“Very nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 451 Hotels in Houston
Houston, TX
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I booked our entire staff into this hotel for a Christmas party we were having nearby. The staff was very accommodating, I pre-paid everyone's room and valet parking so our staff could merely arrive, valet park, and get their keys at no charge. The hotel is nice, new, and clean. The staff were friendly and professional. This is a tip-friendly hotel, so prepare to tip everyone from the valet to the bellhop. It's a 4-star hotel at its fullest. The bar downstairs is decent, but closes early. The smoking deck is very well-equipped and the infinity pool is awesome.

The rooms are beautiful and well-furnished. The showers are modern - no bathtub in our room - and attractive. The fixtures, carpet, everything screams high quality. The views aren't very great in any room....a freeway, a parking garage, and Memorial City Mall. I'm surprised at how nice Memorial City Mall has gotten. It was a real dump back in the day, but it's risen to the occasion. You get a free coupon at check in for Macy's at the mall and it was a nice touch.

I didn't eat at the restaurant. All in all, a great visit, but it won't be cheap. For the money, I could do better, but this is clearly the nicest hotel in the energy corridor.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the parking garage for the quietest experience.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband I checked in to this hotel the day after Christmas. It was in the evening, but that's no excuse for the lack of customer service that we experienced. The manager on duty, who was also the only person checking people in, failed to acknowledge anyone other than the couple she was helping at the moment.
She did make a half-hearted attempt to apologize, but only once I made it to the desk. She did not offer anything to make our stay better.
Once we arrived in our room, we were too tired to care much about anything other than sleeping. The space was average. The room was clean enough. The bathroom had this great shower---as we'd expected with the Westin.

When we checked out, the manager on duty had heard about the evening before. He offered to give us a free meal at the hotel restaurant. Not sure we'll ever return to use the voucher. It's a shame too, this place is in such an ideal location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel is what I would consider a classic Westin property - relatively new (built in the last couple of years) and in a decent location (easy access to I10 and Beltway 8). The hotel also has bridge access over to the Memorial City mall (and there is also a Target inside the mall). There are many restaurants located within walking and/or driving distance from the mall, as well, including the new City Centre that constantly has new restaurants opening up.

The hotel honors Preferred status and during my most recent stay, the hotel upgraded me to a junior suite. The room was spacious and clean, and the bathroom had a separate bathtub and shower.

I've stayed at this property a couple of times now, and the few times I've interacted with the staff, they have always been pleasant and helpful. I stayed at this hotel most recently on Christmas Eve, and on Christmas Day morning, there was a small stocking filled with chocolates left hanging on our door. What a nice touch!

A notable drawback to this property is that you have to pay for parking - overnight self-parking (with in/out privileges) is $12/night, not including tax.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Greetings; I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We do have a great property in location which lends itself to a lot of enjoyment for our guests. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of having you come back again soon to visit.
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed there for business this November. I was surprised to be at the last floor, the 17th, as I am not in any level of their loyalty program. The hotel looks really good, like an hotel, not fancy/ in the darkness like the Sorella for instance. Marbles all around, giving a feeling of excellency.
Check in no issues, despite late evening, and room very very spacious, bathroom with shower and tub, and two sinks.
Very clean and professional. I quickly checked the executive lounge for breakfast, but it is something you can use only if you are not hungry. Tried also the restaurant for dinner and breakfast - good but not great.
A plus is the link to the Memorial city mall, for shopping if you need, it surely is quite a walk, but in this way you do not need to cross any road.
Recommended for business if your office is close by. The price is steep like any other hotel in Houston ~300$ a night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Greetings; thank you for your review on the hotel. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you were able to enjoy some of the many amenities we offer our guests in order to make their stay comfortable. From everyone on our staff, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to a return visit in the near future.
Mt Holly, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Fred Astaire dance competition was conducted at the Westin December 9, 2012. Although I was the only participant from our family, my wife accompanied me as a spectator. We decided to stay at the Westin instead of driving the 3-hours from San Antonio and back in one day. The welcome was spectacular; the reception persons provided service above what I would call normal greetings and assurances that our stay would be memorable. The hotel was situated comfortably in Houston, making easy on and off I-10. The guest room was roomy, clean and welcoming. The shower was very relaxing-with a rain shower head. The bed was very comfortable; and, I'm very particular. The Grille 024 restaurant provided a good breakfast buffet, but the servers went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. I found the hotel experience very nice. Generally, my wife and I stay at Bed & Breakfast establishments because we enjoy our comfort. However, the Westin made us feel just at home as most B&B's. Coming to or driving through Houston-the Weston is worth the stop.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Greetings; thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on our hotel! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to take advantage of our special amenities that we offer to our guests. I will share your comments with our staff - they will be so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated their service. Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year!
Abcoude, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The service lack finesse and consistency for a AAA - Four Diamond Award hotel. Requests like point credit and weekly email bills are ignored. Issues continued to be unresolved regardless of escalation channels. Location and newer room do not make up for their weak points.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your thoughts. You seem to be an experienced traveler, and you know what to expect from a Four Diamond Award Hotel. You know that this is not an award that is just given away lightly. Admittedly, there is a rare occasion when issues arise and a guest leaves unsatisfied. This is a serious concern to me! I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and would like to ask if you could take the time to contact me directly so we can discuss this in more detail. I make no excuses, but would like the opportunity to apologize personally.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great location, two minutes from I-10. You can walk inside a tunnel with A/C to the Memorial City Mall or next door to the Memorial Hermann Memoriay City Medical Center. Hotel has a complimentary shuttle to business nearby.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at The Westin Houston Memorial City, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Greetings - I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. We do have a great property in a great location which lends itself to a lot of enjoyment for our guests. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of having you come back again soon to visit.

Been to The Westin Houston Memorial City? Share your experiences!