“Good chioce for late night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Don Shula's

Don Shula's
1200 Louisiana Street, Houston, TX 77002 (Downtown)
713-375-4777
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Don Shula's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #574 of 7,287 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Polk
Description: Located in the Hyatt Regency Houston in the Downtown Energy corridor. Shula's serves breakfast, lunch and dinner 365 days a year. We proudly serve the SHULA CUT, Premium Black Angus Brand Beef that meets 10 science based specifications. Private dining available for parties from 4-90.
Detroit, Michigan
“Good chioce for late night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Got in late. We had a good bottle of wine and a little food. Service was very good. Food was good. Don't bother leaving the hotel. They have whatever you want here.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Kansas City, Missouri
“Great steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Had dinner here one night and really enjoyed it. Great service and the meal was great. Would eat here again in the future

Visited March 2014
Manlius, New York
“Awesome food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency. After my teams big win, we decided to celebrate with a great meal. We picked the right spot! Super attentive staff and awesome food. Prices were typical for a high end chain steakhouse. Food was prepared exactly as we ordered.

Visited December 2013
Tennessee, United States
“You can't eat atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

but at Shula's, you'd at least try to take a bite.

When I walked into the Hyatt Regency, I wondered precisely why the heck the Miami Dolphins' famed coach had a restaurant in the home of the Houston Oilers (his day) or Texans (now). A little research later told me this was apparently just another marketing success of his, as he's got restaurants of varying marques in fifteen states.

Since I was staying at the Regency anyway, we were a captive audience, especially since we'd gone to McCormick and Schmick's up the street the night before. Large slabs of red meat seemed to be what the doctor ordered, and since someone else had jumped on the tab at M&S, I could afford it on my trip budget. No, I do not normally eat in that price range.

In the interest of budgeting, I did skip the appetizer. The lobster bisque was a temptation I avoided. I went for the 22 ounce ribeye "cowboy steak". I did order the crab macaroni and cheese out of curiosity. While waiting, the bread was great. Some places do bread well, and this was one. The 48 was something I thought about, but it wasn't a "finish it and it's free" deal. And I'm not as young as I used to be- I don't know if I COULD kill three pounds of steak at a sitting anymore.

The steaks came out, and mine was very good. It was precisely rare, and the grill guy was having a good night as I found the seasoning adequate too.

The crab mac and cheese came in a decent-sized casserole dish, which made me feel a lot better about spending thirteen bucks on a side dish. A white cheese, very crunchy on top, and VERY heavy on the crabmeat. I was again pleasantly surprised by it. Even after sharing with a couple of my tablemates, I had enough left I took it back to my room and ate it for breakfast. Stop laughing. I grew up near the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. Crabmeat makes most anything an acceptable breakfast to me.

Was it the best steak I ever had in my life? Probably not. In the top ten, yes. As many steaks as I have put away in my years, that's still pretty hard to do. Was it a unique experience for me to be eating a steak that good in a place that nice? Pretty much. Dim lighting, game footballs, and impeccable service made it a very different experience from the chow hall on a Texas ranch where I probably DID have the best steak of my life.

Shula's is like the 1972 Dolphins. The team has a plan, and they stick to it. They aim to deliver a high-end steakhouse experience to guys staying at the Regency, and if you're staying at the Regency you're probably traveling without a car and are looking to treat yourself a little to something you're not getting at home. Back home here, going out for a "good" steak dinner is the Outback. This is a different ball game, to force an analogy. But as our convention was ending, a convention of international offshore oil-drillers was coming in with their expense accounts, and I'm sure business was still booming in there as we departed.

Really, I should have gone back down there and gotten another order of the crab mac and cheese to go when I left. That stuff was amazing.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alpine, California
“International quilt show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Expensive restaurant but not as expensive as Spindletop. I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich but instead of fries they allowed me to substitute green beans which I highly recommend cost was $15.00. My girlfriend ordered a hamburger for which she paid $14.95 and a glass of wine which she paid $16.00 for. I think you get the picture. Service was fantastic!

Visited November 2013