“Horrible Experience, Horrible Food. Do not go !!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3,186 of 7,288 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Ice Cream
Houston
“Horrible Experience, Horrible Food. Do not go !!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

DONE !!! Never going back.....

59 Diner used to be a top choice for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. Good solid food at any meal with a nostalgic soda ship / diner feel.

In my opinion, they are washed up... finished, ruined.
I have had bad experiences the last several times I've been to any locations.. today was the final effort to give a fair chance to a Houston trademark institution.

I went to the location on Katy freeway at Town & Country / Beltway 8 area.

I will break down my food items and problems one by one:

1) Coffee - burned, old and stale
2) Eggs - i ordered egg beaters ( because the eggs frequently have eggshell in them and this is a way to make sure I don't get eggshell ) - I was served regular eggs that weren't even scrambled.. they were broken with a fork, thrown into a skillet and left to cook until the underside was browned and the top was done.. then chopped up and put on a plate.
This is not scrambled.
3) pancakes - so cold they didn't even melt the butter
4) bacon - bacon was good.. crispy and nicely cooked.
5) hash browns... straight from a bag of frozen potatoes, cooked and served totally cold.
6) Gravy - it's not gravy but that's what they call it... it's a yellow blob of what looks EXACTLY like Jello vanilla instant pudding.. and this is TEXAS ??????
DO PEOPLE NOT KNOW HOW TO MAKE GRAVY??

I complained about the eggs.. but nothing was done
I commented on the burned coffee so for a refill I was brought a cup that was very fresh but apparently it was poured before it finished brewing so it was ultra concentrated, which would have been great if the coffee they use wasn't cheap nasty trash.

This place robbed me of another meal, made me angry because they try to pass off this poor quality garbage for food.. they take your money but you DON'T get what you should.
I'm done and I will not be taken for the time, calories and price of a meal at this 'has been' ever again.
Buyer Beware !!!!!!!

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Houston, Texas
“Not the 50's Diner experience I was looking for!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

If you are looking for a “50’s Diner” experience, steer way clear of this 59 Diner! I was sorely disappointed in it! While the color scheme and some photographs do ooze 50’s, the diner at this location is just too big. It is like a warehouse instead of a diner. The Jukebox (free!) fit, but the music was turned down so low that you couldn’t hear it while standing in front of it! It was way too quiet in there! The last time I visited a 59 Diner (in Tulsa, OK) back in the early 90’s, at least there was music and the staff wore some semblance of a 50’s Diner uniform. The staff at the Town & Country 59 Diner wore red or blue Polo shirts with the 59 Diner logo and Dickies! The Cook has a burnt orange baseball cap with a star on it (not the Astros either!) The one who I assume was the manager because all the staff talked to her, had a laptop set up at the grill, and was the youngest and prettiest, wore a black Polo shirt.

We ordered the Fiesta Chicken, a Double 59er, a Kid’s chili dog (because they ran out of corn dogs) with Fried Mushrooms as the appetizer. The food was beautifully prepared and presented. It tasted great, BUT, the Pico was supposed to be a Pineapple Pico and there was not one shred of pineapple in it. There wasn’t even pineapple juice in it. The Jalapenos were so hot that my Lava-eating step-son even flinched! The Server said that other people have complained about it, but the Cook claims that “it’s what the recipe says”. To put it nicely, any moron knows that there’s pineapple in Pineapple Pico!

We visited 59 Diner about 7:00 P.M. on a Saturday. The place was not crowded at all. They had a full crew, but it seemed that only our Server (Johnny) was the only one working. He was doing so much that his “right away” was at least 10-15 minutes. There is no reason that he had to apologize EVERY TIME he came to the table. There is also no reason that we were in there for over an hour without it being our choice. There were only 6 other small groups in the restaurant. Johnny had only one other table in his section. While waiting for the dessert (to go) and check, I got bored and started looking at the pictures near the door. Who I assume was the Greeter (she didn’t greet anybody), wore a blue Polo shirt and was really grumpy. She looked at me like I was about to run out the door as I was looking at vintage pictures of Houston and JFK’s visit before he was assassinated. There were also pictures of Jimi Hendrix and the Beatles in there, but not one of Marilyn Monroe. What’s up with that?

I was NOT impressed by the service, other than Johnny. The food was tasty, other than the obviously wrong recipe for a basic Pineapple Pico. According to my wife, the price of the food (moderate) was proportional to the overall experience. She said it was “not that bad”, pricewise. If I was expecting only the food, I would agree.

• Visited November 2011