“Nice Restaurant with Tasty Food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
White Oak Kitchen + Drinks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #145 of 7,216 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Southwestern, Eclectic, International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Post Oak
Surabaya, Indonesia
“Nice Restaurant with Tasty Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2014 NEW

Went for lunch here last weekend with my friend after our shopping spree around the Galleria.

The restaurant looks classy of brass and glass similar to the other restaurants at the mall. Yet, when it comes to service, I gave this restaurant two thumbs up!

The Chinese lady who served us was very nice and friendly. She kept her smile on her face while serviced us the whole time.
We order something with grilled salmon. The food was tasty. Although the food presentation could have been improved with a bit of garnish here and there on the plate, but well, if you don't mind about the food presentation, you got heaven for your taste bud.

Visited September 2014

Houston, Texas, United States
“Surprisingly Not Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

After making a reservation (in the spirit of Houston Restaurant Weeks - HRW) and then reading some pretty negative reviews, I was afraid to be disappointed. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I enjoyed brunch there. From the HRW brunch menu, I ordered the mykonos fruit salad, the farmer's market plate, and the cinnamon roll. My SO ordered the "orange you glowing" juice, the chicken & waffles, and the blueberry pancakes.

"Surprise" really comes into how I felt about all the dishes. Normally I hate fruit salads that come in any kind of syrup or juice; I think fruit is sweet enough on its own. Thus, I was surprised I liked the mykonos fruit salad; the lime juice added a nice touch, and it wasn't syrup-y in texture or sweetness (although I still think plain fruit is better). I was further surprised by my farmer's market plate; I was expecting to receive a few triangles of pita bread, a blob of hummus, and maybe a few carrot sticks or other banal veggie crudités. Instead, an enormous pile of nicely roasted and versatile veggies (zucchini, mushrooms, sweet potato, spaghetti squash, kale, tomato, red bell pepper) appeared before me, with really soft pita and a few spoonfuls of a paprika-heavy hummus. Lastly, the cinnamon roll--it was warm and sweet but nothing outstanding. It was missing the thick, gooey cinnamon swirl that is usually in between the layers of dough, which was disappointing.

My SO said he liked the juice, as the beet & carrot flavor wasn't too overpowering as in some other juices. The chicken & Belgian waffle--I tried a bite of the waffle, crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside, great flavor. He seemed to enjoy the chicken as well. The blueberry pancakes, however, were like the cinnamon roll in that they weren't bad, but they just weren't anything special either. The waffle was the best 'pastry.'

We both really liked the coffee and the seemingly endless refills. Service was generally nice and attentive. Atmosphere wasn't too loud, at least at the time we went (9:30AM).

I'm giving it a rating of 3 because some of the food was just average in flavor or was something I could have easily recreated at home for less $$. I'm glad I tried it, but since the location is not that convenient for me, I won't go out of my way to try it again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Went here for lunch with girl friends for Houston Restaurant Week. We were seated right away as we had made reservations. Our waiter showed up soon thereafter to take our drink orders. We enjoyed either the dumplings or tortilla soup and most enjoyed the wok seared beef. I was not a fan of that myself. Most of us ordered the cinnamon roll for dessert which was quite good too.
Several things stood out here. Our waiter kept up with our glasses needing to be refilled. I LOVE that! The portions were large for lunch. Most restaurants serve smaller portions during this time frame.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very Disappointed...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Went with friends (party of 4) for HRW. Made a reservation and were seated on time. Waited 20 minutes in our booth, no service whatsoever. Finally flagged someone down, asked for menus & water. Took 10 more minutes to get these items. Granted, they were busy, but service was ridiculously non-existent. Finally got our food orders placed (which was an ordeal- were told that we all had to do either lunch OR brunch, couldn't mix the 2 meals- then, magically, we could), waited even more. Food arrived, no silverware... Underwhelmed by food. It had potential, but almost all of it served cool or cold, not even warm... Very disappointed. Took us over 3 hours to eat brunch/lunch. And when we asked about validating our parking, the server told us that the person up front would take care of that... Asked up front and were told that they "didn't validate on Sundays"... Really?!? That would have been nice to know. So $15 for parking on top of a $100 food & drink bill (for 2 of us). Totally not worth it. Will not be back and would not recommend. The only reason I'm giving 2 stars rather than 1 is because the gentleman who finally did end up serving us was trying very hard. They were understaffed and chaotic. Not his fault, but a very bad experience overall. :-(

Houston Texas
“Nice inside, staff friendly, food average, music too loud”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Visited this restaurant during Houstons Restaurant Week for lunch. Restaurant inside very nice, not too bright, not a fan of the cutlery, knives awkward in the way they rest. Music was way too loud for lunchtime chatting, we asked for it to be turned down, which it was for a while, so we moved tables but it was loud in the new location too. Eventually the music became more tolerable. Considering the age group of others in for lunch also at the same time, this was not a place where loud music would be expected at this time of the day. Our server was excellent, he did a good job. The zucchini fritter was nice, Tortilla soup ok, burger with kale very nice, beef & rice, average, cinnamon bun with ice cream huge but would have been better served warm. Serving it cold made the bun a little dry. Generally a nice place to have lunch whilst out shopping, the staff did a good job but the food we had just average.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
WhiteOakKitchen, Guest Relations Manager at White Oak Kitchen + Drinks, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Spangle 1,

Thank you for taking the time out to write us a review. We really appreciate your feedback. We are deeply sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your experience at White Oak. We take pride in serving the highest quality in food and produce and also making sure our guests are comfortable. We hate that we failed you. Hopefully we will see you again so we can make your experience a much better one!

Warmest regards,