“Looks Good, Fundamentally Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston - Near the Galleria

You added Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston - Near the Galleria to your Saves list
Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston - Near the Galleria
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2911 Sage Road, Houston, TX 77056   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
PARKING PACKAGE
Ranked #132 of 470 Hotels in Houston
Calgary, Canada
“Looks Good, Fundamentally Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I have stayed here a lot over the last year. They make sure everything looks good and there's lots of space in the rooms, but there does not appear to be any attention to detail - billing is often incorrect, hot tub is not hot, room is freezing cold, fridge not plugged in, television not working, etc. etc.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Turkish first
Northern Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed there for 4 nights, along with other family members. For some reason they put us in a Handicap Suite.... Twice. All the family was suppose to be together on one floor but they had booked us on a different floor. Next day they moved us to the same floor but none of us were together and again, another Handicap Suite, which had way to tall toilets, and no tub and the ripped carpet. The shower had a very faint flow to it. The door to the bathroom in both rooms was a heavy sliding door... that doesn't even latch close. On the plus side, the beds in both rooms were very comfortable. Plus one day no one came to clean our room, or even just offer clean towels. The week day breakfast was very good... and the kitchen staff were all very friendly. The Food Manager was extremely friendly as well. We enjoyed talking with him throughout the week. As for the front counter staff.... another story. First very unaccommondating when we arrived. Then the front counter manager was very unfriendly. Eric I believe his name was, wouldn't even change up 5- $20 for a $100 bill. Seems he doesn't understand it's better to have 5-$20's in his till then 1-$100 Bill. He just wasn't a friendly person. Then we decided to leave the hotel after 4 nights, and even though we paid for 4 nights, we still got charged $75 for not giving 24 hour notice. The hotel was very full that night, but I guess you still get the charge even if they rent your room out. Would not recommend this place. There are plenty of other hotels in the area.... try your luck somewhere else. Oh, the bartender Roger is a very nice person as well....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel on a couple of occasions for work. On the plus side, the rooms are spacious and clean and the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. But on the downside, the views are appalling, the room service is variable and the location isn't the best.

Room Tip: Corner rooms cost more and aren't really better, considering the view!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Me and my wife visited him one night and he made the best herb chicken we have ever had great job james the chef. But its and great hotel to do business at and rest.

• Stayed October 2011
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Despite having prepaid my reservation for 2 nights and alerting the hotel to the fact I'd be checking in after midnight, when I arrived they'd given my room away. Jerald was very apologetic and offered to pay my taxi fare to the Best Western which had a room available and of course cover my room but it was still very disappointing. The best western was definitely not too the same standard. When I arrived back the next morning my taxi fare was again paid at my request and I was assured I had a room assigned it. After 30 mins I received my key and checked in. I was allocated a room on the newly refurbished 6th floor which is reserved for hilton honour points and miles guests. The rooms are spacious and the free bottle of water left in the evening was a nice touch. The restaurant gets very busy but the service is attentive. Despite the mix up I probably would stay again as the location is good for me and the staff went out of their way to be accommodating.

• Stayed October 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is the second time I have stayed here this year. I find the rooms to be a little smaller than other Embassy Suites at which I have stayed, except for Sacramento, near the river. The room was clean but did smell a little musty. When we reported this to the front desk, we were told that he was sorry to hear that but the rooms were being remodeled--huh?!? The hotel is located near the Galleria Mall, which is nice. especially if you like shopping. The hotel is nice and generally clean. The swans that live at the hotel are a nice addition. The breakfasts are as usual very generous and good. This time, however, the scrambled eggs were left out a little long or had been cooked well in advance, so there was scrambled egg soup-yuk! The bacon was not very wwll cooked but if you asked the chef, there was well cooked bacon available. The lobby was very comfortable and there was plenty of seating. While WiFi is not free in the rooms, there is a business center with two computers in it and WiFi is available in the lobby for free, which is not information that is readily volunteered. If you are able to access the internet in the lobby, there is the possibility that you can continue it in your room. For some reason there are no garbage cans in the lobby or near the entrance. William is awesome and is one of the better front desk clerks I have ever encountered, and is is definitely the best at this hotel. He makes it seem as if he is happy to see you and is very welcoming. I have also encountered both a male amd a female chef and would have to recommend the male chef.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
BlakeThorvaldsen, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston - Near the Galleria, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We appreciate all the detailed feedback that you provided. This will help us to improve our guest service. I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay. I will address these concerns with the appropriate department heads. If there is anything else I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me at blake.thorvaldsen@hilton.com. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Elgin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My husband and I arrived on September 10th from Scotland after a combined flying time of 13 hrs. Tired and weary we were greeted by the welcoming smile of William who was on the reception desk . He made us feel very welcome and told us all about the hotel and directed us to our room. We we situated at the front of the hotel on the 5th floor. The temperature outside at 8.30pm was still around 80deg F but our room was cool and very clean. The facilities were very good and it helps having the extra space of the suite. As it was the weekend there were quite a few families staying but generally the kids were great and very well behaved. We were aware of the importance of the date on the Sunday and although there were quite a few memoral services going on it was not gloomy. By the Monday the families had gone and the business clientelle started to arrive. Everyone we spoke to were very friendly and very interested in Scotland just as much as we were interested in Houston and Texas. We ate in the hotel restaurant and it was good. Chef James is a character and makes you laugh. I can't emphasis how good the staff were at the hotel. Special mentions must be made to Blake Thorvaldson the Service Embassador who is worth his weight in gold. His style of service which is attentive but not in your face was beyond excellent. This young man has great potential and I hope that those who have the influence to further his career will take notice. Another member of staff worth a mention is Cory Klenk who is the Food and Beverage Manager. This guy was always on the ball making sure everyone was happy and helping staff at busy times (breakfast) Danny the breakfast chef was kept busy making omelettes and pancakes to order. The breakfast are also worth a mention I can not imagine anyone going hungry with the choices available. In the evening there was a managers reception where there were free drinks and nibbles available for 2hours . Roger the barman was a mine of information about places to visit and eat. I can recommend Los Cucos on Westheimer for first class TexMex. The swans are beautiful and although I have read reviews that mention concerns about the health of the swans I was in the hotel for 11 days and witnessed the attentive care these birds got. I spoke to them every day as I passed by and at first they swam away from me, by the 5th day they began to recognise my voice and swam towards me.They were cleaned out two or three times a day and seemed perfectly happy and in good health. There are signs asking people not to touch them or feed them and I never witnessed anyone trying to. There was an eighteenth birthday party in one evening with about 20 youngsters in the hotel and not once did any of these kids do anything to upset the birds. They must be the most photographed birds in Texas. There was a free shuttle service within three miles of the hotel. The guys who ran this were great Tony W and Ozzie were great but Tony Ahmed was amazing ! Nothing was a problem and he kept us right about where to go and what to see. If he could take us he did and nothing was a problem. One last staff mention. One of the staff who helped keep tables clear at breakfast time was Rachel. A tiny little lady with blonde hair in pigtails who busied herself keeping the tables clear and making sure that everyone was happy. Always smiling it must have helped those who had to go to work start their day on a positive note.
So as you know this is a balanced review there were the odd niggle. A blocked loo and one day our room was not serviced until quite late in the afternoon but I did realise that there had been a lot of people leaving and a lot arriving. The loo was quicky fixed and the our room was serviced so not really a problem. I have stayed in a few Hiltons round the world but I think this is the best for friendly staff and service. I hope to go back to Houston and if I do I know where I will be staying!

Room Tip: The sixth floor has just been renovated and the fifth floor was being renovated
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
BlakeThorvaldsen, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston - Near the Galleria, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a nice response to our overall service and aspects of our hotel. We are glad that you had such a great time in Houston and in the United States for that matter. We are happy to have served you with our southern hospitality. Hopefully you will be able to come back to visit us in the future. If you have any questions or anything that I can assist you with, please contact me via email at blake.thorvaldsen@hilton.com. Thank you again.