“Great Houston Visit” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Great Houston Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have read both positive and negative reviews. This Hotel and employees were awesome! I will say there were a number of high maintenance clients that may have given negative reviews. Our room was modern and wonderful. All around great service at check-in to check-out. The auto valet was wonderful. I would send a text and get a text back when the vehicle was ready and it didn't matter what time of day that I needed my car, they were fast and efficient!. I will say that there was a lot of noise at night, but once again some of the guest were very self-centered, which is not the fault of the hotel. Great hotel with wonderful personnel and great location.

Room Tip: If you are lite sleeper, then this may not be the hotel for you on a weekend. The typical clients c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We love that you enjoyed Hotel Derek! Reviews like yours are so wonderful to receive and share with our team throughout the hotel. Thank you - we do aim to please. Please let us know when your travels bring you back to Houston!

Live well,

282 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is well situated and within walking distance of some restaurants and a drugstore, but, the welcome i received was very 'cold' and unwelcoming - it was if they were doing me a favour by actually checking me in - and it was too much trouble. Room was OK - but very 'orange', not my favourite colour by any stretch of the imagination! no curtains to pull across other than the hessian ones so light shone though - there were some blinds but i did not work out how to pull them down. All in all, a very average exoperinece and i will not rush to return. check out was as off-hand as the check in. Customer Service training required!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
mindywhiz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

It seemed to have many updated, but some of the basics weren't covered, such as hand soap in the room. I had to use shower gel when I washed my hands. I enjoyed the fun stylish update, but when looking at the pool there were placed that just needed a coat of paint. On point with one part, and not so much with others.
Everyone that was part of the staff was warm and friendly, no complaints about the people part of this hotel at all!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have been using the Derek for over a year due to corporate policy so I have seen the best and the worst of the Derek. The rooms are comfortable and spacious enough for my liking although some are getting a little tired with regard to the decor, which could do with a touch up.

The best is the excellent location if like me you are a fan of leaving your car and walking to a restaurant or shop. It is very well located for the Gallerias and there are several good evening and lunch restaurants nearby, within a few hundred metres.

The annoyances are the obligatory valet parking, what is it about America where you are forced into this racket!! The service in the restaurant over breakfast is a bit hit and miss as I have frequently been to the dumb waiter to get my own cutlery as staff are nowhere to be seen, irritating when you want to dine and leave. Breakfast is the same old buffet every day but not bad for that.

The internet has improved significantly in recent months due to the new management as it was atrocious and caused me to move during one visit.

Room Tip: Rooms on either side have good views although there is some although only a little road noise from t...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Fortunate to stay at this boutique hotel during the busy Houston rodeo season. Even though the hotel was packed, from the moment we pulled up in our car, to the friendly and professional front desk staff and rest of the staff, everyone treated us like honored guests. Our room was clean and looked recently redone. When we asked for additional towels, they appeared promptly. We didn't eat at the restaurant or have room service this time around. There was a small fridge and microwave in the room. We got some really good rates. They have a shuttle for guests but we had our own car. Looks like we will definitely stay there again when we return to this city.

Room Tip: I don't know if all rooms were renovated, but it probably wouldn't hurt to ask for one.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
tacoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel tries to be stylish but feels outdated. The fitness center was closed. The lobby was too noisy to carry on a phone conversation - loud rhythmic thump music. The restaurant service was overpriced, which I expect at a high end place, but the service was non-existant. Access by car is pretty difficult given the location at the intersection of Westheimer and 610. Valet parking is mandatory which can be time consuming.
The room was comfortable and stylish. A little cheap on the furnishings. There was no bedside power outlet, which I find inconvenient. The free internet was not too sluggish for Netflix. Great water pressure in the shower.
I left something expensive in the room and housekeeping and the the desk were entirely indifferent and unable to help me recover the item.

philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Was in Houston for a conference. I typically stay at Marriott branded hotels so a review outside of the brand is kinda rare for me. I will say that I did enjoy my stay and was impressed with the property. The property is undergoing a renovation and as such the fitness facility was unavailable. In light of this the hotel does provide the ability to work out at a local fitness center, but I wasn’t able to take them up on this. Adjacent to the lobby was a nice restaurant which serves as a great spot to grab a drink after a long day.

The rooms were a little larger than average and have a modern feel. The water pressure was fantastic. The downside for me inability to open the windows in the room, which I really enjoy.

The service was also very good and the front desk extremely helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Derek Houston Galleria? Share your experiences!