“creme de la creme” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“creme de la creme”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

The place to be downtown Houston for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Corner suite high floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

474 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

If you enjoy comfortable surroundings, efficient staff, perks included in the base price, and good food, consider giving this hotel a try. It is located in the midst of a number of other facilities, but offers suites and extra room for a reasonable price. We asked for a room on a higher floor with a view and enjoyed what this offered also. The manager's reception in the evenings was very enjoyable, and the bartender friendly and accommodating. The breakfast in the morning included in the price was wonderful, with delicious cooked to order items. The chef takes pride in his job and it is obvious. The staff in general in the entire hotel was better than most, and we were made to feel as though we were in a pleasant home away from home. The complimentary shuttle is a luxury ride and the driver was great, coming back when it was close to quitting time to pick us up after a special dinner. Since there was a visit to The Westin at The Galleria included in our trip, it was easy to pick the better hotel after comparing them both. The Embassy was easily the winner!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

This is a beautiful property. The friendly staff and the sleeping rooms are simply outstanding. The pool on the roof and sauna were perfect, drinks in the evening and made to order breakfast. Top all this off the Chef Gregory left us with joy and a wonderfully full belly. Kudos Chef Gregory I really hope you get this!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
49th State
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

In 6 months we have stayed at 3 different Embassy Suites and have had consistent problems with having the rooms cool down at night. You can put the thermostat down below 70, but you cannot get the room to cool. You always have to call in the maintenance guy who wants to argue with you. My husband previously was in the plumbing & heating business, so he knows there are controls to prevent you from using the air conditioning at night.

Specific to this hotel, it too was hot, and we too had to get them to turn the heat down and the air on for the night. Also, this hotel had no plug in the tub to bathe. We requested one immediately, and called again the next day with a 2nd request. When the maintenance person showed up with a toilet plunger, we knew not to stay there again and checked out.

Room Tip: If you like to turn the heat down to sleep, avoid Embassy Suites.
Cowpens, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I just returned from a multi-night stay at this wonderful hotel. The facility is beautiful and the employees are friendly, helpful and just plain enjoyable. I recently stayed at another Embassy Suites and this one far surpassed it! I will return here when I am in Houston again.

That said, the cups in the room were not cleaned properly, but there are always disposable options.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel is very new and offers great value for money with the complimentary breakfast and happy hour. The staff are extremely helpful and the business centre offers free internet and printing for those airline boarding passes. Wifi also free in the rooms too. Hot coffee always on hand during the day in the lobby and the shop has a reasonable selection of last minute essentials. It is close to a number of good restaurants, the Hard Rock Cafe, a good book store and the shuttle will take you anywhere in Downtown. It is also only 10 minutes walk to the Astros stadium. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a conference. I was there for 4 nights, 5 days. I chose this one in particular because it had complimentary made to order breakfast, complimentary happy hour daily from 5:30-7:30 (beer, wine, rail drinks), free internet and business center, and a shuttle for the area. It is located across the street from the Toyota center, 2 blocks from the Conference Center, and about a 1/2 mile from Minute Maid Park. It is also located next to the shopping district. There were lots of restaurants and some shopping. The House of Blues and the Dirt Bar are 2 blocks away, as well as a bowling alley and a dueling piano bar. There is a grocery store/market about 1 ½ blocks from the hotel. You can either buy groceries or eat there. They are somewhat allergen friendly.

The check-in area at the hotel was small, and they only had 2 people checking everyone in. It took about 10 minutes until it was my turn for check-in. The lady that took care of me was friendly, however, not very helpful. I saw the woman next to me receive a map of the area with directions on where things are in the area. I did not receive that type of service. I went upstairs to the 7th floor. It is a two-room suite, which had a king size bed in the bedroom. The living space had 3 lamps, a couch, a table with 4 chairs, a flat screen TV with a stand, and a small coffee table. The room was pretty spacious. It also had a wet bar with a microwave and refrigerator. The coffee/tea pot and accessories were also placed there. Two bottles of water were placed in the refrigerator at no charge (I did ask).

The bathroom was really spacious, and had a very large shower stall (no bathtub, but that was fine). It had a glass door that swung in and out, which I thought was odd at the time, but then realized that came in handy when I needed the towel after my shower, as the towel rack was on the door outside of the shower. The water pressure and spray were acceptable, but I would have preferred a stronger pressure. There was one sink with plenty of counter space. I did not care for the water spray and temperature in the bathroom sink. The hot and cold were very sensitive when turned on, and it was very hard to get the temperature how I wanted it. The lighting was excellent (for all the ladies interested in putting their make-up on in the light). The brand of toiletries provided was Crab Tree and Evelyn. I personally don’t care for their products, so I’m glad I brought my own toiletries. The hair dryer was cheap, but it got the job done.

The bedroom had a closet with a full length mirror on the inside of one of the doors. It also had a desk/vanity table and chair with a vanity mirror, but given that the lighting was great in the bathroom, I didn’t need it. A king size bed, two bedside tables, each with a lamp, a chair, and a dresser that held a flat screen TV were in the bedroom. The thermostat was located in the bedroom. All the lamps in the room had outlets on them, which made it easy to charge my cell phone and ipod. The usually amenities were all there. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were a little too puffy for my taste. I did sleep well, though.

The 3rd day I was there, I was relaxing in the living area waiting for the complimentary happy hour, when it all of a sudden smelled like somebody just used my bathroom. I checked the bathroom, and noticed the water in the toilet was really low, and making a gurgling sound. It took 20 minutes for maintenance to come up. He explained that the pipe is shared with the above bathroom, and air gets into the pipes. Whatever. The issue is, it’s a problem, but they know how to fix it, at least temporarily. My room smelled peppermint fresh the rest of my stay. So if this happens to you, make sure you call for maintenance. This issue would not defer me from staying here, since it was fixable…

I used the workout room, and it was ok, nothing special or out of the ordinary. The elliptical machines and treadmills all had personal TVs attached to each of them. I did not use the pool, but there was a small area to lay out by the pool on one side, and tables and chairs located on the other side. The pool was pretty small, but at least there was one. There was also a Jacuzzi. I partook in the complimentary full breakfast once during my stay, and as long as you ask for an omelet cooked to order, it’s pretty good. They do have egg beaters and egg whites, as well. The already made scrambled eggs were cold and rubbery. The happy hour also had snacks, but weren’t very allergen friendly. On the first day, I did go down to the restaurant for lunch, but not only was the menu not allergen friendly, it was really expensive. I was in no mood to play around with the menu for those prices. There are plenty of places to eat outside of the hotel. Check out my other reviews for restaurants in the area if interested.

Overall, I would stay here again if the opportunity arose.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Embassy Suites Houston Downtown? Share your experiences!