“Oh my.....I can hardly wait to return.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vinoteca Poscol

Vinoteca Poscol
1609 Westheimer, Houston, TX (Neartown/ Montrose)
713-529-2797
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Houson, Texas
“Oh my.....I can hardly wait to return.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Oh my... were the words continually coming out of our mouths last night at Vinoteca Poscol. I knew nothing of this restaurant until I noticed that one of the doctors where I work took recruits to VP. Hmmm....I should try this and I am so glad I did. I will be restraining myself from eating there again this week. Twice in a week would be gluttonous.......
I loved everything about this restaurant, except for perhaps the facade...which is unassuming (and that is ok), but it is in a strip center that has seen better times. Our waiter, David W., was wonderful...friendly and knowledgable. I will always ask for him. We started with the most wonderful pairing of dishes EVER.....I am now addicted to: Baked Cod Mantecato with a side of shishito peppers that were lightly fried (no batter), with a bit of seasalt and lemon. OMY.... We also tasted the Pappardelle, pheasant & mushrooms.....excellent and not too heavy. The Grouper with clams and shrimp in a white wine sauce with rapini was outstanding...could do major damage to the waistline, but worth it. An additional vedura sidedish of beets, hazelnuts and goat cheese cooked and served in parchment was good, but we were honestly too stuffed to eat it all. Great selection of wines too....I can hardly wait to return.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Austin, Texas
“Fantastic place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Both the taste of the cured meats and the dinning environment made me feel I was back in Europe! They cure various types of salami and smoked meats that are excellent. We also tried the mushroom risotto that was very good and the pheasant pappardelle that were also fresh and properly cooked al dente. The roman dates desert was a dream. The staff was very attentive, and they have a rich wine list.
The only think they have not mastered yet is the bread (it is good, but not great)

• Visited May 2013
Houston, Texas
“Oh my word this place is fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Service was knowledgeable, attentive, and on the ball. Atmosphere was nice, relaxed. FOOD was some of the best I've had recently in Houston. Cured meats fresh in house. Great cheese selection. Faro, arugula, beet salad was fresh, great textures, flavor. Bresaola is highly recommended. Pheasant Pappardelle was comforting and so good! And then there is the roast pork (only on Sunday). By far the best I've had and I am a huge roast pork fan. Rivals Feast's pork belly easily. And then to throw the kicker.. White chocolate bread pudding. You might think I'm crazy but this hands down beats the bread pudding at emerils I had a few weeks ago. Portions are very generous so definitely keep that in mind when you are overwhelmed and want to order 1 from each course! We will definitely be back to try the remaining menu!! Plus the pork again!

• Visited April 2013
Houston
“Informal, relaxed Italian comfort food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Step inside and you’re no longer in Houston, but a trattoria in Italy. Weekdays from 5-7 PM enjoy selections from the ciccheti bar, small 2- or 3-bite appetizers just like in Venice. At $1 a piece, you can splurge and get one of each: chunks of salami, Pecorino Toscano, bruschetta, or an amazing shrimp salad on brioche. Selections may vary daily or weekly. In addition, you can get a 3-oz glass of house wine for $2 or a full 6-oz glass for $4.

Typically we order off the blackboard menu, which always features a terrine, schiacchiata (flatbread pizza), pasta, carne (meat), and a pesce (fish or seafood) specials and share all the plates tapas-style. If none of those choices appeal to you, ask your waiter to select an assortment of meats and cheeses from Poscol’s salumeria. Presented on a large wooden paddle, the hard and soft cheeses made from cow’s, goat’s or sheep’s milk next to paper-thin sliced cured meats invoke butcher shops anywhere from Bologna to Milan, Venice to Florence. Sunday evenings, go before 7:00 PM if you want roast suckling pig. A popular item with the regulars, it can run out by 7:00, and I speak from experience.

Not all dishes are successful, but it depends on your tastes. We were disappointed in an eggplant caponata, highly recommended by a local restaurant critic, but in our opinion, tasted more like a blueberry compote. If the menu is too confusing, just go with the aforementioned blackboard menu or meat and cheese board, and share everything.

Ignore the strip shopping center exterior next door to a washateria. After a glass of vino rosso, some crusty bread accompanied by prosciutto and soft, sweet and salty robiola cheese, you ARE in Italy. We go for romantic dinners, birthday celebrations, and anytime we want to enjoy a casual dinner with friends and family,

• Visited April 2013
Houston, Texas
“Mixed feelings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Pros:
- food was good. It was tasty and the sizes were perfect small/medium plates to share.
- great value. We paid $50 for 2 people (2 glasses of wine and 5 plates)
Cons:
- location: it is in a parking lot and the next door stores are not very good...
- wine selection is very limited, and the wines we tried were not good
- service: our waiter was in such a hurry that he was very impatient and rude when we asked questions. He only stop being mean when my husband got upset to him.
- the menu doesn't have healthy options. Their salads were just arugula and tomato swimming in olive oil...

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere