“Very comfortable hotel with a wonderful staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #130 of 455 Hotels in Houston
Texas
“Very comfortable hotel with a wonderful staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

This is a very comfortable hotel with a wonderful staff amongst other new hotels on Houston’s west side energy corridor.
The way the hotel is laid out and constructed, you can tell space was a concern, however they did well with what little space they had. Although the rooms are somewhat smaller then the average room, they are quite comfortable and well appointed.
The pool/hot tub area as well as the fitness center is located towards the back of the hotel giving it a feeling of being almost separated from the hotel. Which I feel is very nice as this is primarily a business hotel. They have a wonderful little area with comfortable high end outdoor furniture with a fire pit just off the pool area for guest to relax and enjoy on a nice night. There is a phone nearby that calls directly into room service which is nice if you need to order drinks from the bar or dinner from the restaurant to be delivered outside as you relax.
The fitness center had top of the line equipment and most looked brand new. In fact, it had better equipment then the gym I pay to go to.
The staff is the bright spot here; everyone I came into contract with on my stay was very professional and friendly and made me feel comfortable during my stay.
The bar area was very nice and relaxing with a water fall just outside on the patio in which you can relax as you have a night cap. What surprised me is the bar was very busy on the nights of my visit, seemed like a lot was going on. This wasn’t your typical hotel bar where you may see a couple of people if the hotel is lucky., the bar is admittedly small, however, having 15 to 20 people on a weekend in a small hotel bar they must be doing something right. This is a very busy hotel on weeknights and sells out quite often, weekends tend to be less busy.
Only a few things come to mind as far as improvements that I hope the hotel will consider in the future,, the first is, they desperately need on demand movies, at this time, movies are not available at this hotel, they do have HBO however, but as far as watching a first run movie on demand, it’s not going happen here. I strongly urge the hotel to consider adding this feature. The other thing that came to my attention was the outside entrance to the hotel looks drab and very plain, a few large potted plants outside could go a long away in making it look more inviting. It’s a shame, since once you are inside the hotel, the lobby is very nice and well laid out. Does not match the outside front entrance at all.
Parking is free, and they do have wireless internet in the rooms as well as a business center and an area they sells chips/drinks in the lobby. Good quality soaps and hair products by Bath & Body Works is a nice touch The beds are very comfortable with excellent sheets…you just sink into them, now I know why they have a brochure in the room , that lets you know where you can purchase the mattress and sheets, its very tempting purchase to say the least.
There has been a few complaints from pervious reviews on the noise from the adjacent freeway, this was not a problem for me as I got a room towards the back of the hotel facing away from the freeway, if you are a light sleeper I would suggest you get a room towards the back of the hotel as not to disrupt your sleep. Although this is defiantly a business hotel first and foremost, and does a wonderful job in doing that, I would not hesitate to stay here for a weekend leisure trip as well. I found the hotel comfortable, relaxing, with a great bar/restaurant and friendly l staff…

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, get a room towards the back of the hotel to avoid noise form the freeway...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
paulaboop, General Manager at Houston Marriott Energy Corridor, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. We so value all our guest comments and take each comment seriously. I know how you feel about the movies and it will be something we will be looking into for the future. We do have a full line-up with premium channels, but realize more and more that some guests want to select movies. As for our landscaping, we took a real hit during the summer drought, that contines still. We are looking forward to our seasonal changeout for the fall this month and when spring rolls around, we hope to add many plants and pots, weather permitting, and we get some much needed rain. I can tell from your comments you touched a lot of areas within our hotel, and I am so grateful you enjoyed your stay. I hope to meet you on another trip to Houston. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Paula Blackwell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Fairly new hotel, all the amenities. A bit noisy on the freeway, but very convenient and the staff is first class.

Room Tip: get one of the 29 rooms, 529, 629, etc
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to write a comment on our hotel, especially recognizing our outstanding staff. I appreciate you as a Marriott guest and hope you visit us again soon. On your next visit, talk to the front desk about a quieter room, and if availability permits, they will be happy to accommodate you.

Paula Blackwell
Austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We thought-gee, Marriott-upscale, nicer than we normally go to usually for just a trip for a party not vacation. Tt will really be special. Surprise...this hotel is for business travelers who will be working out of here. Its really geared for them. The pool area is separated from the rest of the hotel-back at the back w/a view of burned up magnolias and oil storage tanks-very large ones-the big kind and not a lick of shade. The bldg is oriented east/west so the pool area and all the rooms have the sun in the morning or in the afternoon-no escape. It lacks any warmth-just plain jane dull and although we were there Fri and Sat we saw no one in the restaurant-it was dark. The staff was decent it was just that it was so sterile.

Room Tip: Beside a freeway so I would go to the back
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
paulaboop, Manager at Houston Marriott Energy Corridor, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Thank you for taking time to comment about your stay at the Mariott Energy Corridor. Yes, I will admit, the brutal heat we have experienced this summer has taken a toll on our plant life at the pool area. And once we get some nice growth, the landscaping will seem much more plush. Our restaurant is closed on the weekends, except for breakfast, but we do serve Lunch and Dinner in our Derrick Bar - Full Menu. Our hotel is located in the heart of the Energy Corridor and most of our business does come during the week, but we love our weekend guests. I am happy you found our hotel to be nice and clean, and I am truly sorry it did not meet your expectations during your weekend stay. I want to invite you to come again and ask for me personally. I would love to met you and can promise you our staff wil go out of our way to be serving and friendly.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011 via mobile

The good - new hotel, very nice for a Marriott; HD programming on flat screens: well laid out and appointed rooms

The bad - gym didn't always have fresh towels or wipes for equipment

The ugly - room service options are limited and not many fresh and healthy options - hummus is good but my salmon was dry and sitting in a pool of butter

• Stayed February 2011
SoCal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

A seemingly attractive property...quite new and reasonably well appointed. It should be a great business hotel. But...

Let's address the built-in issues first. The traffic noise in the rooms in this hotel is completely unacceptable. I've stayed in lots of modern hotels right near busy highways, but this is the first time I've ever had to resort to earplugs to overcome the traffic noise. My room was in the center of the floor, so I would imagine that the rooms closer to I-10 are even worse.

The attempt to make the bathrooms modern includes sinks that are so shallow you can't wash your hands under the faucet without touching the basin. And in my room, the choice in the sink was scalding hot or cold...no blend in between.

And then there's what I can only hope was a one-time issue. As I prepared for bed on the first night of my stay, I noticed a spot on the pillow...not necessarily a big deal. Except when I pulled back the covers, the bed sheet was full of hairs...not just one or two...enough to prove that someone had been sleeping in my bed. Ick.

To their credit, management took action. Though not quite as expeditiously as I might have hoped. The clearly flustered desk clerk first put my call on hold for several minutes, before returning to say she was sending a colleague to inspect another room to be sure it was clean and ready for me to move to it. She called back a few minutes later to say she was sending her colleague with keys to the new room, which arrived reasonably promptly, along with a basic apology. And no offer to help me move my belongings. Not even a coupon for a free drink. I'd rate the response B+.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I stayed here for the 2nd time recently and to be honest it was on the whole a great hotel. The only thing letting it down was the bar and restaurant as the service was generally bad, paricularly when one member of staff was there. Would stay here again but would like to see an improvement in this area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Milford, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

"I was here for training for 7 days and my self and 7 others were were treated like "out casts just for trying to find a place to meet in the hotel to study. They are only interested is making money here. Then there is the attitude. Yes, there are great people that work here to help make your stay enjoyable, but god help you if you get the wrong ones. You know who you are. We will NEVER return,

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Houston Marriott Energy Corridor? Share your experiences!