“Excelent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ciudad del Carmen, Mexico
“Excelent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

The hotel is very modern, the room is very confortable, the shuttle is very useful, the food in Restaurant is very good, is an excellent option to stay on Houston. Also the pool is very nice, because also you can see movies there in the afternoon

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Nick B, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, October 27, 2014
Good night is extremely important, and we like that you got one here at Hotel Derek. Cant wait to have you back.

Live Well,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Good: nice rooms, courteous staff, decent breakfast, not too noisy, free parking, good location!

Bad: wifi sucks, housekeeping irregular.

Overall a decent hotel near the Galleria but they are not affiliated with any major frequent stayer programs.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Austin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

It has been a couple of decades since I left college and I honestly wasn't thinking about going back in time when I booked my reservation at the Derek. It had been a long day when I arrived and I was tired. The hotel is hip and trendy and the service is very good. I really only had three issues in an otherwise enjoyable stay. The first occurred when I entered my room on the fourth floor and heard the dog barking so I went back to the front desk and they changed my room without question but I learned that this is a pet friendly hotel so you need to keep that in mind especially if you have allergies. The second issue had to do with the morning wake up alarm and although I could be mistaken there was the distinct odor of marijuana in the morning air. I am pretty sure it wasn't from an outside source since I was on the 14th floor. I am not normally exercised about someone else's recreational enjoyment but I was worried about the odor clinging to my clothes while I made my way to a government enforcement meeting with a client. Finally, though they may not be connected, there was a rather rowdy pool party at 7:00 am in the morning so sleeping in wasn't an option. Could be a great place if these items for your bill, though.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
We are thrilled to hear that you find Hotel Derek to be a hip and trendy spot, but we hate that fellow patrons took away from the experience that you should have had as our guest. Hotel Derek is a 100% non-smoking facility – though some skirt those rules with little regard for others. I can assure you the weekend you had imaged when booking Hotel Derek is exactly the vibe we often deliver and we’d love to welcome you back – please give me a call when you find yourself next in Houston so my team can arrange something special for you.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Planned a tween girls' hotel sleepover here because it is a fun and funky venue. Upscale enough to be a real treat, but not too pricey for mom. From the piped in smell to the rotating laser lights and brightly colored cow-themed furniture in the lobby, it was all a bit too overstimulating for my group of nerdy 12-year-olds. The lobby Starbucks is actually part of the hotel bar - so our bedtime treat of hot drinks had us seated in a loud bar on an weekend night. Again, a bit much for my crowd. Rooms were nice, large and spotlessly clean. Staff was very courteous, but lines were long at check-in and check out. Just not the right venue for our specific event.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Waco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

must say this was one of the best hotels, from the moment I arrive until departing I was greeted with warm smiles and good service. Jim Carry the concierge gentleman was over the top amazing. I was planning for a special weekend and he had many suggestions and on even a short notice made our weekend by providing chocolate covered strawberries, rose petals, and great evening suggestions. Would definitely return for another weekend getaway... PS.. Pool is awesome and they show movies every night pool side.
The only issues I had during my stay is valet arriving back to pick us up from The Galleria Mall we were told that we would have a 25 minute wait and after 45 minutes we caught a cab. The lady's at the front desk was very apologetics. Hotel also charges for late check out. I am not sure if this is normal for hotels all hotels I have stayed normally give a courtesy late check out if asked.
Still one of the best weekend ever. Thanks Hotel Derek

Room Tip: 1221 room had a view of the Galleria as well as hwy, but not noisy.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
No doubt, Jim is wonderful and we are lucky to have him on our team at Hotel Derek. Loved to hear that you enjoyed the western movies by the Splash Pool. Cant wait to have you back.

Kingwood, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I my wife and I stayed here this past weekend and we're greatly disappointed. There are so many good hotels in the Houston Galleria area that you don't need to experience the same disappointment. They have replaced their fine dining restaurant with a pool table, sandwiches and a Starbucks kiosk. Their front desk personnel is untrained and uncaring. We won't be back and hope to save as many as possible from the same disappointment we experienced. This hotel has really gone downhill.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
Green Features: LOL, this is a joke. They have so much to address that this isn't even a factor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback… Its comments like yours that help us continue evolving into a fun and enjoyable place to stay. While we love the new restaurant concept, giving guests rich southern cuisine with a fun and approaching space, we realize it may not be the ideal spot if your preference is fine dining. Thank you again for your visit and your comments. I would invite you to call on me directly if there is anything that we can do to win you over and have you back for a second experience.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I felt I was in Las Vegas. Great decor from the hotel with a party vibe but the staff wasn't friendly. They didn't get my check in time correct so I had to wait. They didn't even thank me for my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor so you can see the view of the city
Green Features: There were a couple of notices that related to being eco-friendly
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Derek Houston Galleria? Share your experiences!