“Would stay again” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #149 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Bronx
“Would stay again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The hotel was convienently located to my family in Cypress. The beds were very clean and comfortable, however they need to replace the recliner chair, its appearance looks dirty and worn. I picked the hotel because it also offered breakfast. And with small children the convienence was needed, however it was the worst breakfast experience I have had.. The waffle machine needs to be replaced, because it did not cook the waffles completely and they were soft and doughie. The orange juice was watered down and the cranberry juice was water with pink coloring, horrible. The apples were dried and by 7am there were no other fruits (no bananas) I stayed 4 days, however after the first horrible breakfast, my family and I went out to nearby Denny's for breakfast. They need to improve their breakfast or just don't offer it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

wingatemanager, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Houston / Willowbrook, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
First of all, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do want to apologized for the inconvenience you had with our breakfast. I wanted to let you know that the waffle machine has been replace. Your opinion if very important to us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Lake Charles, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Very pleasant stay. Personnel friendly & accommodating. Excellent variety for free breakfast. Good healthy choices. Hot tub felt so good after traveling so far. I am limited in abilities to be mobile. Was extremely happy to see an elevator. Look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed August 2012
I'm extremely happy you enjoyed your stay at the Wingate by Wyndham. Thank you for your comment.
Joaquin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at the Wingate for one night due to our flight out of Houston being cancelled. Tiffeney at the front desk was very helpful and friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. The Shuttle Service to and from the airport was excellent - even when we changed times for them to pick us up after waiting to try to fly standby....The hotel staff that we encountered were all friendly, helpful and extremely nice. The room was spacious, clean, quiet and the beds were comfortable. Wide variety of choices for breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Land O Lakes, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

My company placed us in this property as our preferred was sold out. When I entered the hotel I was greeted with a strong smell of floor polish. Not a good first impression. Check in was quick and efficient, and the young lady behind the desk was pleasant. This goes a long way toward making a stay enjoyable, so I commend Wingate for hiring good staff.

When I entered my room it had that faint stale smoke smell, the one where you suspect attempts have been made to cover, as opposed to deep clean. I checked my pillows, which smelled ok (my litmus test) so I didn't change rooms. I found other evidence of a lack of cleanliness, but nothing major - until the next morning.

I happened to look up at the ceiling in the bathroom and found it covered in mold and mildew - which explained the chest congestion I developed overnight. Had I noticed this the evening before I would have demanded a different room or hotel. I took pictures and shared them with the desk manager as I checked out.

The breakfast was just ok. Fruit was canned compote and unripe bananas. The coffee, surprisingly, tasted pretty good.

Unfortunately I will refuse to stay in this property in the future.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
wingatemanager, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Houston / Willowbrook, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
First of all, I want to apologized for this inconvenience you had at our property. This problem is already taken care of. A few days back from your check in, we found out one exhaust fan was not working which cause a few rooms to have the same issue, therefore we put those rooms out out of order. Unfortunately, this room came back to the market and my staff did not notice that this room was not ready yet and rented the room. Thank you for notifying us about the problem. Once again, my sincere apologies.
Old Lyme, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed here only one night, but after our less than stellar couple of nights at the Marriott near the medical center downtown, this was a welcome surprise.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. the staff friendly and courteous. Not too many guests at the hotel, so didn't have any noise issues.

We were there for a Monday night and they had "happy hour" with complimentary snacks, wine and beer. Nothing fancy, but a nice gesture. Breakfast the next morning was good, scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, etc. etc. plenty to eat.

Nice to have a small kitchenette area w/ micro, fridge, coffee maker & sink.

Parking was convenient with a gas station right down the road towards the airport (convenient for filling up the rental car)

Overall I would recommend this hotel as an excellent value, especially if you need to be near the airport.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Overall, our stay was satisfactory. However, if were to travel to Houston again, we would look for a different hotel. Here's why:

Good Points:
-Everyone we encountered that worked for the hotel was very friendly. We arrived several hours after the 3pm check-in time and the late check-in was no problem at all. The woman at check-out was also very pleasant.
-The room was very spacious and the bed was comfortable.
-The air conditioning worked very well.
-The shower has a massaging shower head, so if you like that kind of thing, you would like that. (I don't know how tall people would wash their hair though; it didn't seem to be adjustable.)
-There is an indoor pool and it's open til 10.
-There is a free hot breakfast and free parking.
-The price. We got a deal through Hotwire and it was very affordable to stay here.

Bad Points:
-The free, hot breakfast. I know this is subjective, but I thought it was gross. The hot breakfast portion consisted of scrambled eggs, sausage patties, diced potatoes, and waffles. The scrambled eggs and sausage patties reminded me of the stuff you get at McDonalds, the diced potatoes were cold, and the waffles tasted sour. I don't know how that is even possible, but that's the only way to describe it. I think my husband and I both ate a quarter of the food we got because we were hungry, but quickly stopped.
-The smell. Except for the individual rooms, everywhere else in the hotel smells weird. It hits you when you first walk in, and in the space between the two sets of sliding glass doors it smells like BO. In the hotel, the BO smell is a little more subtle, but still noticeable. It's also very noticeable in the hallways.
-The housekeeping. We came to Houston to shoot a wedding, and our first morning at the hotel was a little hectic getting everything ready, so our room was a little in disarray. (Not like clothes everywhere, we just had an ironing board out.) We also arrived late the night before and just grabbed some Frosties from Wendy's for dinner. We ended up not eating all of them, but didn't want to put them in the trash cans because the trash cans had no bags and we didn't want it to make a mess. So we left them out on the nightstand, thinking housekeeping would see them and throw them away. We had also brought up two juice glasses from breakfast and sat the empty ones by the coffeemaker area for housekeeping to take with them. When we came back to our room at midnight that night, the ironing board was still out, all of the trash in the room was still there, and the juice glasses were still sitting there. It appeared that they had just made the bed and left. Maybe this is what they are supposed to do at this hotel chain, but it's not what we're used do.

Like I said, the experience was OK, but not great. If you want somewhere that's inexpensive for a night or two, this is probably better than a Motel 8. For an extensive stay, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stopped here on a 1 night layover on our way to Europe. Shuttle Service from the Airport was excellent and arrived in a timely manor, after arriving at the Hotel at 1am - we asked the Front Desk staff if the Burger King on the corner 1/2 mile away would still be open, which we were assured it was. After the half mile walk along the dark Houston frontage road to the Burger King it was a little disappointing to find it closed, there was however a convenience store on the same corner, so we were able to get a snack before hitting the sack.

The Room was clean and appointed with several nice amenities including a Fridge & Microwave. Nice sized room and bathroom, very clean with a nice sized LCD TV.

One of the major factors in deciding to go with this hotel was the previously read recommendations about the breakfast. They were not wrong - this hotel offers a full and free breakfast buffet with Hot & Cold food, coffee, juice, cereal, waffles, toast - anything you could ask for before hitting the road. We wondered down from our room at 8am - an hour before breakfast was due to end and the staff were still on hand making sure the options were well stocked. Along with the awesome rate and clean room, I'd certainly recommend this Hotel to anyone travelling with a family.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Houston / Willowbrook? Share your experiences!