“Typical Embassy Suites: getting rundown” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Internet
Ranked #135 of 455 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, TX
“Typical Embassy Suites: getting rundown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

This hotel seems to reflect the typical state of Embassy Suites these days: neglected and rundown. This hotel is in a great location, and I have no trouble finding parking in the surface lot. The lobby is fine. The rooms, however, are showing their age. The furniture in the "living room" part of the suite were elevated on ugly wood blocks! The bed had that lopsided thing going on, where it slants downward on the side that everyone sits down on. The TV had about half the channels that were fuzzy. The sofa was so poorly built and so worn, that if you sat down in the middle of it the the cushions popped up on either side of you. This place is okay if you aren't too picky about the things I mentioned, but I sure wouldn't pay over $160/night for this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

As this is only a five story Embassy Suites, there are none of the usual issues with elevator waits while guests check out with carts and doorman assistance. The staff is friendly and responsive and requests are met quickly and with great charm and grace.

The swans are attractive, but not the cleanliness of their water home. And cleaning it during breakfast is not attractive at all to the guests. Making more of the feeding times would provide good P.R. for the hotel to fit in with the swan motif throughout.

The Manager's Reception remains a big draw and a pleasant way to spend two hours, but would like to see more substance in the snacks: more cheese and crackers, maybe veggies and dip or salsa and chips.

Computers are a little slow, but pool and workout room are great. Overall, a pleasure to see how they make such good use of their facilities with various conferences and meetings, held in both private rooms and the Boardroom as well as in public space and on the first floor. It adds to the sense of community to see both commerical activities and families enjoying the recreational ones. Business visitors, families and vacationing groups all blend together nicely in this almost boutique-y hotel next the the famous Galleria.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I am in a Hotel 50 weeks out of a year and I would like to highly recommend the Embassy Suites Hotel Houston-Near The Galleria. The hotel is clean and close to excellent shopping and dining. What impress me most was I was working out in the gym and the Hotel Ambassador Blake Thorvaldsen brought me a cold bottle of water. After an hour on the treadmill a cold bottle of water goes a long way!

Diane

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
El Paso, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

Worst hotel experience I've had in a while...first, the check in clerk tried convincing us that the room we were in was non-smoking when it was clearly labeled as a smoking room, and truly reeked of smoke once inside. When we asked to be moved, we were seemingly "punished" by being placed in a small and noticeably run down, handicapped room directly adjacent to the noisy laundry room, with poor ventilation and malfunctioning a/c & heating unit, and a moldy bathroom. This seems to be the standard condition of this out-dated hotel--worn carpeting, tired decor, and an overall "motel" feel. When we decided to take advantage of the advertised manager's happy hour, the beer was flat/skanky and the food was gag-inducing. The hotel staff wasn't informed or knowledgeable enough about the general hotel's vicinity to provide suitable recommendations for restaurants at which to eat, despite being within walking distance of multiple dining spots. The nail on the coffin, however, was when we woke up from our second night's stay to find the hotel did not have running water. When I called the front desk to inquire, I was told the power had gone out overnight and affected the building's ability to pump water to the higher floors, and the engineering crew were working to fix it but could not provide an estimate of when running water would be restored. The operator did offer to send some bottled water up to our room for us to brush our teeth but the bottled water never came. After approximately 45 minutes wait, we decided to check out and never again return."

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Florence, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

I go to Houston once a year to visit my brother and am always looking for the "perfect" hotel. I arrived at 11 am and was able to check in my room. It is within walking distance of the Galleria, with Macy's and Nordstom's being the closest stores. There is a parking lot right on the premises, so there was not a fee for parking. The interenet is $10 for 24 hours but I think it is free in the lobby. As in all ES, there was free breakfasts and the managers reception with free drinks (just certain ones). The swans were nice to look at and there was a nice pool area and fitness center. The only negative was the heating system. It was very slow to warm the room. I will stay here next year for sure!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

Stayed here for about 3 days on my way down to Belize, and LOVED it! I've stayed here twice and will be there in Feb. The people were so nice, and the food in the morning was fresh and great. I loved that I could order my eggs my way. Also, something that will stick in my mind forever, I bought some clothes from Memorial mall, about 40 minutes away from the hotel. I got back and realized the tag was still on one and I was leaving the next day. I called down to the front desk, explained, and within 2 minutes a hotel driver was at my door. He was going to take the clothes//receipt and get the tags off. Love them, and will stay there every time! Also an incredible lobby, love the swans and peacfulness. It's elegant, yet friendly.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

The hotel is clean, elegant, and the staff are first class. Every one of the staff, went out of their way to make sure we were well taken care of. We look forward to our next trip to Houston, and look forward to another lovely stay. Thank you. You made our Christmas one to remember!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Houston - Near the Galleria? Share your experiences!