You added Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd. to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd.
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1301 South Braeswood Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd.)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #307 of 456 Hotels in Houston
Alexandria, LA
“stay ANYWHERE but here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My father was a first time patient at MD Anderson, and we went with the understanding that we may be there 3-5 days. Upon checking in on Sunday afternoon, we went to our first room and unpacked. We noticed that there was some trash around the room as if it had not been cleaned after the previous guest checked out. The couch was so dirty and sticky we wouldn't sit on it. The carpet was filthy. Shortly thereafter, we discovered that one of the air conditioning units (ancient) did not work. After calling down to the front desk, we were told they would give us another room because maintenance did not work on weekends. No assistance was offered to change rooms, so we loaded everything up and relocated. The second room was slightly cleaner, but something had been spilled on the carpet, and had dripped a trail across the room. The microwave was filthy with some sort of food that had splattered in it and never been cleaned off. Since our room had a sofa sleeper, I proceeded to open it up. As soon as I picked up the couch cushions, I found a condom wrapper lying underneath the cushion. The bed itself had no sheet and no blanket on it, and there wasn't one in the room anywhere to make the bed up. One of the regular beds was found to have a coat hanger lying in the bed between the sheets. Went to turn the TV on, and the remote control didn't have batteries. Had to go down to front desk to get batteries....got back to room and realized that the remote control was actually to the DVD player, not the TV. Never did find TV remote. No alarm clock in room at all. Curtains all had water stains on them. Even though the room had 2 double beds and a sofa sleeper, which would suggest at least 3 guests, there was only one coffee cup in the kitchenette. No sort of disposable cups for brushing teeth, etc. The only clean thing in the room was the refrigerator, and even though it was on the coldest setting, it was barely cool inside. We were really surprised to find out that we had to empty our own trash, and traipse down to the front desk to exchange our used towels for clean ones. After the first night, we also stripped the beds down and got clean sheets---we seriously doubted they had ever been changed from the previous guest. There is also a pervasive smell of smoke on the 3rd floor; the entire hotel smells as if it's been heavily doused with Carpet Fresh or some other sort of air freshener, but it doesn't smell pleasant.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless there was nowhere else to stay. We will NOT stay there again. Had we needed to stay more than 2 nights, we would have moved to another hotel. After a little research, we found that there are plenty of hotels in the immediate area that are in the same price range (some actually a little cheaper); most of them offer the same shuttle service. In my opinion, if you are a patient of the medical center that has any type of compromised immune system, you need to steer clear of this place, because it is not clean at all. And I'm sure if you are going through the draining process of doing chemo, dr's appts, and diagnostic tests all day long, the last thing you want or need to be doing is cleaning your hotel room when you get back at night. Matter of fact, the floors at MD Anderson were 10x cleaner than the hallways in the hotel. Maybe we should have slept there.

Room Tip: there is no such thing as a good room here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd., responded to this review, August 17, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review for our hotel. First, let me begin by saying that I hope your father is doing well; we are so sorry to hear that he is sick and going through treatments. Second, our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

As you mentioned in your post, we know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The room condition you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on room cleaning and inspection policy.

As well, our staff strives to provide the best possible customer service to our guests, accommodating their needs. We coach them on how to provide a level of professionalism and accountability to everyone who stays at our properties. It seems in your case, we were unable to meet your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have stayed on several ocasions. i have always received excellent service,my stays have been due to medical reasons, husband needs a heart transplant and therefore it is convenent to hospital ,i get drop /pickup off at the door of the hospital and the friendliest shuttle staff. a very safe place , i have never seen anything that would have alarmed me. i always see the manager with a smile and greeting everyone.To the president of the company, i would recommend that it would be updated a bit and better breakfast . all staff is friendly and helpful. i would recommend this place to stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd., responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Deluxe Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. -Braeswood Blvd.. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I recently stayed in extended stay deluxe Houston for one month. The rooms are ok, clean, well equipped and in good conditions. The weak parts are: the housekeeping service that is only once a week, the breakfast that is very, very poor and the fitness center that is only equipped with 3 stairs(and nothing more). The strong parts are: the front desk service that is very helpful and the shuttle service that is pretty handy.

Overall it is a nice place to stay if you want to expend less than 70 dolars per night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. -Braeswood Blvd.. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Nastiest place I have ever stayed. The hallways and the room stunk bad. Couldn't get fresh towels. Wouldnt stay again if they paid me to- they outta bulldoze that stink hole.

• Stayed July 2012
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd., responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Texarkana, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed two nights because our daughter-in-law was to have cancer surgery.
The surgery was canceled, which was upsetting, but ended up being a good thing.
We stayed at the same hotel as our son and his family. It very convenient and we really appreciated the shuttle. The morning of the surgery the shuttle was too full to fit all of us in, but the driver said she would be right back because she know how anxious we were to get there. She was back in no time and we really appreciated it. The staff was always very helpful and breakfast was good. The only negative was we couldn't figure out how to get the shower to come on and had to go to the desk twice for help. Our son's room had a sign telling you how, but ours didn't. Also, there was a hole in the countertop by the stove, which seemed dangerous. Other than that our stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd., responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Deluxe Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. -Braeswood Blvd.. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Saipan, Mariana Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

It was hot and humid when I arrived. The last thing I wanted was a crappy hotel and dirty room. Well... This hotel surpassed my expectations. The front desk was helpful. Got my key to my room swiftly without any hassle. The room itself had a large bed with a mini kitchen with a microwave and pretty sweet "office" desk where you can put down your work and laptop. I only stayed here for 2 nights but would not have minded if I stayed a bit longer. Hotels in Houston are expensive and this was definitely in my budget.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Last summer, we had to work in Houston, and there was some absurdly large convention in town, and this was the only conveniently located hotel available. EVERY hotel in Houston was booked. It as insane. So we booked here. I actually stayed here in 2008 when my client managed to bring me into town another time when some absurdly large convention resulted in every other hotel being booked. It wasn't as if a Hilton was $900/night. All rooms were booked at all levels, and the only available hotels were at the airport or the space center or in Sugarland. Again, insane. So, we stayed here both times. In 2008, it was nice enough. No frills, but fine. My 2011 summer stay was atrocious. My colleagues and I had 8 rooms booked. When we checked in at 5 PM, they said seven of the rooms were booked and the last one was "not available." They didn't know when it would be available, because, as I found out, it was drying out. They had just shampooed the rugs. Well, I waited an hour and then took the room which still had soaking wet carpet and reeked of mildew or body fluids or both. It was awful. Their solution? No, don't put me in another room - "all were booked" - spray down the room with chemically air freshener. Enter the headache from the smell. On top of the unexplained reason for soaking the carpet, pulling out the industrial dryer, and then having to cover up that smell with air freshener, I noticed that the room had an overall level of grime that wasn't present in 2008. I guess that's what happens when you don't have daily housekeeping. The room was filthy. Brown grime on the furniture. Sticky bedspread. Mildew in the bathroom. Oh, and the microwave had been ripped off the wall, exposing the original holes in the cabinets. I went into coworkers' rooms, and while generally odor-free, they were still grimy. I got up early the next day and went to work. I got back and five, and the room still smelled terrible. I asked for a new room, and was told "Nope, you should've asked this morning." Again, sold out and the cleaning staff left for the day so i couldn't get a new room and have them pawn this dog off on someone else. On the third day, I was truly fed up. I felt soooo gross in this hotel. Did I mention the nasty, worn out mattress? Oh gosh, this place was bad.

On the third day, I spoke up again. They offered me a free night. I said that didn't really matter to me, since work was paying for my trip. And I said I suffered through two disgusting nights with no word from the manager, even though I mentioned this disgusting room multiple times. At that point, they offered both nights for free, but I said I wanted to check out early. I think I paid for one night, which I felt was fair. They did offer me a certificate for a free night, which would be useful, but I was so burned by this experience, that I never want to go to any Extended Stay "Deluxe" again.

I recognize my situation was unique. However, even if I hadn't had the room with the mystery problem that had to be hosed down, the fact remains that the rooms were grimy and not undergoing any kind of regular comprehensive cleaning. I'm not sure what happened here. It was fine a few years back. It may be fine in 2012. But I think that the lack of daily housekeeping is part of the problem. Yes, I understand that's how it works at this type of hotel, but boy, the place was grimy.

I think what really annoys me about the place being so poorly maintained is that it is next to the hospital and so many people staying here are visiting terminally ill family members and it just seems like this hotel is taking advantage of them. The room rates were decent, but why should they endure such a slipshod place during their troubling times. Ugh. I really hope this place got its act together because it was a major failure for me. Again, I had no problem with the basic accommodations. if it were clean, I'd give the place a much higher rating because it would've provided good value. But it was just soooooo skeevy. You'd think that with such a simple setup, you could keep it clean. You'd be wrong.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay Deluxe Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. -Braeswood Blvd.. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Been to Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd.

Address: 1301 South Braeswood Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd.)
Location: United States > Texas > Texas Gulf Coast > Houston
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Swimming Pool
Ranked #307 of 456 Hotels in Houston
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd. 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Extended Stay, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stay Deluxe Houston-Medical Center Braeswood Hotel Houston
Houston Extended Stay
Extended Stay Houston

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Reliant Pk. - Braeswood Blvd., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.