“Much better than the Yelp reviews” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Much better than the Yelp reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Great Food and Good Service The burgers and fried oyster starters were both excellent.Try to make happy hour for reasonable prices though

Visited July 2014

Manvel, Texas
“Long wait, wrong food, horrible cooking!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

To call our Sunday lunch at the Houston Texans Grille a "major disappointment" is an understatement. While our server was welcoming and friendly, he wasn't attentive. In fact, he didn't even offer to fill up my water until the meal was over and I was in the restroom, after waiting for the check for 10 minutes! Things at the Houston Texans Grille move S-L-O-W! Long wait for appetizer and burgers. This, despite only about 4 filled tables in the entire joint! On the positive, aesthetically, this place it top notch. It reminds us of a "Vegas" type restaurant/bar. But we weren't there for looks, we wanted a nice juicy burger! Unfortunately, what we received was something that Ronald McDonald would be embarrassed to serve. I ordered the "classic", mid-rare. My wife stepped it up and ordered the $16 Texan "Kobe beef" Burger, cooked medium. Her burger was supposed to be pink in the middle; mine should be near red in center. Both were charred dark brown-black through and through! At least her patty was thick. Mine was thin and about as dry as a leather boot left for a month in the Mojave Desert. In addition, neither burger was dressed the way we ordered (no mayo, no cheese, no mushrooms, etc.) After more than halfway through our meal, our waiter asked how things were. We told him how disappointing the burgers were and how they were dressed and cooked completely wrong. The manager eventually came over, apologized and said he'd take care of it. He did comp my burger off the check but did NOTHING for my wife, who could only eat about half of it due to it being cooked and cooked and cooked to death! I was in shock he didn't offer another burger (not that we wanted to wait another 25 minutes) or take her's off the check, considering we told him all the problems. Maybe this place is much better during football season, but it's a ghost town in late July and they show little desired to change that.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Service is lacking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

The food is okay, nothing special, but the service is awful. The server disappeared for long periods...there were not many customers in the restaurant and all three of the servers seemed to disappear for long periods. We ordered salsa, guacamole, and queso with chips and did not receive many chips to begin with. Server finally came back to see if the three of us needed more chips or if we would rather just wait for the main course. When we finished main course, she picked up plates and walked off saying she would get the bill. We had to call her back to tell her we wanted dessert. I definitely had the feeling they didn't care if we ever came back and we probably won't.

Visited July 2014
“Could be much better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We went to the Houston Texans Grille for lunch. The restaurant was relatively empty since no big sporting events were on at the time. We were greeted quickly, but once in our seats, it took 10 minutes or so for a server to come to the table. The BBQ burger turned out to be a cheeseburger. (I had to ask for the forgotten BBQ sauce which was delivered to our table in a small sauce cup.)
The shrimp tacos were better, but still not up to par for a Houston restaurant.

This place may be fun when viewing a sporting event, but the food is not worth the trip.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Awful Everything...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Our email sent to the GM:

I want to take a minute to tell you about an experience I had at your restaurant last night. I was there with a large group celebrating a friends birthday.

From start to finish it was a very bad visit.

My wife and I arrived early and sat at the bar and ordered drinks. I opened a tab at that time. There were 2 bartenders behind the bar and both were fairly busy. When I closed my tab I was charged for the drinks of the couple sitting next to us (they ordered 10 minutes after us). How is this even possible??? I can only guess it's not convenient to open a tab at your bar. I explained to the bartender that the charge was incorrect. Their drinks were less than mine were. The bartender said I was wrong and blew me off.

At this point I paid and we went to our table. I should have taken this as a sign of what was to come and left. Unfortunately for me I didn't.

Our waitress was Christina and another gentleman. Our group placed our drink and appetizer orders and waited. And we waited. I understood there would be a wait due to the size of our party. After a little more than 30 minutes I went to the bar myself.

The 2 bartenders were trying to service customers and fill drink orders all while they were washing all of the glasses the waitresses were piling up on the bar. I could understand what was causing the wait. I can't understand how a restaurant would only have 2 bartenders to service the entire restaurant and also be expected wash their glasses.

As we got our food My wife and I were pleased to find that it was good. I noticed midway through our dinner that Christina was by herself as the other gentleman had disappeared. At this point most of us decided to just finish the meal and leave. Unfortunately the trouble began again as we tried to get our bill. Christina went around the table to verify what people had ordered so she could split the check. This was a nice gesture on her part; however, she disappeared to the back for more than 30 minutes. I finally went to the front and spoke to a manager named Vince. He sent another girl to check on Christina but apparently did not feel compelled to get involved himself.

After another 15 minutes or more I again went to the front to see what the delay was. Vince was once again standing there with the same girl he had sent to check on Christina. Apparently "can you go check on Christina?" Doesn't mean "would you mind giving her a hand?"

When Christina came back out some of the tickets were mixed up. She attempted to correct these and came back out to our table a second and then third time. She had added food and drinks that weren't even served to our party.

At this point we were obviously frustrated with the situation and Christina's frustration showed as well. One of the other couples asked if there was someone who could help her to which Christina responded very loudly "There is no one to help me. It's just me. That's all." Christina then cursed at this couple and when they asked for the manager she told them "Go get him yourself."

I left the area to find Vince to see if he could help us. As I approached him he was on his way to the kitchen and had dishes in his hands from a table that he had just cleaned. He asked me to wait a minute and he would be back out.

He knew we were having issues and that Christina was struggling by herself, but busied himself (in a fairly empty restaurant) with cleaning up tables??? He might be better suited to bust tables than manage other people.

My frustration was not completely with Christina but also Vince for not being proactive and getting an extra server to help a party of 20+ people or being aware and able to react to a situation that needed his attention. I do believe that's it's inexcusable for one of your waitresses to raise her voice at customers and to curse at them. This was completely unprofessional regardless of her frustration level.

When Vince came back out of the kitchen I simply asked him for your card. It was apparent that he lacked the ability and the desire to get involved in order to help your employees. I feel for all of your employees that were working last night from the over tasked bartenders to the unsupported waitstaff.

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your business. I'm just expressing my displeasure. I have been a manager in the service industry for 15+ years and understand more than most that things don't always go to plan. I also understand that people are the difference and the need for the manager to be involved.