“Voted #1 burgers in Houston for a reason” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #219 of 6,949 Restaurants in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Hamburgers
corpus christi,texas
“Voted #1 burgers in Houston for a reason”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Zagat has this place rated first for burgers, so I thought I'd give it a try. It was phenomenal! We had the "sticky monkey" which was an all beef patty, bacon, peanut butter, and grilled banana! It sounds gross, but odd combinations usually make for the tastiest food. The fries were good also, you can tell they are hand cut. This little hole in the wall burger joint is excellent. I'll be in Houston again in Sept, and I plan to go back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sydney
“Authentic American burger experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This place is a real American grill shack. Great value cheeseburger with hand cut fries. It was big and fresh and tasty. Still not as good as the wagyu beef burger that you used to get from the old becasse bakery in Sydney.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Great Burger”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch today at the downtown location. I had the cheese burger with jalapeños and bacon. The advertise that their meat is 100% chuck and I believe them. The place is a bit of a dive, but the food is great. Fries were cooked perfectly and reminded me of a certain Greek restaurant on Montrose. Go early for lunch as they fill up early. Only complaint was the cockroach on the wall next to our table on the patio.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Good but heavy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Their food is very good, we often go for lunch, but be careful, there is a reason their food has nicknames like quadruple bypass.

Visited October 2012
Monterrey, Mexico
“A Great burger at a value price on a really small place....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Being a Mexican traveler visiting the US, I frequently search for good meal options when away from home, but one that never escapes me is a GREAT burger experience!
My friend Javier and I were looking for a really nice burger place near downtown and after some serious searching on the web, we decided to hit Hubcap Grill which is considered one of the best burger places in town.
Anticipation to this burger experience actually was bigger when we find the place being a really small location .. and I really mean small.
The good deal of our visit is that it was only 11:30 AM - just haf hour after opening- but I can imagine this place on a weekday on lunch hour should be packed.
You enter the place and you only see a really small dinner place with a bar that might seat 10-12 people and a couple of small tables... outside there were maybe another three four.
There is no menu,you place your order and paid at the counter. SPECIAL NOTE: They only accept cash, but there is an ATM at the end of the diner.
Being in TX, I went for the chili burger with Sweet fries while my friend Javier picked the Bacon burger and normal fries. One nice surprise is that you can request your soft drink on bottle presentation.
The wall is filled with recognition to the place...2008 Best burger in town and Zagat's 2010 comes to mind amond several newspaper articles.
These are 100% fresh beef. home made buns and real fries made right there, so if you are in a hurry, you might want to go somewhere else.
After 15 mins, our burgers arrive and just the scent of it watered our mouths.
Mine was awesome, the taste of the beef was really great and perfectly seasoned while the flavor of the chili was probably one of the best I have ever tasted.The sweet fries were also tasteful. Javier's comments were pretty much the same and as far as the bacon cooking term he said..."Just perfect"
The have a small ad that kindly request dine-in customers to not spend too much time at the table since the place is really small...one very reasonable request from a very capacity limited place.
We paid less than $25USD each, and I can tell this was way better than a more expensive burger.
Those of us that do like eatings have different criterias to rate a place /meal, so another customer might say my review is biased... but since I already checked the Kobe beef burger at the Burger Bar in Vegas at Mandalay bay, I can honestly say, Hubcap burger might win a fight with Burger bar on any given day...excluding the glamorous ambience and the high prices.
I highly recommend this place to any burger aficionados... I doubt you might be dissapointed, but one last piece of advice... if you attend on luch time, along with your empty stomach, bring a good chunk of patiance... it will worth it! Hubcap closes at 3PM.

• Visited March 2013