“Not sure why it has such a high rating.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sorrel Urban Bistro

Sorrel Urban Bistro
2202 West Alabama Street, Houston, TX 77098 (Downtown)
713-677-0391
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sorrel Urban Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 7,200 restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, French, Healthy, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Kirby, Greenbriar
Description: Born out of a shared vision to bring affordable farm-to-table dining to Houston, restaurateur Ray Salti and Executive Chef Soren Pedersen have collaborated to create Sorrel Urban Bistro, a casually elegant, fresh design featuring an ever-changing blackboard menu of organically focused cuisine. Sorrel represents the second culinary collaboration between Salti and Pedersen, who also are partners at Ray’s Grill, a highly-lauded farm-to-table concept in Fulshear, TX, 20 miles West of Houston. In addition to a diverse daily menu selection featuring local organically grown produce and meat, sustainable fish and wild game, Sorrel offers a charcuterie bar with a wide variety of salami, sausages and prosciutto, both imported and housemade, along with artisan Texas cheeses, handcrafted breads and more. Beverage service includes seasonally inspired cocktails, artisanal beers and 200 plus wines (25 percent organic.) At Sorrel, it's about enjoying a culinary experience.
“Not sure why it has such a high rating.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We went there for lunch. The only part of our meal that was good were the dipping sauces for the bread. The shrimp bisque only broth and fishy. The Braised Pork Belly Risotto was very greasy and the pork was tough. Our waiter was very friendly which made it difficult to say we didn't care for the food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

The customer service was great and food was amazing. Sunday brunch and $1.00 mimosas, the best I have found in Houston. I will return :-).

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kingwood, Texas
“Great brunch on Mother's Day, service was a bit off but we had a good time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We took a business contact here for brunch, she had just arrived from Australia the day before. We sat outside as it was so nice out and inside was a bit energetic for our desire to discuss upcoming business. My wife tried their special Mimosa. Our server brought menus and the wine list. After a while we gave our order and I chose a bottle of wine, the server suggested a slightly more expensive one and I agreed as it also looked nice. Odd thing was when he came with the wine he only brought one glass! I enjoy wine but would hardly drink the whole bottle! We asked for 2 more glasses and he eventually got them to us. Then our appetizers came out and no sooner had then set them down my wife began to say, "I don't think this is what I ordered" and out of nowhere a different server reached in and snatched the dish and took it to the next table. Right behind him was another server with my wife's dish. We all had a chuckle. Then, I finished my app. first so the server took my plate. Just as my wife and guest were finishing the last of their appetizers my main course came out. Seemed odd as it is customary to serve everyone at once. I hesitated for a moment feeling awkward starting my next course and suddenly a different server snatched my plate and apologized and took it to another table! I told my wife it was beginning to remind me of the dining room scenes in Faulty Towers with John Cleese as Basil Faulty moving dishes and smacking Manuel, his immigrant employee for putting them at the wrong table.

We shared a dessert and just as the server set down the bill next to me our Australian guest took it and said it was her treat. My wife and I protested but relented and thanked her. My wife explained tipping protocol here as Australians generally don't tip service in their country. My wife suggested a tip of 20% as the meal was so nice even with the mix ups. On the way home after dropping our guest at her hotel my wife remarked how nice the meal was and so affordable, only $145 before the tip. I began to do the math and realized that the bill did not include the $85 bottle of wine or the Mimosa. They must have forgotten to run the bar part of the tab. But we agreed we will go back and they even gave my wife a Mother's Day card with a 15% off coupon for another meal. Doubt we will get the free wine next time but that's OK!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Definitely a restaurant to try!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We came on a Friday night without a reservation-but they were able to sit us by the bar. The restaurant was packed and understandably so-the food is of excellent quality and presentation. It may be be a bit pricey, but it is well worth it. The waitstaff were very attentive and friendly. We will return without a doubt!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Sorrel Urban Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is one of our "go to" restaurants in Houston. When we want a great meal along with great service this is where we head. If we can we book a table over looking the kitchen so we do so. The wine list is very good and the prices are moderate. We love the locally sourced food items and the ever changing menu. The fact that there is no valet parking is a major plus for this restaurant.

• Visited April 2013