmation with correct dates. She asks me if I want a king. I say yes that is what is on the Prepaid Reservation. I get my key. Carry my bags to my room to find twin Beds. I carry my bags back to the desk. It is fixed.
2. The Sonesta advertises shuttle service to nearby Shopping and Restaurants. I enquire about going to the mall. I am very politely told to walk " it's easier". The main entrance is closed due to construction but its obvious to me that there is no construction in that area and the hotel does not want to staff it and directs you through the parking garage. To walk out of the hotel you must traverse a blind ally with NO lane or sidewalk for pedestrians. As I am almost run down I give up and get my rental car.
3. My wife and I get in late and decide to order room service. There is an after hours menu. Reading from THE AFTER HOURS MENU we order soup. We are told that soup is not available on the late menu he begins to tell me how I am reading the wrong menus etc etc. I hung up, it was not about no soup but, how I was lectured about reading the menu. No apology for no soup just told how wrong I was.
3. On check out day!!! I get a bill from the hotel and its LESS than I paid Southwest. This begins 45 minutes of arguing with SW who claims it's paid and the Hotel. The Southwest Agent is extremely rude. Blames it all on the hotel. Hotel blames Southwest, NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE CONSUMER!
Our only recourse is TRIP ADVISOR!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Firefozz,

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent visit. Please rest assured that we have addressed the issues and are working on solutions. These are not typical situations that occur at our property. We do pride ourselves on our reputation in the galleria area of Houston. We continue to improve our product and services that we provide to our guests. We would love for you to give our hotel another chance to show you who we truly are.

Monte Hansen

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston? Share your experiences!