“Mildly Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #134 of 451 hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Mildly Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Planned our first ever trip to Houston to meet with friends 3/15-3/17. We chose Hotel Derek due to the modern upgrades and convenient location. I can't remember which travel site we used but seemed to get a great deal during a busy Rodeo weekend.

We arrived in Houston around 2pm, knowing check in was at 3pm I called the front desk to inquire if we might be able to check in about 40 min early if possible. I was told by a female at the front desk that was fine. After having the valet take our car we approached the front desk and attempted to check in with the gentleman (not at all) employee at the front desk. I explained that I had called and inquired about an early check in. He immediately became very defensive and short dare I say unexplainably rude. He barked at us that there was no way that was going to happen and we could sit in the lobby or go to the bar for the next 30 minutes. I don't mind waiting but I do mind some snarky employee who can't keep his cool with guests, especially upon their arrival. Real nice 1st impressions Hotel Derek.

We came back to the front desk around 3:10pm and made sure to get into the other line so to avoid another rude confrontation. The lady that checked us in was very nice but flustered by the lone line of guest trying to check in. One more thing on Mr.Rude then I'm done complaining about him. While we were in line I heard him give a snarky rude response to another guest who proceeded to tell him "I don't appreciate your attitude and unprofessional behavior." Well done sir it was said nicer than I could have. We noticed after the guest called him out in front of a line of people he began doing his job, you know the one in the hospitality buisness.

We were given room 726, the website pictures are pretty accurate on what the rooms look like however ours looked tired and had some issues. First off there was a giant disgusting crusty white stain on the orange couch that sat along the window. I'm not ignorant to what occurs in a hotel but freaking GROSS!! Shout it out hotel staff! I was going to post a picture but felt it might be inappropriate. We avoided siting/putting anything on the couch. The toilet handle had to be held down the entire time while flushing and the sink was clogged and took forever to drain. I didn't want to call any of these inconveniences in due to that we would only be there 2 nights and didn't feel like waiting for hours for someone to come up and fix the problems.

They have a coffee maker in the room but you better only take your coffee black because they don't give you any sugar or cream. Another inconvenience is that there are no plugs on the sides of the bed to plug your phone or other electronics in. You will have to use the one near the desk (problems of the 1st world I suppose) and there is little counter space in the bathroom to hold let alone store anything (guess that's the payoff for being able to see the pipes). The workout room was closed for renovations and the pool was disappointing.

Now on to the good stuff. Besides the rudest hotel employee I've ever met Hotel Derek has a very nice staff. The maids are friendly and the valets are quick and very polite. They have a mandatory valet service for $23 a day, it's easier to text them your ticket number about 10 minutes in advance to leaving to ensure your car will be waiting. The location is great, in each direction there are vast amounts of shopping and eating destinations and access to the freeway is a breeze. Free wifi is always a plus as well. When we checked out Sunday the front desk employee was super nice and funny, we expressed our concern with his co-worker to him and he apologized and advised us he would let a manager know. I added a star just for him and his great customer service.

I don't know if I'd stay at The Derek Hotel again, there are so many other moderately priced hotels in the area that seem to offer better amenities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

280 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have read both positive and negative reviews. This Hotel and employees were awesome! I will say there were a number of high maintenance clients that may have given negative reviews. Our room was modern and wonderful. All around great service at check-in to check-out. The auto valet was wonderful. I would send a text and get a text back when the vehicle was ready and it didn't matter what time of day that I needed my car, they were fast and efficient!. I will say that there was a lot of noise at night, but once again some of the guest were very self-centered, which is not the fault of the hotel. Great hotel with wonderful personnel and great location.

Room Tip: If you are lite sleeper, then this may not be the hotel for you on a weekend. The typical clients c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We love that you enjoyed Hotel Derek! Reviews like yours are so wonderful to receive and share with our team throughout the hotel. Thank you - we do aim to please. Please let us know when your travels bring you back to Houston!

Live well,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is well situated and within walking distance of some restaurants and a drugstore, but, the welcome i received was very 'cold' and unwelcoming - it was if they were doing me a favour by actually checking me in - and it was too much trouble. Room was OK - but very 'orange', not my favourite colour by any stretch of the imagination! no curtains to pull across other than the hessian ones so light shone though - there were some blinds but i did not work out how to pull them down. All in all, a very average exoperinece and i will not rush to return. check out was as off-hand as the check in. Customer Service training required!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
mindywhiz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

It seemed to have many updated, but some of the basics weren't covered, such as hand soap in the room. I had to use shower gel when I washed my hands. I enjoyed the fun stylish update, but when looking at the pool there were placed that just needed a coat of paint. On point with one part, and not so much with others.
Everyone that was part of the staff was warm and friendly, no complaints about the people part of this hotel at all!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have been using the Derek for over a year due to corporate policy so I have seen the best and the worst of the Derek. The rooms are comfortable and spacious enough for my liking although some are getting a little tired with regard to the decor, which could do with a touch up.

The best is the excellent location if like me you are a fan of leaving your car and walking to a restaurant or shop. It is very well located for the Gallerias and there are several good evening and lunch restaurants nearby, within a few hundred metres.

The annoyances are the obligatory valet parking, what is it about America where you are forced into this racket!! The service in the restaurant over breakfast is a bit hit and miss as I have frequently been to the dumb waiter to get my own cutlery as staff are nowhere to be seen, irritating when you want to dine and leave. Breakfast is the same old buffet every day but not bad for that.

The internet has improved significantly in recent months due to the new management as it was atrocious and caused me to move during one visit.

Room Tip: Rooms on either side have good views although there is some although only a little road noise from t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Fortunate to stay at this boutique hotel during the busy Houston rodeo season. Even though the hotel was packed, from the moment we pulled up in our car, to the friendly and professional front desk staff and rest of the staff, everyone treated us like honored guests. Our room was clean and looked recently redone. When we asked for additional towels, they appeared promptly. We didn't eat at the restaurant or have room service this time around. There was a small fridge and microwave in the room. We got some really good rates. They have a shuttle for guests but we had our own car. Looks like we will definitely stay there again when we return to this city.

Room Tip: I don't know if all rooms were renovated, but it probably wouldn't hurt to ask for one.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
tacoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel tries to be stylish but feels outdated. The fitness center was closed. The lobby was too noisy to carry on a phone conversation - loud rhythmic thump music. The restaurant service was overpriced, which I expect at a high end place, but the service was non-existant. Access by car is pretty difficult given the location at the intersection of Westheimer and 610. Valet parking is mandatory which can be time consuming.
The room was comfortable and stylish. A little cheap on the furnishings. There was no bedside power outlet, which I find inconvenient. The free internet was not too sluggish for Netflix. Great water pressure in the shower.
I left something expensive in the room and housekeeping and the the desk were entirely indifferent and unable to help me recover the item.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Derek Houston Galleria? Share your experiences!