“Bacon wrapped shrimp was awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 7,200 restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: South American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Lovely atmosphere with warm colors, beautiful bar and private room for parties.
Calgary, Canada
“Bacon wrapped shrimp was awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

While in Houston for business we found Saldivia's on Tripadvisor's suggested restaurants to eat at in Houston. We were not dissapointed! The waiter suggested empanadas for an appetizer and we tried one beef and one spinach/cheese. The spinach and cheese one was definitely our favorite. For dinner we both had the bacon wrapped shrimp with roast potatoes and vegitables and it was so delicious. The portion was huge and I had to give up before I had finished everything. For desert we tried the tres leche cake and the creme brule. Both were very good but we were just so full from dinner we couldnt eat much of either. I would highly reccomend Saldivia's to anyone looking for great flavorful food.

Visited April 2013
csaldivia, Owner at Saldivia's South American Grill, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. We hope to see you again!
Gus Saldivia

95% Recommend
Boulder, Colorado
“Argentina in the Strip Mall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Authentic place..haven't gone through the whole menu - but tastes very nice..not 5 star however. The main plus is the family friendly atmosphere. You can go there business or family and relax and have a nice and reasonable dinner. Not as good as some places in Buenos Aires - but pretty close for Houston standard. The owner is around and authentic, too. Hard to find in Houston where some German places are run by Mexican owners. They have good lunch deals as well. Definitely more relaxing than the 'high octan" Brazilean churascerias in the neighborhood of Westheimer, where you spend twice as much and dont have the relaxed atmosphere...

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
csaldivia, Owner at Saldivia's South American Grill, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for the review! We loved serving you and look forward to seeing you again.
“If you can't fly to Buenos Aires this weekend - then come to Saldivia's!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

An amazing menu of all of my Argentine favourites - from the empanadas, the parrilladas, the vacio, and more! Finishing off the evening with tiramisu or flan with a great serving of dulce de leche. The atmosphere is excellent and is well accompanied on the weekends with live tango music and excellent bottles of wine. This restaurant will not disappoint. One of my very favourites of Houston!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
csaldivia, Owner at Saldivia's South American Grill, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. We enjoyed serving you and welcome you any time!
Austin, Texas
“We went on a bad night?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Based upon the glowing reviews here, we drove 20 minutes from our Houston hotel, hoping to find delicious Latin American food. At first, we thought we were at the wrong place. We found Saldivia's in a nondescript strip mall and the place was empty except for one other couple. We have traveled extensively in South America, and we know what good Latin American food is (see my review for Americas, another Houston restaurant). We first ordered the beef empanadas, which were a poor representation of one of our favorite appetizers. My husband then had the entrana, a beef skirt steak, which was good but not special. I ordered a breaded chicken breast with mozzarella and tomatoes, which had no flavor. To my horror, I found a tiny piece of wire (maybe from a wire pot scrubber?) that had been baked into the chicken. The restaurant's owner/manager who was there that night, and who was not the older man in the photo, seemed like a very nice guy. I didn't complain, though I left all but a few bites on my plate, and we paid our pricey bill and left hungry. I hate to give bad reviews, but I want to warn my fellow travelers about this place. We can't believe this is one of the top-rated restaurants in a city with so many very fine restaurants!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
csaldivia, Owner at Saldivia's South American Grill, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your dinner. I do appreciate that you provided feedback so that we can strive to do better. This review was quite a surprise as we have never had one bad review before. I would love it if you gave us another chance. I will personally take care of you.
Christina Saldivia
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great value and try the lunch specials”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Thank you TripAdvisors for again finding and reviewing another jewel in Houston. Went for lunch and I had the roast half chicken and grilled vegetables special for 9.95. The chicken was so moist and delicious, but with the perfectly grilled veggies, I could not finish the chicken. I brought the left over chicken home. The next day it was still very flavorful. Try Saldiva's!

• Visited January 2013