“IF YOU WANT REAL HEALING BODYWORK!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 170 attractions in Houston
Type: Health Clubs
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Located in the Historical Heights District, this spa caters to the massage "snob" (haha) and couple's who are looking for a romantic get away. They only serve one client or couple at a time and were voted #1 on Citysearch 2010 for Best Couple's Massage, Best Shiatsu Massage, & Best Pre-natal Massage and were in the top 3 for Best Sports, Deep tissue, & Therapeutic Massage Voted Best Massage in Houston on Citysearch 2011
Pompano Beach, FL, United States
“IF YOU WANT REAL HEALING BODYWORK!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

While visiting my parents in Houston last week I booked a massage at the Petite Retreat in the Heights Section of Houston. The spot is clean, quaint, friendly and definitely not over the top as far as a comparable Destination Spa with a sauna, steam and the like. What is over the top is the body healing treatment. Chrysti Sherwood, the owner, definitely understands how ones body works and knows how to get to the pain. I have had chronic lower back pain for over ten years now and after just three visits I am much more mobile and do not have the same morning pain as before I had Chrysti and her competent staff work on me. I highly recommend to anyone that suffers real discomfort and wants a genuine massage make an appointment and visit the Petite Retreat. I was told that they specialize in teaching couples how to massage each other and in couples massage as well.

Visited May 2013

Houston, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Small Business, Huge Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

First off, you can not compare this place to your run of the mill corporate massage parlors. The facility is actually small, but you are going for a massage, not aerobics or yoga. Plus, you will be face down in the dark for the majority of the massage. It's definitely worth the experience!

Cons:
1. I was able to map the location using Google Maps and it's actually where Google puts it. However, the signage is small and you have to be in the process of looking for it, otherwise you will miss it. (Behind the beauty salon, use gate as if you are going into the back yard)

2. There's not exactly a check in desk, so you walk in thinking you are in the wrong place if no one is there to welcome you.

Pros:
1. The best part I enjoyed about the place is that I didn't feel like a number. When you are checked in, you are asked how do you enjoy your massage, level of pressure, areas you may want more attention to. This is done even after you have filled out the form. It's a nice personal touch.

2. The therapists...are awesome! I've had massages other places and they were great. But this one was...I'll just say that they found every knot in my back and shoulders. Walked out feeling like jello. (Just a warning...be specific about the pressure you desire. Pain threshold is subjective)

3. The snacks and mimosas that are provided before the massage are a really nice touch. I'm sure it's covered in the price of the massage, but it's better than just getting a magazine while waiting for your therapist.

I will definitely return!

Visited May 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
10 attraction reviews
“First massage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I can't compare to other places since this was my first massage. But it was amazing. It's in a converted Heights bungalow with a cute court yard with nice landscaping. We were served mimosas and snacks with strawberries. The atmosphere in the room was nice and really put you in the relaxing mood. The price, in my opinion, was high. But the other experienced-massage-receivers said the price was good. Will definitely go back.

Visited April 2013
Orange, Texas
“Great overall experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband scheduled a training couples massage for him to train and me to enjoy. I didn't feel like I could return the favor on the same day because I'm usually wiped after a massage so I slept on the table next to him while he got his massage. The atmosphere was perfect and the package was tailored to our needs. Sandra was our therapist and she was amazing. I like medium tissue and she asked frequently if the pressure was ok. Everything was perfect. We will return and swap places and I'll get a lesson next time.

Visited January 2013
Houston, TX
“Wonderful massage!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Great prenatal massages-can't wait to go back after I have the baby to enjoy a "regular" massage

thepetiteretreat, Owner at The Petite Retreat, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thanks for the great review! We love you guys! Congrat's on your new baby, it was wonderful to see you back at the spa. Hope to see you soon.