“Nice Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #277 of 451 hotels in Houston
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Nice Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I recently go to stay at this hotel - the room was well appointed - and in good shape, nicely air conditioned.

Having stayed in a number of hotels recently I was very surprised by the great value for the room.

The Hotel staff was very courteous and went out of their way to be hopeful. The internet was fast - I was able to stream a NBC Universal sports in my room without any issues. The Hotel is a only a short distance to the airport with a free shuttle.

Given the option I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Pros: It's the very cheapest rate I could find anywhere, and it's close to the airport. The sheets and bathroom are clean, although the spread has a stain. I never saw any bugs.

Meh: Breakfast is what's become the standard "continental" breakfast these days: coffee, juice, apples and assorted grain items. Not overly impressed, but hey it's free. The rooms face west so they get full afternoon sun. When I checked in my room was well over 90 degrees but the AC eventually cooled it down to a comfortable temp so I just left it at that temp all the time.

Con: The WiFi is horrible. I design WiFi networks for a living, and my mother could design one better than this. It's powered by Ubiquiti, whose PC cards cost more than their access points, so that should tell you something. HoJo has three different SSIDs (why, oh why, do people *do* that? One is sufficient), called "Howard Jhonson", "HowardJhonson1" and "HowardJhonson2" (yes including the misspellings and inconsistent space). It's open authentication, but you get redirected to a guest portal and have to type in the password. Every. Single. Hour. In the middle of a transaction. Arg. Their ISP is Comcast and speedtest indicates that bandwidth should be good, but it fluctuates spastically, especially affecting skype and voip. I blame the Ubiquiti. Lose that junk and buy Ruckus. Please. I'm serious: the place is cheap and reasonably clean, but I won't stay here again because the wifi sucks so bad.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
lufkin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have stayed here at leat 14 days this year. This past week 7 days. It's close to the airport. The road Greens is terrible as far as on your vehicle heading towards the airport. It's close to a couple of fast food restaurants next door to a Shell which this store doesn't have newspapers????? The hotel offers a continental breakfast, it has internet and wi-fi. The rooms are nice ac worked well this time but previously it wasn't the greatest. The room had a broken computer chair but it was replaces promptly. They have direct tv but not a good package just basic. The price was excellent for 7 days and I definitely will be staying again in the future.

Room Tip: In this particular room which was downstairs the people above had running kids so think abt going up...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed here yesterday and I thought I should inform everyone that this place was terrible! I would not let my dogs stay here. I had to switch rooms due to the AC not working then the second room had stained sheets, roaches and the previous owners shoes as well as a filthy carpet. I booked it through hotwire.The manager on duty was playing with her phone as I expressed my dissatisfaction and she could careless. I also asked for toliet paper and was told that I had to wait until the maid came in for her shift. I decided to go to the lobby and get the toilet paper and she said I had to wait for the maid. I cannot believe that this place is open!! Dont get me wrong the place is updated but the lack of cleanliness, customer service and the rotten fresh fruit takes the cake. BEWARE Stay at your own risk!

Room Tip: 211 AC does not work and 212 has stained carpet and bugs
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I am hesitant to even write this for fear of letting the cat out of the bag, but places like this should be given their just reward.
In the last two years I have stayed in well over 50 hotels with prices ranging from 40.00 to 220.00 per night; four of which were in this particular hotel. By far, for the money, this is the best room value I have seen, which compared with other hotels, would easily be in the 120.00 plus range; this is not your typical 55.00 a night room.
The location is maybe three miles from airport in a quiet but slightly industrial area. The grounds are well kept; the rooms are clean and good sized with great lighting. There is free Wi-Fi, with frig & microwave in every room.
I would like to give my kudos to housekeeping and maintenance ….you do it well, which is a reflection on the ownership itself.
There, the cats out of the bag ….this place better not be booked next time I’m in town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Holt, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

When 80,000 oil people descend on Houston for 5 days, hotel accommodations are rare! We were fortunate enough to find 2 rooms here and booked on-line ($69.95) ahead of time. The hotel is close to IAH and has complimentary shuttle service. This was the *much* better option than driving north to IAH (from Seabrook) during morning rush-hour traffic.

The front desk staff and morning driver were very very nice; the evening driver - not so much. He was 20 minutes late picking us up.

However, the rooms were quiet, breakfast is included, the rate was reasonable (for a last-minute booking). My bathroom floor could have used a good scrubbing, but again, the place was nice enough and I was thankful for a quiet and clean place to sleep!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Amman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I've stayed in the hotel 19 nights all peaceful and good. The hotel is clean, good room service, and A/C. The coin laundry is helpful. One good issue is that its good for Arab and Muslim people as its close to Al-Wadi restaurant who serves Halal meals. The manager of the hotel is very kind and used to provide help and advice when needed. I really enjoyed the stay at HoJo Express Inn Houston and would like to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Houston? Share your experiences!