“Not Bad, But Lots of "Hip-Hype" and Issues” 3 of 5 stars

Rates from $99
Ranked #122 of 455 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hartford, Connecticut
“Not Bad, But Lots of "Hip-Hype" and Issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I spent 3 nights at the Hotel Derek attending a corporate event and its not a bad spot but just suffers from trying way to hard to be "hip" and not enough on the basics of good hotel management creating a negative experience

At arrival we found the parking valet, bell and front desk staff very efficient and accommodating We were not a huge group, just 6 rooms but we we all checked in and on our way in less than 15 minutes. The lobby area is spacious and very well laid out , including areas which naturally encourage groups to linger. However, we all immediately noticed the overwhelming, and very unpleasant amount of air freshener/perfume that seems to be pumped into the air. If you are at all fragrance sensitive, its intense enough to make your eyes water and nose run. Two of the people in our group experienced the same intense air freshener issue in the hall on their respective floors. It was so bad we all started to speculate where the dead body had been found.

The next issue is housekeeping. The rooms are well appointed, beds very comfortable and the linens of high quality. That said, I was very taken aback that the housekeeper who made up my room on the both days did not wipe out the sink or clean the bathroom floor whatsoever. I would not have noticed either, but I had spilled a bit of powdered foundation both on the counter and the sink and noticed both when I returned at the end of the day. The second day I had emptied the last of a cup of black coffee into the sink before disposing of the paper cup and there was still coffee in the sink. This is my estimation, is a huge issue that made me question the cleanliness of everything in the room.

I also was never able to connect to the wireless internet in the room. I travel with a MIFI pack, so I didn't even bother to contact the hotel about the problem. Another person in our group had the same issue, so its probably inadequate service on particular floors.

My last issue here is the platform bed frame, which sticks out 4 to 5 inches from the edge of the mattress. As stated earlier, the bed is quite comfortable. But the edges of the frame are square and a bit sharp and I managed to bang both my shins on the frame several times over three nights resulting in a lovely big bruise on both legs - and a lot of swearing.

I used the gym twice to run and on both occasions arrived by 5:45 AM to beat the 6;15 gym crowd. The gym is very nicely appointed, there is no trace of the lobby perfume and there were 8 treadmills. However three of the eight were broken without signs. One sounded like it was going to blow apart with a problem in the tread mechanism and the other two had electrical issues. On all the machines there is no information on how to work the TV, so you live whatever was playing as I couldn't even figure out how to shut the video off. Thank goodness for a good playlist on my iPhone. However another house keeping issue arose in the gym. There is nothing provided to allow you to clean the machines either before or after using them, such as paper towels or sanitizing wipes. How can this be during flu season and considering the other stuff going around these days? I am a bit neurotic about this, so on the second day I brought (and used before and after my run) the little packet of Clorox wipes I use on airplane arm rests and tray tables.

A hint to those of us who drink a a lot of water, thee is an huge supply of bottled water in the gym so I stopped by and restocked my stash regularly from the gym rather than paying $5.00 for the bottle provided in the room.

Over all, for the corporate rate of $179 a night, the hotel Derek was convenient and not a bad place to stay. However,with all their "Hip-Hype", the issues with housekeeping, the gym and intense air freshener really make this a just "OK" property. My favorite part of the Derek experience and right across the street (six lanes of endless traffic) is the Grotto restaurant, which is outstanding. A bit pricey but worth enjoying two nights of our stay!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Situated between the Galleria and that other shopping district (sorry, not from Texas) right off the interstate there is lots of shopping and restaurant choices w/in the 3mile area the hotel shuttle operates. Hotel itself is hip and trendy, the on-site restaurant and bar are lovely, offering a great menu for breakfast, snacks and dinner - I wasn't there at lunch time. Drinks are not cheap, but reasonable for location. Rooms were clean, linens are luxurious, staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. My only negative is that the walls are a bit thin - a party broke out in the room next door, they sounded like they were sitting on our couch. Otherwise it was a great stay!

Room Tip: rooms facing the Galleria/interstate can be noisy
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I went on a girls weekend and we picked Hotel Derek for many reasons. The location was good because we were shopping in the area. The hotel has a shuttle and they picked us up and took us to the Galleria. It was awesome! We never even had to wait more than 5 minutes to be picked up. The rooms were nice, comfortable, and clean. I loved that there is a Starbucks on site. We ate at the restaurant and the staff was very friendly and attentive. Our experience was great and I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I happened to be in Houston on an extended business trip. Having two days off I booked a room at the Derek (it was recommended by a co-worker). While I am not an expert on Houston location, the hotel was situated at a very busy on/off ramp and had a very small (and poorly run) valet and guest drop off area. The hotel itself is trendy and seems to have been recently updated. It appears as if they have spent most of their assets on the physical appearance of the hotel, because the service level is the worst. Having spent a life time in the service industry I realize that when service is lacking at all levels it typically starts at the top. So I am not surprised that the "call or email" I was suppose to receive from "Gina," the front desk manager (?) to discuss my "issues" have yet to happen.

Simply put the staff is unfriendly and have no communication skills or ability to find solutions that would resolve simple service problems. I originally booked a King Bed room through a 3rd party vendor (Orbitz). Upon check in I was given a Double - I inquired as to the reason and the front desk clerk didn't know why, nor did she offer to change my room. The room itself is styled well, but the plumbing was horrible. The shower did not drain - I stood in ankle deep water every time I showered. The cold faucet was broken on the sink - the tap literally had to be lifted off and placed over the screw correctly in order to turn on or off. On my 2nd day in the hotel, I had forgotten to get my itemized receipt from the room service I had ordered. As I was leaving the hotel in the morning I asked the front desk clerk f they could send a copy over from the cafe. The young lady said no problem - since it was just a few hours later. She made the call and told me the receipt would be at the desk when I returned or at check out - of course it was not! Housekeeping never serviced my room - when I left in the morning (11 AM) no one had come to the room. When I returned briefly at 2 PM it still had not be turned over. I left again at 2:30 PM (housekeeping was still in my hall) and I stopped by the front desk and asked that my room be taken care off. the gentleman at the desk said no problem. Of course, I return at 11 PM that night to a dirty room - no changed linens, no fresh towels, my morning room service dishes still in the room! I go back to the front desk - the same gentleman i spoke with in the morning was still there. He remembered me - quite confused on why I did not receive service. He offered me service then (at midnight) - all I wanted was towels at that point - it took 45 more minutes to make that happen.

Upon check out I spoke to Patrick at the desk - all the managers were in a meeting. He told me he had seen my name on a list of issues and that a manger would contact me. I asked he he had my email or phone number - surprise - no he didn't. I left the information, but really doubt if I will receive a call or email. After reading the responses that management leaves on the trip advisor reviews - it appears as if they really don't care. The management replies I have read here almost always blame the customer yet excuse the hotel.

I haven't even mentioned the valet service - which never once asked if I needed a cab or my car - even when standing in the rain. Thankfully I had Uber - at least they have good service. But the congestion in the entrance to the hotel caused by the lack of organization was horrific.

All in all - not impressed with the Hotel Derek. Looks can be deceiving! Fellow travelers avoid this place - the Galleria area has so many more options that have better service.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Hotel Derek is such a nice hotel. My Daughter stays here quite frequently, but this was my first time. The rooms are so nice and a wonderful size. Everything about the hotel is a five.... The service when you pull up, the reservation desk, the cleanliness and the appearance. It's a unique hotel and such a nice place to stay in the Houston Galleria area.

• Stayed November 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I took my boyfriend here for his birthday weekend and it was absolutely amazing. The hotel's decor is stunning and creative being that I have a weakness for inspired art and decor, and the standard room with the king bed is extremely spacious. Oh, and that bed is oh so comfortable! The staff is super pleasant, and the Hotel Bar and restaurant is very reasonably priced. Not to mention it is right in the loop, so you can visit the popular galleria shopping area with luxury shops or hop right on to one of the main highways or street that can take you where the action is! I will definitely visit Hotel Derek again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I really enjoyed Hotel Derek, the room was spacious (I had a king) and everything felt very nice. the hotel has more of a modern feel, but the everything still felt very welcoming. The staff was extremely helpful and their help line does not connect to the front desk so the person answering is always focused on your requests. The room service provided a decent meal within a reasonable amount of time and of course, the proximity of the mall was great. During the week the hotel hosts a happy hour in the lobby with complimentary wine and a specific mixed drink which was a nice touch. The one issue, which other reviews have mentioned, is the poor quality of the wifi, I'm not sure if asking for an ethernet cable would have changed that, I didn't need to do anything serious during my stay.

I am a sucker for in room robes and these were very nice too.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Nick B, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Mission accomplished! Hotel Derek aims to offer a style and service that is both luxurious, fun and authentically H-Town. Thank you for stepping out of your comfort zone and staying with us on this occasion. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Live Well,

Been to Hotel Derek Houston Galleria? Share your experiences!