“Don't stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2419 Riverside Drive, Houston, TX 77004   |
Ranked #286 of 457 Hotels in Houston
“Don't stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time visiting Houston and didn't know the areas to know what was a good area to stay. It was sitting at the corner of a residential neighborhood that clearly didn't look safe. The staff was friendly but the room was awful! It was old food still left in our room by the microwave and a dead bug in the shower. There were four sheets on the beds with a thin blanket sandwiched in between them to make up for not having real blankets. The top sheet on one of the beds had a burn hole in it and the mini blanket at the foot of the bed had dried up stains on them. I pulled the sheets back and they had stains on them as well as the mattress pads underneath. I went to the office to let them know how unhappy I was with the room and they gave us a full refund and we found a better motel in a safer area in Katy which is about 30 minutes from downtown Houston and was cheaper than ABV. Everything you need is right there in Katy close by (stores, resturants, etc). I would not recommend this motel to anyone unless you really need to be close to downtown and want something cheap. I would suggest taking that extra drive to stay in a nicer place and area. Its worth the extra drive.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend and was happy about the overall value offered. The hotel is very minimalistic but it is well positioned if you have business downtown. Rooms are quiet and spacious. No breakfast to speak of and also the neighborhood is not the best...

Room Tip: This is a motel style hotel and all rooms are accessible from the outside
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

There is no indoor hallway; all rooms open to the parking lot. There were no extra towels or tissues. Our room key did not work one night and had to get re-swiped. It's just off the highway, but the neighborhood to the east was not particularly inviting.
These were not big concerns of ours, and in other respects the hotel was just fine (clean room, courteous staff), but others may find such "features" unacceptable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We traveled to Houston for an appointment at MD Anderson in February and the hotel staff was excellent. The hotel was clean and the front desk staff was very nice. I had originally booked 2 nights due to not knowing how long the appointment would take. After we met with the doctor and he gave us the clearance to leave, I called the hotel and I was able to cancel the second night staff. We had to come back to MD Anderson in March and we stayed here. The rooms were clean and the staff was nice and pleasant to work with as always. We will be traveling back to MD Anderson in June and we have decided this is where we will be staying going forward because the room rate was very reasonable and the rooms we received were clean. Our rooms have been in the front so I have felt safe especially since they have security cameras. There isn't much to their continental breakfast. If you want a good breakfast, you may want to stop by McDonalds or somewhere. They are easy to find from the interstate. I would recommend this hotel to someone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I recently spent three nights at the hotel. I had little interaction with the staff, but checking in and out of my room was quick and easy. I liked the location. The hotel has quick access to the South Freeway. I appreciated the room's amenities: mini fridge, microwave, and flat screen television. There was no iron, but I remembered from other guest reviews to bring my own. I did not like the cleanliness of the room. There were stains in the carpet and the microwave needed to be cleaned. However, I felt that this was the only setback about the hotel. Overall, I liked my stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Beeville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Had to stay a couple of days for a visit to the M D Anderson Medical Center. Easy to find even though I've never been to Houston. Exterior a little the worse for wear (outside trash cans need attention, cigarette butts on sidewalk, etc.) but OK. Included mini-fridge and microwave came in very handy. Bath and shower enclosed with sink counter open to the room. Ice, glasses and all necessary's in evidence. Bed was not up to my standards for comfort and my back hurt. Television was enclosed in an entertainment center (includes DVD player if you want to bring your own movies) that was right at the foot of the bed for easy viewing and there was a nice selection of channels. Maybe I should have asked at the desk but there was no remote in my room and I had to manually change channels (took me right back to the '50's). It was a little noisy being right off of South Freeway (I live in a rural area) but not terrible; in fact the second night I didn't even notice it and slept well. Everyone was friendly. Even though I had maps and a Tom Tom for backup another guest gave me a more direct route to follow and it was amazingly easy to get to the treatment center. When I left, the desk man gave me good directions to follow to exit Houston rapidly. No complaints about cleanliness or maid service; all up to snuff. I did run the A/C. It worked well and I was surprised at how quietly it ran. I did not try the free breakfast on my stay so I can't comment on that but yes, the dining area is small. Manager was a nice guy and very accomodating.. I'll have surgery soon and need a weeks stay in the area. I was quoted less than $45/night (before taxes) for a 7 day stay. Very affordable, didn't see any bedbugs (and after reading the other review on this site, I looked) and pretty reasonable accomodations. Neighborhood is a little spotty so I took a 357 snubby with me for the evenings (this is Texas after all). I wouldn't worry about strolling the area in the daytime. Also very easy to get to and from the medical area so don't let the lack of a shuttle deter you. I can get lost everywhere and even I didn't have problems. You could do much worse and the value can't be beat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is a good hotel to stay in if you don't want to be too far from the downtown area, but at half the cost of a downtown hotel. It is near the museum district and lovely Hermann park. Public transport is possible, though the light rail stop is a good 20 minute walk, crossing the bridge over the 288 freeway.
The room has some signs of wear and tear but was fine and clean, which is important. Breakfast was self service and confined to a tiny corner of the entrance lobby, and there are only three tables, so you need to get there early. The manager was friendly and helpful, and did a few searches to look for information for me to make my visit more comfortable. One word of warning - this is a dodgy area at night, so avoid walking in the street or neighbouring streets especially in the evening. Driving back to the hotel at night I spotted quite a few dodgy individuals hanging about the streets, looking up to no good, so beware.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Medical Center North? Share your experiences!