“A lot to be desired...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center

Save Saved
You added Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center to your Saves list
Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   10015 South Main Street, 610 S. Loop and South Main, Houston, TX 77025-5209 (Formerly Carefree Inn Medical Center)   |
Ranked #171 of 451 hotels in Houston
Los Angeles, California
“A lot to be desired...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My friend and I felt confident about selecting this hotel for our trip, especially after reading all the TripAdvisor reviews. However, when we entered our room, we did not find the quality to match the glowing reviews. The bathroom desperately needed attention, the "wood" flooring between the bathroom and shower area suffered from perhaps a water leak (it lifted and bubbled from the sub-floor).

After spending a day on the road, we looked forward to a good, hot shower. The lack of decent water pressure from the shower made it next to impossible to get sufficiently clean. Worst was the awful stain I discovered on a bath towel only after I had used it. Needless to say, I felt no cleaner after the shower than before it.

Why didn't we inform the staff about our less-than-stellar stay? My friend and I were so road-weary from a long day of driving, we had no energy left. And, when we left the next morning, we went to the office to checkout only to find the door locked.

We did not feel this to be a safe area, contrary to other reviews. The hotel is located on a busy street with inadequate lighting in the parking lot. I almost fell in the parking lot in the pouring rain because I could not see the hole in the lot.

Yes, you get what you pay for, and had it not been for all the wonderful reviews on TripAdvisor, I would have had lower expectations and would have booked somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Latehours, General Manager at Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We value our guest reviews and try and make improvements to exceed expectations of all our guests.I would like to inform you that the refurbishment of all rooms is underway and we have started releasing new rooms. These have been well appreciated by our guests.

The room you stayed in was slated for refurbishment and we had no option to extend that to you as we were running a full house and did not want to refuse you a room after driving all that distance. This was the last batch of rooms that go in for renovation. Do let us know of your plans to visit Houston in the near future and we will have you stay in our new rooms.

The Hotel is very centrally located and very very safe. As you are aware that when it rains in Houston, it pours! We feel sorry for your experience avoiding the rain and we always caution against running on surfaces when its raining. We have uploaded pictures of our new rooms and hope you will stay with us during your next visit.

179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Carefree Inn! The room was comfortable and the staff was excellent!! It was very convenient to all of my business needs and I will be staying there the next time I'm in town..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are happy that you found are services and staff to meet your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Nederland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I almost don't want to write this review because I'm afraid if word gets out they will booked all the time.
The truth is I will never stay anywhere else in Houston ever again. This is the nicest place for the money that I've ever come across. The staff is very accommodating and gracious. The rooms are clean.
Any minor issues or slights are forgotten by all the above and beyond of this hotel.
There is a complete kitchen for guest use in addition to full breakfast fare - waffles, fruit, toast, numerous cereals, pastries, juice, milk etc. Each room has it's own microwave, refrigerator, hair dryer, coffee pot and the ice machine has Sonic type ice.
This facility is geared toward folks coming for the medical center. There is free shuttle to the medical center. There is a close family atmosphere here and there are a lot of extras - two huge canvases in office area for old and young to express themselves. There is a small gym. There is a neat little play yard for the kids. There is laundry service for personal clothing.
This place has my business.
G. Cook

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay and had so many nice things to comment about The Carefree Inn Medical center.

The Extended kitchen has been very popular with our guests , it offers a home away from home feeling. We have just concluded an extensive renovation and we are confident that the new rooms will make a big impression on you. The Entire team thanks you once again for your warm words . Looking forward to seeing you soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

The staff was excellant very helpful. The The rooms were clean and spacious ... best ones I have seen in awhile. Great location and VERY quiet!!! They also have a nice breakfast. Enjoyed my stay and WILL be back!!!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your warm words . We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We are releasing our new rooms and are confident that you will be bowled over with the look and feel of our new rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Neenah, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

First, the strength of this place is the staff, who are friendly and try to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The price is right for the area, but if you want the medical discount, you need to call. Online bookings don't give you the discount and you can't change it when you arrive. Second floor access is a problem because there is no railing on the outdoor staircase in the front of the building. We discovered on our last day that our room door did not lock easily, either. You had to push the door downward to lock it. The water pressure in the shower was low due to mineral deposits, which we improved by taking it off and cleaning it out. The a/c worked fine, thank goodness, but the beds were just ok, not especially comfortable. The room was clean but had a strong fragrant smell (floral) that hit you when you walked into the room. We loved the kitchen - what a great idea - but didn't do any cooking. The breakfast was just so-so. Waffles - yum, but the juice was orange-flavored, like Tang, not fresh or reconstituted o.j. I did use the exercise room which was small but the equipment worked well and the a/c was nice and cold.

Room Tip: Make sure the door locks!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you very much for your review of the Carefree Inn .Yes our greatest strength is the warmth and professionalism of our staff . We are happy to note that you liked our extended kitchen and the facilities we have to offer.

The Rooms are being refurbished in a phased manner and will be ready very soon. With regard to your observation on the hand railings , we have checked the same and they conform with Texas State laws.

You are absolutely right regarding contacting the hotel for a better rate. We look forward to welcoming you back at the Carefree Inn Medical Center
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

What a lovely little place to stay for a few days. Yes it is smallish but it has everything. They have a wonderful kitchen where you can cook anytime day or night with a great array of appliances and cooking utensils. The staff are so friendly and the owner Sophia was especially lovely(we actually live about 45 minutes from her family in Australia)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your wonderful review, yes good things do come in small packages!
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and found the Extended Kitchen a good concept. The idea behind it was to give our guests a feeling of being at home while being away from it. We do hope that you will visit us again in the near future.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I've had the pleasure of staying at the Carefree Inn at the Medical Center in Houston, TX on two occasions. I like to say first of all, kudos to the very low price I paid. I've stayed at many hotels of this class and this one ranks at the top of my list; which is why I felt compelled to write this review.

I stayed at this hotel because it was close to the medical center where my wife is receiving treatment. To my surprise we used their free shuttle van back and forth to her appointments. Once we had to be there for 6am in the morning, which posed no problem to their shuttle driver; they took us there that early and picked us up when we were ready. The breakfast was great, they served huge waffles, orange juice, cereal, and fresh cut fruit. Need to make your own lunch or dinner? There is a full service kitchen with a stove top, oven, and all the necessary pots and pan you can use to cook your meals. Feels just like home.

My room was nice and clean and I got a great night sleep. The staff at the front desk are very friendly and respectful. I noticed there is a fitness center but I never used it, and a computer for the guests to use. I didn't use their computer, but I did log on to their free wifi with my laptop. They offer a lot for a hotel in this area and of its class. I notice other hotels across and adjacent to Carefree Inn, but they can't beat Carefree Inn's price, service, and amenities. I would strongly recommend this hotel over the competition in the area. Thanks again Carefree Inn and keep up the good work.

Robert

Room Tip: 2nd floor has a great view of the city scape.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Latehours, Manager at Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and provide frank feedback. We take great pride in " service from the heart" our motto which every employee conforms to.

Yes the Shuttle service, Extended Kitchen, WIFI connectivity and sumptuous Breakfast are our strengths, however our greatest strength is the pride we take as caregivers for guests visiting the medical center. It is at the end of the day their smile that makes our day.

Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards

Kris

Been to Carefree Inn Houston Medical Center? Share your experiences!