“A comfortable stay in a newly remodeled modern hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2 Nights & Save 20%
Ranked #26 of 451 hotels in Houston
Austin, Texas
“A comfortable stay in a newly remodeled modern hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is a newly revamped location that features modern and comfortable rooms and elegant facilities from the swanky bar to the minimalist cafe. It's walking distance to the Galleria and despite being located next to the highway, the rooms are relatively quiet. They're still finishing up the remodel so the fitness center is still being refitted but looks to be pretty good when it's ready. Free wi-fi is a plus, parking is $16 a day and general room service and hotel bites are on the pricey side (the coffee in the lounge tastes dreadful). I was impressed with everyone who works here - it's a friendly crowd and they go out of their way to help you. At $77/night on Hotwire, it's hard to fault the comfort and value and it's definitely one of the best places to stay in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Monte H, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear JamesBeswick,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to let us know how your stay at our hotel was. I'm grateful to hear that you appreciated our renovations. We truly worked hard to make sure that it would be something soothing and fun to our guests. I am sorry to hear that you weren't able to enjoy our coffee unfortunately. We try to please all of our guests by making sure any food and beverages are up to par. I will definitely pass this feedback along to make sure that we are upholding the great experience we have to provide you with a great taste in anything you may choose.

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Rosenberg, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Sergio checked us in. It was my birthday and he wished me a happy birthday which was very pleasant. All the staff we came in contact with wished me a happy birthday too. They were so nice. The little touches in the room made my stay more enjoyable. There was a motion sensitive small floor light that came on to light my way every time I got up in the night. The bathroom tiles were heated. I had a wonderful time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrsphan718,

We really appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to let us know about your wonderful experience here at our hotel. We put a huge effort into treating our guests like true family and friends, and I am happy to hear that we succeeded in doing that with you. I’m so glad that you had a wonderful time on your birthday, and also thrilled that you were able to experience one of our best front desk agents, Sergio. We look forward to you staying with us again and cannot wait to welcome you thru the doors.

Indialantic, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I booked the Sonesta based on its reputation as a quality hotel and when making my Southwest Flight reservations to Houston the hotel popped up with a fair price. I usually avoid booking through travel or reservation services as they tend to leave you hanging if you have a problem. HOW RIGHT I AM, how wrong I was for not following my own policy and experience.
1. Trip Advisor Had recent Bad Reviews!! I didn't pay attention.
2. When I arrived reservations wrong dates. She insisted I was wrong but she could fix it for me. I pulled out my confirmation with correct dates. She asks me if I want a king. I say yes that is what is on the Prepaid Reservation. I get my key. Carry my bags to my room to find twin Beds. I carry my bags back to the desk. It is fixed.
2. The Sonesta advertises shuttle service to nearby Shopping and Restaurants. I enquire about going to the mall. I am very politely told to walk " it's easier". The main entrance is closed due to construction but its obvious to me that there is no construction in that area and the hotel does not want to staff it and directs you through the parking garage. To walk out of the hotel you must traverse a blind ally with NO lane or sidewalk for pedestrians. As I am almost run down I give up and get my rental car.
3. My wife and I get in late and decide to order room service. There is an after hours menu. Reading from THE AFTER HOURS MENU we order soup. We are told that soup is not available on the late menu he begins to tell me how I am reading the wrong menus etc etc. I hung up, it was not about no soup but, how I was lectured about reading the menu. No apology for no soup just told how wrong I was.
3. On check out day!!! I get a bill from the hotel and its LESS than I paid Southwest. This begins 45 minutes of arguing with SW who claims it's paid and the Hotel. The Southwest Agent is extremely rude. Blames it all on the hotel. Hotel blames Southwest, NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE CONSUMER!
Our only recourse is TRIP ADVISOR!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Firefozz,

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent visit. Please rest assured that we have addressed the issues and are working on solutions. These are not typical situations that occur at our property. We do pride ourselves on our reputation in the galleria area of Houston. We continue to improve our product and services that we provide to our guests. We would love for you to give our hotel another chance to show you who we truly are.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I had to spread my 2 week stay in Houston between 2 Hotels in the Galleria area. The Sonesta was a real surprise after the 1st hotel(a much more expensive hotel). All the Sonesta staff were very helpful and the duty managers knowledgeable. The recent renovations which everyone is talking about has been done very well and gives a high end feel to the hotel. This hotel competes in the middle range and for the price I was very satisfied by the standard. The rooms are the standard hotel rooms and clean, mine was a twin double room. WI FI was good for work. Someone mentioned the lifts being a bit wonky but they fall within the acceptable boundaries and the ones I went in have all been certified. Food quality and the restaurant was very good, (a bit pricey, but that is all personal choice and I may be cheap :) ). Location was OK and a small walk to the Galleria, also plenty of other restaurant's a short distance from the hotel. Breakfast starts at 6:30 which for me is a little late but that is this hotels time and it is clearly communicated. A coffee shop is open before this in the lobby. I would like to thank the assistant restaurant mgr Sven Winkler for his assistance during my stay, his good attention to detail and remembering names made it feel a friendly hotel. I would be a return customer for sure.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Monte H, General Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear MrBean_D

We are very appreciative of you taking time out of your schedule to let us know your feedback, which we truly appreciate. We take pride in our renovation as well and are thrilled that you were able to enjoy the new hotel. Sven is one of our best employees and we're happy to hear that you were able to experience his service. We look forward to welcoming you on your next stay. Please contact Front Office Manager Arvin Missick when making your next reservation. (713) 627- 7600 Ext, 2809

Sulphur, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night before we flew to Costa Rica for vacation. From valet to check out service was great, the night manager, Jonathan greeted us when we walked thru the doors and showed us around the place and made us feel very welcome . The room was awesome, the manager informed us they had recently renovated several floors. Room service was great.

Stayed December 2013
Dear MedicMoore,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the level of service received during your recent stay with us. We work hard to do everything we can to exceed our guests needs and expectations. We also strive to make our guest feel like they are a part of out family and feel lik ethey have a home away from their home. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit. Please contact Arvin Missick, Front office Manager on your next stay. (713) 627 -7600, ext. 2809.

adkins,tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed here on a living social deal. Well worth it! Great service! Great location ! Loved the shuttle! Food a lil pricey so I would recommend eating off site! Hotel was nicely decorated for the holidays. Would stay here if living social would have this hotel again.

Stayed December 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to submit a review to let us know you had an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Sonesta Houston. Please contact our Front Office Manager, Arvin Missick before your next stay! (713) 627 - 7600, ext. 2809.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

A large hotel in a great location, Royal Sonesta is a welcoming place of lodging located just west of downtown in the Galleria area. Popular among business travelers, Royal Sonesta is also praised by locals as a place to conduct a business meeting, grab a bite to eat, or enjoy a quick staycation close to home.

Royal Sonesta Houston was once Intercontinental Hotel, but has since been renovated. The improvements are evident the moment you walk through the main entrance and gaze at the modern lobby, meeting spaces, and other changes. The hotel takes on a more elegant appearance than before and it leaves guests with an ever- important positive first impression. The restaurant, full service bar, snack bar, and numerous meeting rooms on the main level are contemporary, inviting, and certainly put the guest in an optimistic frame of mind.

Rooms at the Royal Sonesta are average in size, but have been updated to reflect the modern look and feel of a state- of- art hotel. The electronics, WiFi, and other in- room amenities are in functioning order and the rooms are comfortable and clean. I did have one small problem with the refrigerator in the room, but the hotel took care of it within minutes- a tribute to the Royal Sonesta’s emphasis on service.

Houston’s Galleria area is a fun place to visit and the Royal Sonesta is a great place to stay. It is within easy walking distance to the Galleria shopping center and nightlife attractions so there is no need to worry about alternative transportation. The hotel is modern, very welcoming, and the service is second to none. It makes a good hotel choice for those visiting the Houston area, either for business or pleasure.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Arvin M, Front Office Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Bryan_Carey,

We appreciate you taking the time to submit a review to let us know you had an enjoyable stay with us. We appreciate all the wonderful things that you said about our hotel during your last stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Sonesta Houston.

Arvin Missick 713-627-7600, ext. 2809

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel Houston? Share your experiences!