“Disappointing Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #105 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Alexandria, VA
“Disappointing Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

I stayed here for only 1 night for a business trip. The hotel is undergoing renovations, so the check in is in a trailer in the parking lot. I checked in late, but the attendant was not very attentive. And I had a bad experience with a large spider landing on my hand while I was waiting to check in. The signage to get into the hotel entrance is very poor. The elevator is missing tiles and was very old. But the worst part was the ant infestation in my room. When I told the attendant about it, his comment was that it is cold and the ants are looking for a place to stay too. There was no Wi-fi, even for purchase. And the refrigerator humming noise in my room had me up all night. I would definitely stay anywhere else in the Galleria area but here.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Austin D, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Houston, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Jenin,

Thank you for taking the time to give us honest feedback. I know once all the renovations are completed your experience will be very different and I apologize it was not better this time around. As with any building or home, pests can sometimes find their way in. Please know, we have regular pest control treatments and measures are taken by an outside vendor to limit these types of occurances. I am troubled that we could not assist you in connecting to wifi at our Hotel. We do offer complimentary wifi throughout the entire building. Please reach out to me on your next visit to Houston as I would love the opportunity to show you our reimagined Hotel and experience. My email address is adavis@sonesta.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Purchase, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2014

This was chosen for me by the client I was visiting. It is an extended stay hotel and would not be my first choice for a short stay. It is very similar to a Residence Inn or Homewood Suites. My room was a king suite on the second floor.

Check in was friendly and professional. Note that the hotel is about to undergo renovations to the lobby (as of 10/22) so your check-in may be different.

My room was already renovated. It was bright and cheery, with furniture that could have come from Ikea, and two decent sized flatscreens. There was a kitchen with full size fridge, microwave and dishwasher. A two burner electric range allows for cooking, and one of my neighbors had filled the hallway with the scent of sizzling steak.
The living room had a desk and couch, as well as a table for two.
The bedroom held a large comfortable bed with good linens. Sleep quality was good.
The bathroom was separated into a vanity area with sink and a separate toilet/shower bath.
One bar of soap and lotion were provided, The other amenities, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner were offered from dispensers in the shower. Water pressure was good and there were ample towels.

A buffet breakfast is offered in the lobby. Hot items included mini-cheese omelettes, sausage rolls and make your own waffles. Fruitarians can have melon or bananas. There were also breads and muffins. Only one bagel remained on offer as of 7:00 a.m.

The hotel arranged a cab and called to let me know it had arrived.

I thought service was quite good overall.

I would prefer a bit more luxury for a short stay, but that can add up if you stay a week or more so I suppose this would be a good choice in that circumstance.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Austin D, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Houston, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
Jazz,

Thank you for your very thoughtful review. It sounds as though you truly enjoyed your room and were pleased with our current leg of renovations. We did start construction on the lobby today as you noted and I hope you'll join us again in the near future to see that finished product.

If we do not see you again before the New Year, I wish you a very pleasant Holiday Season!
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

The hotel is conveniently located to the galleria and surrounding shops. It had a full kitchen, living area, and bedroom. It was very clean, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The King bed had a huge mattress and felt like sleeping on a cloud.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Dianne,

Thank you for your recent review of our Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you truly enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Centennial, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

A couple things made my trip quite relaxing, having a kitchenette in the room allowed some meals, snacks to be prepared and a comfortable place to work in the evening. The evening social offered beer :).

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Austin D, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Houston, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Raj, Thank you so much for your time and your business. We hope to welcome you back soon!
La Porte, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

I stayed here before and so when we had to find a hotel for a short Houston stay, this was my first choice! I am sincerely impressed with the way the staff operates...they seem to have a level of professionalism and attention to detail that makes you feel like they appreciate you are "choosing" to stay with them. Makes a huge difference. The hotel is under renovation and even so it was clean and comfortable. There was only one time that we even had a small issue (wasn't anyone's fault but a mistake) and the manager Austin treated us like we were VIP's (instead of just a regular middle class family). I really like the staff here. The new rooms are beautiful. The breakfast is amazing also! I think the best part is the comfortable beds. I will always choose the hotel first if I can. I like not worrying about what kind of place we are going let our kids sleep in!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review. The team and I hope that going forward we can meet this level of service and satisfaction with each and every guest. May I join you in praising our beds? Yes, they are awesome! In my opinion, the pillows are the best part of the sleeping experience with us. We hope to see you again soon.
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014

Stayed in a recently renovated room - very clean and comfortable and quiet - slept very well. Staff was very friendly when I was checking in - very friendly and unlike lots of hotel receptionists in that respect! I also enjoyed the breakfast -- very convenient right downstairs. The newspaper was available and things were peaceful. I would not go back there, though, without a rental car. I had a difficult time getting a cab and waited over 30 minutes one day (even with the front desk assisting me, atlhough not trying to do so as urgently as I woudl have liked). I think this was an anomaly but it created a serious issue with me because I had not factored in that much wait time. It is a good functional hotel and cleaner and more peaceful than similar places but it is not 5 star. It is also in the middle of renovations so the outside reflects that. Near Galleria.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Austin D, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Houston, responded to this review, October 1, 2014
DCIrish,

I am very pleased to hear that you truly enjoyed the Hotel and our team. These comments go a long way with everyone here! We love to receive feedback; good or bad, so we are able to provide great service to our guests. I must apologize for the time it took to get a cab. Although, we can't control their response time I was surprised to hear that our follow up with the Cab Comapny could have been better. Please feel free to email me at adavis@sonesta.com if you wish to share the exact details so that we may improve our service.
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

I stayed there over the Labor Day weekend to attend the Wisconsin - LSU game at NRG Field. The rooms are nice and extensive with accommodations, including a stove, microwave, refrigerator, two TV's, glassware, and a hide-a-bed. The bathroom was fine...soap, shampoo, and conditioner came from dispensers in the shower.

There's free beer and wine from 5:30 - 7:30 PM on off-days, and there's even free breakfast and dinners. I did have to call down for blankets and collect them, since they didn't have the staff on-hand to bring them up.

A small pool and courtyard adorn the back of the property, which is pretty cool. There's even a grilling area where we got to meet some friendly LSU fans and their kids!

One tip not related to our hotel. Get addresses of places you're going from the front desk. The cab drivers we had during our stay didn't know any attraction by name, and needed addresses to be able to take us where we needed to go. Thank goodness, Omar at the front desk was very willing to help us with this mundane task.

But, for our purposes, the rooms were just fine.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Austin D, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Houston, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
We truly appreciate the time you took to give such a thoughtful review. On behalf of the team here at Sonesta Suites we thank you for your business. It was a great game, Wisconsin took a few bad breaks at the end.

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Houston? Share your experiences!